Back to Simplicity...

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by djvista1, Jun 8, 2006.

1. djvista1

djvista1 Member

Hey everyone,
    In recent years as I have allowed my true hippie feelings to come to the surface I have noticed I no longer feel comfortable being around certain technologies like the internet and other tech gadgets. I walk around at times and notice people are either on their cell phones or playing their Ipods and seem so into themselves. I have mixed feelings about the 21st century I guess and would love for people to get back to the ways of the 1960's-1970's way of thinking, to put down the stuff and be more open to talking to your fellow man or women...
    Does anyone feel like this at times?
    I do...

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

seeing as you posted this on the 'net, I'm thinking you see a value in this new version of groupmind (see leary's writings on cyberspace) even while trying to escape it.
    I think that tools are that, not replacements for face-to-face experiences, but for this forum, a lot of the (especially) kids are in areas they see as hostile to their POV. Woodstock Child comes to mind.
    If having this tech enhances cosmic communication, I don't see it as a bad thing.
    How simple do we go? No tapes ever, no electricity? Even the Amish make compromises.

3. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I hear what you're saying djvista, but I think it's not the gadgets but how we use them that reflect todays society. The internet is a great tool, but as drumminmama says it is no substitute for face-to-face connections. We don't need cellphones, but they come in handy when trying to find your kids in a crowd. My ipod jammed full of live dead and other great music is great. Use technology to your benifit, don't let it rule you. I feel the most at home in the woods away from society. There is nothing wrong with that experience being enhanced by knowing your teenager is but a call away on his cellphone or to enjoy a little background music coming from an ipod. ....Or that that bonfire you are enjoying was prepared in minutes with a chainsaw rather than an axe. Use the technology do not let it use you.

4. Crosslight

Crosslight Banned

I have sweet memories of those days.....I used to never look back, I had the future in front of me.......today still is (and will always be), and I'm much pretty the same, so if one day i find a time machine I'll set the timer to the year 3001...

5. deadhead716

deadhead716 Member

Well, about the chainsaw and the axe, I think that a lot of the technology that speeds things up really takes somthing out of the experience. Most modern folks look at the goal rather than how you get there, when the latter is what really matters. Sure, using a chainsaw saves a lot of work, but there's a certain feel to using an axe to accomplish the same thing you don't get with a chainsaw. It's almost medative in some aspects. Every other weekend I have to go around my pasture and shovel up horse shit, but recently I've realized that it really is a nice, relaxing experience. You don't have to really concentrate on anything, so your mind can just wander. Have this all automated, and you really miss out on that relaxing experience.

About the technology thing, I very much agree with drumminmama and freeinalaska. It can be useful, but don't let it use you. Still, every once in a while I like to leave all my technology at home and just head out into a forest or take a hike. Great experience.

Use of shrooms have also taught me a bit about how technology affects the brain (psycologically, I mean). Back-to-the-basics experiences are extremely important for a healthy mind.

6. Shambhala Peace

Shambhala Peace Senior Member

Time has certainly changed. Relatively speaking. It used to be that we didn't mind waiting a couple of minutes to connect to the internet (C'mon, you know you remember those days of 33 kps dial-up!), now we must be constantly connected. Even that's evolving. DSL used to be fast, now it's cable - which is faster than DSL. It's only a matter of time before something is faster than cable and THAT'S obsolete. They have done studies (I can see if I can find sources if anyone desires it) on the value of the second. SECOND. People got mad if e-mail "took too long" to get to the reciever. We are talking about seconds lag. People want things instanteous.

I think that if anything needs to be changed, or worked on, it's that people need to slow down. With all this speed to get things done, you would think people would have the opportunity to sit and enjoy what is around them. But they would rather things go faster, and spend the extra time piling on more work. Relax! I enjoy the internet, television, my ipod, though I refuse to use a cellphone. But I make sure I appreciate all that is around me in the world. Hence my herb garden and bike rides. I have begun to become a more peaceful person because of it.

I find myself wishing seconds lasted longer - so I would have more time to enjoy life.

7. djvista1

djvista1 Member

Yes I agree,

I think it just makes my head spin to see alot of people walking around with cellphones seemingly strapped to their ears as they walk around, it just makes me wish they would put it down long enough to talk to a human being next to them so I'll always have mixed feelings about all of the technology blooming out there, it's nice at times and yes the technology has had control over me, it's easier just to numb out in front of a computer or tv than to get up and do something constructive. I think I reached a point where I needed to get up for a breath of fresh air and find inner peace for myself...

8. OnlyOne

OnlyOne Banned

cool toolz in duh pawz uv fuulz are an inevidable kataztuffy.

9. tuatara

tuatara Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

chainsaws are a thing of the past now ...they use harvesters in the woods ..takes about 30 cords of wood just to pay for the machine and operating cost per day ........chainsaws are old ..they had them at least since the 40s ........i still have a couple of old ones from the 50s here .my grandfather's ......thank god i don't have to cut with one of them ..they weighed a ton .....nowadays ,chainsaws are lighter and more powerful but alas they ain't built to last

10. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I'm with you there. We implemented a no cell phone policy at home. I just bothers me to see a teenager constantly fiddling with a cell phone.
    The chainsaw is probably not a great example of todays technology in the sense that djvista intended. I put a chainsaw in the necessity catagory while cellphones, internet and ipods and nice to have, but could be done without. I hear what you are saying about weilding an axe, but I cut 20 cords of wood each summer. I sell four or five for extra cash around christmas, burn about 3 in bonfires and use the rest as my sole heating and cooking fuel for the winter. My saw is my friend.
    Not so in rural America.

11. bamboo

bamboo Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I remember the day when one had to catch an angry beaver and hold him by the scruff of the neck and the tail and then squeeze his balls real hard to get him to gnaw down trees...hell, chain saws are a lot easier to use........just not as much fun.

12. Shambhala Peace

Shambhala Peace Senior Member

:rolleyes:

:p ;)

13. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I too have always disliked - for years now - how much people were into their stuff... It's all about the designer clothes and the cars and the latest technoligical thingy.... it's so frustrating! People are amazed when they come to my house for a few days.... I'm always in the garden, I barely use my computer and I hardly watch tv at all....

14. Hoppípolla

Hoppípolla Senior Member

yeah the modern capitalist world encourages materialism and basically shallow, money obsessed personalities. it's a great shame, and a tragedy of modern society. our modern technology is a powerful and useful tool, but let's face it we have no idea how to use it.