back pain..

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by iamwhatiam, Aug 23, 2005.

1. iamwhatiam

iamwhatiam Banned

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem:

I had been doing some yoga nearly everyday (on my own) but never go to a class. And I have been doing poses/stretches that I like best, but never the integrated step-by-step processes or in the order they are suggested. I hadn't had any trouble for a while and was getting pretty flexible. Then I stopped doing yoga for about a month or two, and started back up again - doing the poses I like best. then my back started hurting. Now I have to be careful if I do any back-bends and I have also noticed my lower back hurts a bit after doing downward-dog. i don't think i am overstretching, but i don't know what could have caused it.

My back's been hurting for a couple weeks now. I want to continue with my yoga every day if I can. Is it really necessary to do the stretches in the suggested order? or am I not getting the full benefit? anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for any replies!

2. tumbledownDNA

tumbledownDNA Member

yeah, i got neck/upper back pains from downward dog and the forward bend. i wouldn't worry too much, take a break - yoga's not about forcing your natural limits. then, just don't stretch as far the first few times. if you took a break, normal american living probably tightened u back up a bit. it'll just take a bit to loosen back up. but the more you fret, the more tense your going to stay.