Back and chest acne...embarrassing

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Tiny dancer, May 20, 2004.

1. Tiny dancer

Tiny dancer Member

Okay, this is a little embarrassing, but what the hell...

My back and chest are plagued by acne. I am embarrassed to wear tank top or v-neck shirts. I've had this problem for a while. I've tryed neutrogena acne body wash, which i hoped would be helpful....but this damn acne is so stubborn...it hasnt seemed to improve at all. I use nautral soap in the shower, dont use lotions, dont use clingy tops, i wash my sheets often, drink lots of water......sheeeesh. I dont know what to do. I dont know what it could be that is causing this! Maybe i've got some chemical imbalance going on, which might be causing my hormones to go wacko. I am also stressed out from work and other things going on in my personal life, which i know may induce acne..but...c'mon, there must be something i can do to better this body acne situation. i can be patient, but the thing is, i have had this problem for months......

I dont like to whine and comlain, but i am feeling a little desperate at this point. i would really appreciate if someone would offer some feedback. Thanks.

~Linda

2. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

How old are you? I had acne on my shoulders and upper back when I was a teenager. It went away after a few years. It is very embarassing. I can't think of anything else that you could do that you aren't already doing. sorry I can't be of more help, but I do know what you are going through.

3. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

lol ur liek my friend sam, she has backne... so she doesnt wear low shirts either.... I dont know if there is a solution... maybe changing your diet? or did you already try that I forget what you said. sorry I cant be of more assistance, but hey, you're not alone...

4. TheLittleOne

TheLittleOne Senior Member

i went through that phase too, around 13-15. it goes away, dont worry. and dont pick!

5. Cornball1

Cornball1 Member

Try cutting sugar out of your diet, that helped me a lot. Also try to get a little sun on your back if you can, the sun kills the bacteria that cause acne.

6. *Anne85*

*Anne85* Member

go to the dermatologist. i had acne too, but then i started using retin-a, and it helped a lot. retin-a is pretty strong stuff...but its the only thing that cleared everything up. just go see a dermatologist and they'll hook u up with what u need...

7. Tiny dancer

Tiny dancer Member

surgmag...I am 19.

Hey thanks everyone....its comforting knowing that this is not so uncommon. I would like to go to a dermatologist, but i cant afford right that right now. I am going to try cutting sugar out of my diet and see how that works...if it doesnt work, well, its probably good that i cut down on the sweets anyway. Thanks all.

8. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

Try to keep your hair off your back, too...keep it up or something as much as possible. And buff! I rub a little Apricot Scrub all over a couple times a week. It feels nice. I think it helps, too. :) And I always use my little buffing glove. ;)

9. neckienoo

neckienoo Member

I have been breaking out too! This has helped me out. Avoid any products with oil and /or wax. Soap can cause leave a pore clogging film on your skin. Try bathing in baking soda (pour a buch in) or sea salts everyday for a week; they really purify your skin. If the baths make you feel dry you can moisturize with glycerine and water. Once or twice per week exfoliate your back and chest with lemon juice. Apply it with some cotton pads and leave it on for like ten minutes, then take your salt bath. Love and peace...neckienoo.

10. ImaPeach

ImaPeach Member

acne is also a symptom of polycystic ovaries, something few people have heard of but is pretty common nonetheless. You might wanna do some research to make sure you dont have the other symptoms (ie irregular periods, unexplainable weight gain).

otherwise, off to the dermatologist with ye!

11. loverofthewoods

loverofthewoods Member

I've heard Vitamin B5 works really well...something to do with the way your body gets rid of fat..or something like that...avacados are great for the skin...as are so many other veggies. don't eat a lot of meat, it has a lot of fatty things in it, obviously..definately tune in to what you are and aren't eating..maybe check out www.acne.com

12. Asparagus

Asparagus Member

i had the same thing for years. even being a veg and cutting out sugar didnt help. DO keep your hair off your back. i noticed that as my hair got longer, the acne moved right along with it. and, altho i hate to support chemicals and big companies, proactiv cleared all my acne right up. now that its clear, i dont have to use it all the time, but still once in a while. if yo can get proactiv they have a 100% money back guarantee. good luck, i know how hard it is.

13. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I also chime in with keep the hair up, I can get acne along my waistline from the leave-in conditioner on my ends!

I stumbled onto this:
    take 3-4 asprin, real asprin, and moisten them in a shallow bowl or cup. Use this with some liquid soap (Dr. Bronner's peppermint) as a scrub.
    This breaks up the oils and the surface tension the oils create to allow deeper pore cleaning. I do this at most once a week.
    The same thing will soften calluses and remove warts, so I would be careful about overdoing it.
    EFAs, often found in flaxseed and evening primrose oils, will also moderate female hormones and help control "calendrical" breakouts.