Babyshower gift idea...

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by HippyFreek, Jul 1, 2006.

1. HippyFreek

HippyFreek Vintage Member

So a friend of ours is expecting..YAY! Moire might have a friend her own age. :D

But anyway, this friend is a gardening fiend and I wanted to get her something that might come in handy. I was thinking maybe a Moses Basket. I found one that is in great condition at a consignment store, in green gingham because she doesn't know the sex yet.

But I was thinking, because that is just so empty looking (in my head) that I would fill it with all of the things she might need in the first weeks that no one will think to get her...so she doesnt have to run out to get them or make her hubby do it...And if you offer ideas, keep in mind that baby could come anywhere between late November and Christmas time.

So, so far on my list:

Lansinoh
    The breastfeeding Book (I own it, but don't need it)
    Cloth Diapers
    Snappis (they are a god-send!)
    some wraps
    A couple of the recipes you guys provided for baby wipe solution and how to launder diapers properly.
    Maybe collect some ideas for diaper rash treatment that isn't storebought creams (she's very earth friendly)
    Receiving blankets
    A SwaddleMe
    Some onesies and sleepers

Are there some other things that you guys remember wishing you'd had available in the first few weeks that you needed to buy or didn't know about until later?

I'm thinking of just arranging all of these thing in the basket for her shower...

oh yeah, does anybody remember that baby wipe solution recipe?

2. smiling_mama

smiling_mama Member

3. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

honestly, you list sounds wonderful! Any new mom would love a gift like that!!!
    Leane kinda 'pops' outta her onesies, too...but I still like them.
    I second the cloth wipes/washclothes....along with recieving blankets, those should be sold in bulk. I have hundreds and usually use them all before I'm ready to do a load of laundry. I like them cuz you can use them for a lot of the same things as recieving blankets, but they're smaller, so less laundry.
    ummmm....trying to think here......
    I love my sling, but yeah, different moms like different things..I have 2 as it is, but maybe if you can work a sewing machine, or even by hand, sew together some ringless slings which can be used for a variety of different wraps
    http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175616
    that's the thread tamee started a couple days ago, there's some awsome links.
    can't think of anything else right now, but I'll post again if I do.

It's great that you're going to have someone else around with a babe...my friend just had a baby 7 weeks ago, and yesterday we went to the store for 3 1/2 hours just to look at stuff and get outta the house with our babes in tow. It was fun, lol. It's nice to have a "real" mama to talk to, seeing as how all the other mamas on here are about the only ones that I talk to....everyone else i know is going out to the bar every night.

4. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

Because this recently happened to me....

make sure she isn't allergic to wool before giving her the Lansinoh! It does NASTY things to people with that allergy!

What about a nice blanket? I mean, seeing as it's going to be winter-y outside. There are some really easy ones to sew, meaning, even I with my limited sewing abilities can make it!

5. HippyFreek

HippyFreek Vintage Member

well, she's got slings already. I'm actually borrowing her NoJo.

And with Moire, I don't have time to sew. :(

6. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

hummm, well that kinda sucks:p
    you could buy some stuff a little ahead of schedual, like teething rings...actually, there was that mesh thingy that you put the fruit adn veggies in that you recomended to me a few months ago...I found them at Zellers for $5!!!

7. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

I'd also include a nice tea or somethng good tasting for momy and daddy.

8. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Oh, make her a goody basket of all the things she loves to eat but can't while pregnant! Soft cheeses come to mind...maybe a good beer or bottle of wine, some good coffee, etc.

9. stephaniesomewhere

stephaniesomewhere Member

you could put some bulbs in the basket as well because by the time they are planted and come up the little one will be just the right age to appreciate the "fairy" flowers.

:)