Babylon or Jah?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Ged, Jan 19, 2018.

1. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

And you can stand on the arms of the Williamsburg bridge crying hey man this is Babylon.

morrow likes this.
  2. David0301

David0301 Members

wao im impressed, a pitty I dont live in london, else i would have joined that permaculture meet-up group.
    You said "a few veggies" , im thinking of cucumber, pepper and tomatoes?

3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Jah as in Ja Rule

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Since my post got deleted I am just going to take the time to reiterate in a less snarky manner that buying cheap clothing is part of the problem, not the solution to the problem.

I would be a hypocrite if I said I always buy local or at thrift stores so I wont make that claim

But it is good to at least make the effort and to be aware of the real human costs of the consumer goods one is consuming .

5. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Not everyone can afford to do that though. My brother actually went on a 'buy American' spree a couple of years ago. He was looking for a certain kind of shirt (forget what kind) and found one made in the US...for over $100. A comparable shirt at Walmart, made God knows where, cost $20. It's a conundrum that I don't have a solution for.

6. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

David0301 and Meliai like this.
  7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Oh I know. I know I cant afford it. I bought my clothes (except underwear, socks, and shoes) exclusively from thrift stores for a long time, I just started buying new clothes again in the last year, because..I dunno why really, I guess I dont care as much as I used to or didnt think I was really making a difference by buying thrifted clothes anymore

I still do a little research into the companies I buy from, some are more ethical than others even though they produce overseas. Some visit their factories to make sure the factories are following local labor laws and creating humane conditions for their employees, and some don't

So I do think even though it is nearly impossible to commit 100% to ethical consumerism, trying to at least maintain a little awareness can go a long way

morrow and ZenKarma like this.
  8. David0301

David0301 Members

i know etsy . love it . they got some great handmade sandals from india, for women, beautifully designed, you might want to take a look. Nobody in your area will have them. They will ask you "where did you get that" ;-)

9. David0301

David0301 Members

10. David0301

David0301 Members

There is no doubt that buying ethical would be the best way to go. But for now, the dream of "fair price" will just remain a dream.

Lets take a closer look:

In my previous post I was more concerned about WHERE your money goes to , in other words: WHO are you supporting. Thats is why I buy my food from local farmers here and not from carrefour.
    But, when examining further: for example: i buy organic bananas from that lady at 1,50 euros per kilo. Oranges at 2euros/kilo. Is that fair/ethical? It surely is not. But she has no other choice because otherwise people would not buy it. How many people would voluntarily pay her 5 euros per kilo? You see what I am saying now? The wage/hour in Spain is one of the worst in europe. And in tenerife it is the worst of all Spain. People here get paid 5eur/hour. Now, am I unethical/unfair because I buy my organic fruit from that lady at 1,99eur/hour? should I rather go and buy it from carrefour?

Me, as a business man myself, know that in this system, you can not make a living by paying "fair prices" .
    In fact , no industry, no company and no private household could survive if we all payed "fair prices" . That is in this system.
    I have a business with employees. I wish I could pay them more money. For sure. But how can I then survive and pay all my taxes? I dont think the money I pay them is fair. My employees live in worse conditions than I . It hurts me and I wish I could do better but I can not. That is because of the shit-stem. outcome-income=profit. And profit is what pays your bills.
    You cant avoid it. The system needs to be changed. I agree. But as long as we are alive this "change" will not happen. So, what we can do for now, is make the best out of the current situation.

If people want to buy everything "ethical" or "fair trade" then:
    - a bar of chocolate would cost 5 euros
    - raw materials like cotton, coffee, silk, all gemstones, would cost 10 times more.
    - the carpets which you buy are all made by little children. They would cost 10 times more.
    - In fact: you must not even buy laptops,computers,mobile phones because they are ALL produced under miserable conditions in china. I know where the factory is in China . The factory is called "foxconn" . And foxconn also produces for Apple. Just google "foxconn" and see how employees there are treated. You will cry. 10 persons living in 1 room. 1 dollar/day. The suicide rate at that factory is so high that foxconn has installed nets all over the building so that people wont be able to jump anymore. I hope my message is understood now that it is IMPOSSIBLE to buy at "fair prices" as long as we are alive.

The message:
    1. in this current system it is impossible to make "fair prices"
    2.You should be more concerned about WHO you are supporting rather than HOW the merchandise is being produced. That is why I did not even mention the "how" because nobody in these days, in this system, would be able to follow suit.
    (If the "how" is your concern then go buy weapons made in the USA because they are made in the USA. At fair prices ;))

In this post, I really sacrificed myself and came down to a real low level as if talking to a baby, sorry, but it seems like there are some babies here still sucking on their dummies and believing in santa claus.

... 2300kcal

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  11. David0301

David0301 Members

... 2kcal

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  12. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

neither

David0301 likes this.
  13. David0301

David0301 Members

" I and I gone beat down babylon , yey yey , oh oh , oo oooo ..."

14. David0301

David0301 Members

it is falling im tellin ya....

15. David0301

David0301 Members

HE is singing about going back to "zion" from the bondage of babylon

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  16. David0301

David0301 Members

17. David0301

David0301 Members

...." yey yey yey babyloon you will fall doobi doobi dooo uh uh h babylon you doom doomm doomm dooommm shubi shubi ...." :blush:

18. David0301

David0301 Members

allright thats it im gonna buy his album now....

19. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Are you Rastafarian?

David0301 likes this.
  20. David0301

David0301 Members

no aerianne iam not, i just love music , and + if it comes with a positive message then i even love it more, all day and night :grinning:

Aerianne likes this.