Babylon Damaged by the US

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by bokonon, Jan 14, 2005.

1. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1391042,00.html

Just heard about this on BBC news this morning, The Guardian carry the story on the front page today. Despite archeologists pointing out the site was sacred and wouldn't exactly be all that stable, American and Polish forces still decided the ancient city of Babylon was the best place for one of their military camps.

And they haven't been the best of guests it seems, from using the dirt there to fill their sandbags to actually destroying and trying to steal artifacts!

Just who the fuck do they think they are! You know what I mean though, you just don't steal from wonders of the world! Certainly don't set up military bases within them.

2. Jaz Delorean

Jaz Delorean Senior Member

:( thats so sad... part of me is surprised, but part of me isn't at all...

3. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

God Bless America. :rolleyes:

4. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

that is pretty appauling i must say....but not supprising

5. Claire

Claire Senior Member

That's so sad:(

6. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

It's not that surprising when you consider the Christian resurgence in America. Not that I'm accusing them of having a fucking clue what Babylon is. "No damn sci-fi show is gonna stand in the way of God's will. Now eat lead, towel-head! Hey, that rhymed... Fuck yeah!"

7. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

At first I thought "but America is Babylon"... haha :p

Well what do you expect? America only does what is good for America in the present. If it cared about history at all, we wouldn't've bombed the shit out of Baghdad..

On behalf of my country, sorry :(

8. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

you shouldnt have to appologies for your country though, i mean, like that sorry ass we're sorry bush got in cos we didnt vote for him site really narked me off!

annnyway

yes

madness aye

9. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/9FBE8635-BF53-4567-AEE7-69DCEDACF9A5.htm

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/0/6403DDC31D93E21885256D9E00467274?opendocument

I do agree that such places should be looked after , but it can't be used as just another reason to attack american oh and poland ?.If you look at the whole thing objectively then its not quite as thuggish as is being made out imho.

You will get idiots trophy hunting .. but thats probably a tiny percentage..if caught i don't think they would get a slap on the back and a 'well done'..They would be arrested , quite rightly.

It is not one sided and the arguement could be 'well if thay were not there ?' yeah you can say that .. but its just ANOTHER anti war arguement .. wich is slightly unfair imho.

from what i have read in this thread..i don't think i am being unreasonable in what i say ?.

10. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

"If a man put out the eye of another man, his eye shall be put out."

mmmmm very peaceful ?

11. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

As a first-year student archeology, I think this is really a loss and a very unnecessary one too. Disturbing a site makes all found archaeological traces less reliable at best, since you don't know anymore where the artifacts were situated originally, both in time and in space. Artifacts are to be studies primarily at the exact space they were found so it can be dated, and so it may reveal information about how it was made, what it was used for, etcetera. So much information lost. Really awful to hear.

12. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

But you like burning churches ??? hahahaha .. i am sure you would not. But it just made me laugh reading what you say and then looking/reading your sig ?.

13. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

Lol no, I wouldn't burn churches if I got payed for it. Gothic and Baroque churches are beautiful. Besides, it would be kind of mean to the people that visited it regularly.

14. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

hahaha... thats a great picture, not hypocritical in any way.. :rolleyes: :p

15. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

I think he should replace it , with a nice picture of babylonian ruins or something like that ??

this one looks nice image :rolleyes:

16. Silver Salamander

Silver Salamander Member

:H Do we know the WHOLE story? Answer:no. You are quoting from one of many currently fashionable anti-american, left wing rags. The truth is almost certainly somewhere in the middle.....as always.

Second, there appears to be a very unpleasant tendency to post any anti-american anything on this forum. People have small memories. America gave us jazz, blues, rock 'n' roll, and ........Woodstock. The Taliban would take that all away from you tomorrow if they could run YOUR country, you clowns! The Taliban blew up some of the oldest Buddhist statues in the world in Afghanistan. Now THAT was ugly vandalism and religeous lunacy.

The american troops are filling up sandbags at Babylon, eh? Wow. Get a life?

17. showmet

showmet olen tomppeli

Quite apart from this being a facile misrepresentation of the Guardian, the article in question quotes extensively from a British Museum report and the head of the all-party parliamentary archaeological group. This is not anti-Americanism, it is a report into the unnecessary destruction of a site of global cultural importance.

What imbecilic dribble. Criticism of a specific policy carried out by the American military necessarily entails critcism of the totality American culture then does it? Secondly, it might be news to you but the Taliban and Islamic fundamentalism have nothing to do with the recent history of Iraq. Clearly the Taliban's destruction of ancient monuments in Afghanistan was insupportable vandalism. That does not stop this, too, being an act of gross negligence and cultural vandalism.

The level of ignorance encountered on this forum is frequently chilling.

*currently taking bets on this being TreeHouse*:p

18. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

I just wanted to say I didn't intend the post to be anti-American...Obviously it's gonna come across that way when I say things like, 'who the fuck do they think they are' - But that came more from upset about the whole war on terror than solely the Babylon damage.

It's just one thing after another you know?

And as Showmet rightly pointed out, the story itself isn't anti-American, it's not even anti-Bush - It's a museum report covering destruction to a sacred sight of world history.

So aye, have to cut short here...I just wanted to bring the story to the forums for discussion, not just another reason to slate Bush.

19. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

I'm a bit alarmed by your anti-Afghani attitude there, Showmet!

20. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

No i don't think it is anti american either ... The site was badly damaged by the people you may have thought would have wanted to look after it ?.. Plus the Americans spents tens of thousands of dollars protecting it.. and their mere presence stopped it from being further damaged and/or looted .. It is revered more highly by those that are accused of damaging the place , than those you may have hoped would care ?.

The people accusing The Americans and Polish of damaging the place, would have said such a statement whatever , i personaly think they think they are the only group of people that should be looking after the place ?. Because possibly their noses were pushed out for sometime they feel like a bit of a sulk ?.

Why did they possibly not believe this statement / or take it on board ?.

Far more damage would have occured if they had not been their ?.

As the image i posted earlier was trying to point out.. far from being pig ignorant about the place The American goverment tried its best and had people their to supervise the place ..

The sentiments and the reaction in this thread is far more Anti American ? The fever to accuse seems not so apparent for the Polish ? .. Well we don't talk about anybody else (as intently) as the Americans . It is more erm 'fun' throwing anti imperialist/neo conservative/pig ignorant/stupid etc etc at the Americans i suppose.

Were it too add the positives i would believe you ?. 'Destruction' hahaha calm down that is way OTT..