Baby Names

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by MamasRosebud, Jan 27, 2005.

1. MamasRosebud

MamasRosebud Member

I was wondering if anyone else has ever faced criticism regarding your choice of child names? My family is okay with our choices, but my husbands family is uber conservative and are balking our choices. My mother-in-law is refusing to call our children by their real names! BTW, their names are Paisley Skye, River Ryan, Daisy Jewel, and Laguna Blue. Any advice?

2. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Well I think all those names are beautiful, and not overly crazy (my eldest son will probably be called River) :)
    Just ignore them, it's your child so call it whatever you (and eventually they) wish.

Don't mention anything to do with names until the baby is born then just introduce them. It's too late in the game for them to complain. Eventually the name will grow on them, or at least they'll get over it.

I sometimes mention potential names (being obsessed with the subject) but don't really mind what my folks think. Never been a fan of their style eithier. They had a bit of trouble with Branwen's name, being so diffrent or whatever. Had to explain it countless times (honestly is it really that hard to say/spell?). It's worth it though, because it so suits her so perfectly, and I still love it

3. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

Advice: Refuse to call her by her real name... hehe No...I know that wont be very good advice.

4. MamasRosebud

MamasRosebud Member

Yeah, I call her plenty of things that aren't her real name...none I would say to her face though): So the concensus is to just ignore her. Oh, well...been doin' that for goin' on 6 years.I guess some more won't hurt! Thanks.

5. RyvreWillow

RyvreWillow Member

Hehe, good idea Applespark! I'd love to make up a new name for my MIL ;) hehehe

We got plenty of trouble when we decided to name our son Ryvre Raine; it seemed that everyone either loved it (mostly my classmates) or hated it (just about every "adult" i knew, lol), to the point that i got tired of defending our position (even if most people were well-meaning, or trying to be funny) and stopped telling people what we were going to name him ("is it still 'Ryvre' then" "i dunno, guess you'll find out soon enough"). My MIL also said she wouldn't call her grandson "that" name; instead, she said (only half joking) that in her house, he would be known as Ray. Of course, she never actually called him that; in fact, for his first birthday she spent a not-so-modest amount of money for a hand-made, personalized toybox with his name on it, lol, so i guess she accepted it.

No one gave us any trouble about naming our daughter Willow Sage, except the occasional "what's this kid going to be, Rainbow Moonbeam or something like that?" to which i'd reply "Oh! That is a very nice name, but it doesn't quite fit her; i think we're going to go with Willow" That person would generally try to appoligize, saying they were just joking, but i made it pretty clear that it was something i did not take lightly, and i wouldn't join in the joking around of other names i hadn't chosen either.

So maybe i took things a little too seriously, but it really doesn't matter what people say--most of them don't have the guts to keep it up after the baby is born anyway, and the ones that do apparently have nothing else to talk about. Maybe you could ask your MIL if she has anything better to try and taunt you about (haha, maybe that's just causing more trouble, but say it with a smile on your face, and you should at least irritate her some :p )

6. clockworkorangeagain

clockworkorangeagain femme fatale

my bestfriend just named her first daughter danielle..which i hate, but she will always be called ellie - which i think is sweet!

7. feministhippy

feministhippy Member

Well, as I've mentioned many times, I am not parent yet, but I do look forward to having children someday. I refuse to tell my family what names I'm considering anymore. I tend to pick classic names, as opposed to some of the nature based names. The nature based names are often beautiful (I'm especially partial to the name River), but just not my thing. If it were completely up to me, I'd give my child one Hebrew name and one Irish or Celtic name. I have prodominantly Irish background, and I also happen to be Jewish. That's not rare, but it's not terribly common, either, and it's something I'm quite proud of. Now, I'm aware that baby naming is something between both parents, but this is totally hypothetical anyway.

I once told either my grandma or my mom that when I had kids, I wanted to name my one of my daughters Jessica Sheelah. Jessica is a Hebrew name that shares to meanings: 1- Blessed, and 2- Rich. It also happens to be my name. Sheelah is an Irish name, I think it means blind. Mostly, it's just a pretty Irish name that I happen to like a lot. Whoever I told actually told me "No, you can't name her that". I couldn't believe it. Not only was I given a demand on a part of my life that they have absolutly no right to try to control, but it was a part of my life that hasn't even happened yet! I have no baby, I'm not pregnant, and I wont get pregnant any time soon unless, of course, I'm giving birth to the next Messiah. Or one of the kids from Village of the Damned.

So why did she give me crap? Well, they didn't like the idea of my naming my child after me, first off. I was dumb, of course, and thought they meant because it would be confusing. I mentioned that my oldest brother is named James, after my dad, and we call call him by his middle name, Adam. Then she said no, I couldn't do that because naming a child after you is something for the fathers, not the mothers. Which not only is incredably sexist, but incredably false. My best friend is named after her mother. It's not as common, no, but when has anyone ever known me to avoid doing something for that reason?

Then she said I spelled "Sheelah" wrong, it's supposed to be spelled "Sheila". That's not exactly true, either. That's like saying my brother Erich's name is spelt wrong because there's an 'h' in it. Erich can be spelled numerous ways: Eric, Erick, Erik, Erich. Sheelah is like that. Sheelah can be spelt Sheelah, Sheela, Sheila, or Sheilah, and I'm sure there's more spellings. I happen to like spelling it Sheelah because it's most likely closer to the original spelling of the name, and it just looks nice. It's different than most people in this country spell it. Appearantly, different is bad.

I'm not going to worry about it when I actually do have kids, though, because I'm sure I'll get crap from someone no matter what I name them

8. Penny Lane

Penny Lane Member

Oh your names are great and don't listen to anyone else, as it's you that's got to call your child that name for the rest of his/her life. My husband and I are currently 15 weeks and 6 days pregnant and the majority of names we like everyone else turns their nose up at! I say "sod em", I mean who are they to judge anyway!!!

Take care, Love and Peace x

9. PianoB12388

PianoB12388 Member

My favorite name for a little girl is Willow Grace and for a boy Zeppelin Rocker.

:D

10. DiffKettleOfFish

DiffKettleOfFish Kickin' it

Zeppelin Rocker?? Dude, that's awesome, hehe :)

11. Gr8fulyDeadicated

Gr8fulyDeadicated Member

hahahahaa!! sorry, gotta laugh - my older boys are harley & levi and yeah, i caught a lot of flak on occasion. but my boys fit their names, it makes them unique and they like their names.

but now, i have given everyone so much more to criticize me about, the names are old news... lol!!!

relatives - can't live with 'em, can't fit 'em in the garbage disposal.....

12. radmama

radmama Member

My son's name is Javen Rain, and I have one growing in the belly that will be named Zeppy Rain. My family and other folks have criticized the name, which is fine. I can hardly wait to meet zeppy

13. YES I CANNABIS

YES I CANNABIS Member

i've always liked the name Luca for a little boy