Avast ye, Flautists of hipforums!

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by Living Corpse, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Living Corpse

Living Corpse Member

I am terribly fascinated with the flute. I would like to one day master it and play sublime music, perhaps in the folk flavor, wherever i go.

I have managed to make a simple yet crude flute out of some bamboo, and i have successfully managed to make a sound, and play a few notes. However at some point, i would like to purchase a fair quality of flute.

My problem lies in what type i should get.

I have thought about a irish flute, but i also am attracted to the side-blown metal type of flute.

Which type would be best for me to play?

thanks

2. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

I don't know much about woodwind's, But I'm guessing the Transverse flute (side-blown) is a much more flexible instrument for contemporary music. It Is a "Heavy Metal instrument"! hehehe...
    Think Jethro Tull. (Ian Anderson) He's not the most accomplished flautist in the world, but I just love "Blues flute"!

:cool:

ZW

3. Bon Scott.. original lead singer of ac/dc played flute

4. Quoth the Raven

Quoth the Raven RaveIan

IIRC, an Irish flute *is* a transverse flute, as are most kinds except the native American flute (open to debate as to whether it's a flute or a whistle, but that's another topic). You may have it confused with the penny whistle ;)

I say get an Irish flute for your first one, concert flutes (all metal) tend to be expensive, they can run into the hundreds or thousands of dollars. Me, I have 2 concert flutes, 2 natiuve american flutes, an irish flute and a penny whistle :D

5. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

I did, thanks for the correction.:eek:

ZW

6. enk

enk Member

Definitely develop your flute crafting. This is a fantastic skill =)

Most of the best sounding flutes in the world are essentially pieces of bamboo with 6 or 7 holes. I like the Chinese Dizi and the Indian bansuri, both are made from bamboo and are capable of creating music-gasms.

I play the concert flute, I have owned/played 3 so far. In my opinion it is best to go for a second hand student flute that is in good condition that is nice and responsive.
    Dried out pads can be repaired temporarily with cigarrete papers.

Intermediate or proffessional flutes are a joy to play, but wont necesarrily give you more 'musicality'. They are made with softer metals giving a more maluable tone, and generally have a low B, as student flutes generally only go down to low C.

Creativity will overshadow materialism. All you need is a practical instrument that is in working order. You may need to learn certain compensations of a particular instrument, High notes will require different embechoure etc.

I dont think Irish flutes are particularly expensive, although they can be, some have a 3-year waiting period too! They have a different mechanism to the 'concert' flute, therefore they have different fingerings.

I would go for a cheap second hand flute in good condition first than pick up an Irish flute next paycheck =P Ordinary flutes can be played like irish flutes, the tone isnt as rich as the irish flute but the trills and gestures can be mimicked. The technique you learn on a concert flute will transfer easily onto other flutes, going the other way around might be more difficult.

IMO you dont need to choose one, you could buy them all! They are a relatively inexpenisve instrument.