Autoflowering? Stupid question.

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding and Seed Strains' started by F Z, Oct 17, 2008.

1. F Z

F Z Member

What exactly are autoflowering strains?

Strains that will go into flowering without 12/12?

Do they just stop veg and start flowering automaticly?

2. stalk

stalk Banned

I'm pretty sure you keep them on 12/12 the whole time.

Very interesting species.

3. lune

lune Senior Member

You are correct, autoflowering strains will begin flowering without 12 hrs of darkness... for example, if you put some outside in the spring, they will be done in the summer, as opposed to the fall...

4. ninfan77

ninfan77 Member

no.. dont keep them on 12/12.. AF strains need as much light as you can give them. 18/6 or 20/4 will work great. 12/12 is a waste.

They will go from seed to finish in about 8 weeks.

5. F Z

F Z Member

Sounds like the finished product will be 2nd rate.

6. liquidlight

liquidlight Senior Member

A friend of mine has been testing autoflowering hybrids for a couple of breeders for about 5 or 6 years now. He experimented with different light cycles and found that overall, most strains responded best to 18/6 from start to finish, and for optimum yields to use a 6 - 10 litre pot from the very start so as not to restrict root growth at all.

FZ ... i've smoked a few auto hybrids now and some of them are top notch in both potency and taste.

7. drew5147

drew5147 Dingledodie

Auto-flowering strains generally have genes from Cannabis Ruderalis, a Cannabis plant native to Russia.

Thats about all I know about them

8. klondike_bar

klondike_bar Senior Member

most autoflowers, if not all, are lowryders and thier crosses.

usually small yielding, but with a decent product anyways

9. Delta2012

Delta2012 Member

Juxtapose that a tad bruv, 'tis that all Ryders and crosses are autoflowering and do so because a lot of work has been done with selected specimens of old Soviet era ditchweed, Ruderalis, to create the LowRyder range, (I'd surmise they were from plants grown secretly by the subjugated towns and city peoples of the USSR and likely a tad more potent than the actual wild Hemp plants of the Ruderalis sub genus growing in ditches across the old USSR because of an amount of selection, Russia has good farmers and gardeners as well.).

But Ruderalis has been used for a few main strains, still available with a bit of searching.

Also.

If ye do some digging, you'll find some bright sparks, *not*, from a well known Dutch seed breeder/retailer, beginning with 'S', decided it'd be a good idea to introduce Ruder genetcs into a variety of strains, back in around 2001.

Bad frickin idea as it dulled potency and people complained, they withdrew the strains but as i've read posts of many forums some back as far as 1999, i've seen many people ID Ruderalis traits in some main strains.

The thing is, once the Ruderalis nucleotides are entered into a strains sequencing, the genetics are fused forever and contained in every seed from any parent with Ruderalis coding, they will not be bred out in subsequent generations, merely recessed through crossing and selecting out.

I think some work was done with Ruderal crosses from 'S' in Holland back 2001+ and when it was found they were less than was desired, the Ruder crosses were not binned but a spate of novelty strains released with no mention of the Ruder content but saying they were acclimated to Northern latitudes etc.

The Ruderalis factor obfuscated & forgotten about, present but recessed through crossing, was then further used to breed hybrids sold as indoor/greenhouse and outdoor and with a claim to tolerate higher Northern/Southern latitudes et cetera where temps take a dive, so every now and then people will get Ruderal F2 expression whether purchased from a dodgy source or making ones own stock, or even in the cubed hybrids, stability will give way to the odd Ruderal expression, once it's there, it's there.

Usually a Ruderal trait is the obvious autoflowering expression but they will also tolerate lower growing temps as well, outside, dark periods in attics/gargages etc (18/06 is said to be best photocycle for even Ruderalis builds phytochromes in flowering processes, though less important, and even with 24/00 though, it gets colder at night in attics/basements/garages/outbuildings, which presents problems or some.), so they can be handy for other reasons as much as the stealth aspect of Ruderalis growing a good %50 lower than low growing Indicas etc.

In my most humble opinion, there are more strains out there with Ruderalis genes than you'd realise, not that it matters as potency is bred back in.
    [To be clear, Ryder strains are from plants selected for potency and height et cetera and creators went to some effort, wheras the older *non* efforts in 2001, in Holland, were mixed with potent common hybrids and IBL's purely for autoflowering and they suffered, it was felt they, quite literally, used "ditchweed" Ruderalis, not the Ruderalis cultivated by rural Russians which gave rise to Ryders+. Can't knock 'em at all, just so that's clear.]

Just keeping mothers can be a fucker! What?! Indeed!

:)

BTW.
    I grew out some LowSnow, the precurser to SnowRyder when that was still being stabilised.

Nice plant, 7-8 weeks full cb range, decent potency of THC's at 6 weeks to the loss of a few grammes.

Some Ryder hybrids are quite decent!

10. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member

Why is everyone a cynic these days? Not knocking anyone in particular, but it seems there was a lot of negative spectulation about the lowryders without alot of first hand experience.

Smoking experience can be quite good on some of the lowryder crosses, but LR2 was found to be lacking in taste department. Potency was average good quality nugs. It seems 1/4 per plant seems to be a good estimate on yield in the real world. Some will be much heavier and some pretty light.

The big pluses of the AF genes are the fast turn around and stupid simple cultivation.
    The big downsides are the low yields and inability to clone. Unless the grower does a seed grow, the cost of new beans gets high in comparison to yield.

BOTTOMLINE: These are a great option for people who kill houseplants. They are good for people with limited space. They are a good option for short season outdoor growers. They will not replace tradition 12/12 plants due to the lack of yield and inability to clone.

11. F Z

F Z Member

OK...last question....Can anyone tell me where I can get these seeds? I've checked all the places I know & can't find them. Is there anyone safe and dependable that sells em?

12. PAX-MAN

PAX-MAN Just A Old Hippy

http://www.drgreenthumb.com/cannabis_seeds_GreenthumbSeedsEntrance.htm

Sweet 105- The Ultimate Stealth Plant.
    Product Code STR10, STR25(Bulk), STR50(Bulk)

Sweet 105, the Ultimate
    “STEALTH” plant.
    Developed to eliminate the
    worry of thieves in the Fall.
    Finally, after years of
    development, an autoflower plant
    potent enough and with enough
    yield to make our strain list.
    A radical new plant that
    grows tasty resinous buds from
    start to finish in 100 to 105 days.
    Best flowered outdoors.

Potency: 3¾ out of 5
    Bouquet: Pine
    Taste: Hashy

Indoor Growth
    Outdoor Growth

Finished height
    Not Applicable
    Plant height
    2' to 4'

Yield (g/m²)
    SOG
    Not Applicable
    Yield
    1 to 3 ounces

Flowering
    105 Days
    Finish
    105 Days
    BEST FLOWERED
    OUTDOORS!!!
    Frost Resistance -
    Spring

here is one you may like to try

PAX

13. F Z

F Z Member

What strains are autoflowering?

14. StrontiumDog

StrontiumDog Guest

[Edit: Hey PAXMAN, did try to post yesterday, before ye'd answered, but couldn't log in as Delta2012 bruv.]

Hi.

Here's a search on Yahoo for Low Ryder.
    http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A1f4cfUQxcBJSx4AWXpKBQx.?p=low+ryder&fr=sfp&fr2=&iscqry=

Other terms such as "autoflowering strain" "autoflowering seeds" and such will yield similar results with some other potentials.

Plenty of seed retailers, if not all, have at least LowRyders but few actually stock Ruderal strains because they themselves, without hybridising are not very good, always buy a hybrid not a generic Ruderalis, imho.

You will have to look for a seed site which ships to the USA, President Obama may change or relax some rules as time goes on, but for now too many seed orders sent into USA borders go missing/seized so many companies don't ship to the states presently, i know the main guy in dope-seeds.com and he doesn't ship to USA because very few orders get to the customers these days.

If you can take a trip across your borders into Canada, seeds are very small and easy to bring back with you, plenty of sources in Canada to buy your seeds and bring them back safely and allow you to be completely discreet in your hobby.

BTW, i'm Delta2012 who answered earlier, darned lost password system didn't work, no reset email yet, so i re-registered.

Will now PM admin to get my original username back.

15. klondike_bar

klondike_bar Senior Member

last summer, i crossed a sacra fresca (pure sativa) female with an "unknown" (claimed to be white rhino, i suspect lowryder tho) autoflowering male.

out of 25 seeds that ive grown so far, only one has finally begun to autoflower under a 20hr light cycle.

i kept some of the male pollen last summer in an airtight container. will it still be healthy/viable to breed with? Id love to keep this autoflowering phenotype

16. SatanHam

SatanHam Member

anyone know about any drarfs strains that can be cloned?

17. greencandyman

greencandyman Member

Tanzanian Magic, bro. It is an autoflowering sativa and has very good potency. You can line breed it and kep it pure. Tastes like coal tar and black licorice, or anise. A landrace from Tanzania, Africa, and get it from African seeds.

18. LSDMIKE

LSDMIKE Member

I would like to see this plant at 8 weeks? I don't think it can be done in that time to me for now it's all Bs

19. ScottDK420

ScottDK420 Banned

no most autoflowering strains are potent and first rate quality altho the yield in weight is much lower than a longer normal legnth strain...

20. ScottDK420

ScottDK420 Banned

it true i don't know what plant you are talking about with 8 weeks but most autofloering strains from start to finish take about 100 to 110 days so thats a bit over 3 months and a few weeks,,,8 weeks i dunno about any plant that is done in 8 weeks unless it is a clone ...