Attitudes towards politics

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by hemp-stir, Apr 8, 2012.

1. hemp-stir

hemp-stir Guest

What are your current attitudes towards politics? Are you interested in it? Why or why not? Do you vote? What would make you take more of an interest?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Get rid of all the IDIOTS that are in politics now... Which, by the way, is most of them.

3. hemp-stir

hemp-stir Guest

haha i know man. I should probably mention this survey is for school so i greatly appreciate responses.

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

meh. it's pretty much all fake, and yet it's a lot less entertaining than the other scripted entertainment shows i watch on tv.

5. 56olddog

56olddog Member

The result of taking no interest in politics is government by one's inferiors.

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

much like how the result of taking an interest in politics is government by one's inferiors.

7. Raga_Mala

Raga_Mala Psychedelic Monk

By "politics" do you mean the American Election System? They are not necessarily the same thing. I care very deeply about politics to the extent that I have deeply-held opinions on the actions of govenment(s) and views on how my country should be run.

Someone with that sincere interest, however, does not necessarily follow or even vote in elections, because they feel that what is determined by those elections has no particular bearing on the way the country is run. On foreign policy, there has never been a major change of strategy since WWI, and on domestic policy there has never been a major change of strategy since the Great Depression. The same folks ACTUALLY run the country (bureaucrats and corporations), regardless of what figures we elect to positions of power.

8. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

I don't mess with politics to much bullshit that goes along with it

9. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

this is true. i was mostly referring to the american election system in my previous posts.

i'll let someone else get some posts in now...

10. 56olddog

56olddog Member

Perhaps one should take more of an interest... get more involved.

Many answers / comments appear to be specific, or at least aimed, toward politics at the national level. Shouldn't we express as much or more interest in politics at the local level since an individual's position, stance, activism, or vote is likely to have more influence there?

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

^^^ This ^^^

12. hemp-stir

hemp-stir Guest

Well I'm from Canada but am also interested in peoples responses from any country. In Canada we have a ridiculous ratio of young people to old people voting, if more young people started voting, we likely wouldn't have a conservative government fucking over our country.(having two liberal party's-one conservative party doesn't help obviously) I'm curious as to what would get people to take action in politics? Is it necessary to do like Australia and track non-voters down?

13. hemp-stir

hemp-stir Guest

Ever watch Bill Maher?

14. 56olddog

56olddog Member

The US election system was put into place as the result of several lines of thinking by the framers of the US Constitution. One of those being the preservation of the rights of the individual states -- it seems we as a nation have forgotten or abandoned the concept of such, believing that a more powerful centralized (federal) government is more capable of providing for the real needs than those more closely associated and aware of the problems and their causes and cures.

15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, local politics is better. although local politicians don't really have that much power, it is less staged and therefore you can actually have somewhat of a say in the little bit that they do have control over.

it's been years. like, not since he was on comedy central.

political humor can be funny as hell, but to get most of it you really have to keep up with what the general media is telling you about politics, which is almost always annoying nonsense.

16. hemp-stir

hemp-stir Guest

So did you vote? Or is it too much work to vote for your "inferiors". Some people need a reality check.

17. andrew45

andrew45 Member

politics . it is not what you think you see .

18. hemp-stir

hemp-stir Guest

elaborate

19. 56olddog

56olddog Member

Elaborate, please.

20. hemp-stir

hemp-stir Guest

This is why you need a reality check bro. How are they your inferiors? Now please elaborate on how politics isn't what I think it is? What do you propose would be a better option for ending Harper's reign of Hell other than, taking his government out of power?