At least we know it will not kill you...

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Startreken, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Startreken

Startreken Marijuana Chef!

So I was wasting time at work and was doing some searches. We often talk about how people can't die from smoking weed. I Found this interesting chart about death. www.DrugWarFacts.org.

Annual Causes of Death in the United States
    Tobacco 435,000
    Poor Diet and Physical Inactivity 365,000
    Alcohol 85,000
    Microbial Agents 75,000
    Toxic Agents 55,000
    Motor Vehicle Crashes 26,347
    Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs 32,000
    Suicide 30,622
    Incidents Involving Firearms 29,000
    Homicide 20,308
    Sexual Behaviors 20,000
    All Illicit Drug Use, Direct and Indirect 17,000
    Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Such As Aspirin 7,600
    Marijuana 0

I am sure that under All Illicit Drug Use, Direct and Indirect that there are some pople who got stoned and died in a car crash but it's still a big old fat goose egg for the weed overdose.

2. thisisme5

thisisme5 Herbal enthusiast

Damn right... No recorded cases in history in fact

3. Startreken

"Tetrahydrocannabinol is a very safe drug. Laboratory animals (rats, mice, dogs, monkeys) can tolerate doses of up to 1,000 mg/kg (milligrams per kilogram). This would be equivalent to a 70 kg person swallowing 70 grams of the drug—about 5,000 times more than is required to produce a high. Despite the widespread illicit use of cannabis there are very few if any instances of people dying from an overdose. In Britain, official government statistics listed five deaths from cannabis in the period 1993-1995 but on closer examination these proved to have been deaths due to inhalation of vomit that could not be directly attributed to cannabis (House of Lords Report, 1998). By comparison with other commonly used recreational drugs these statistics are impressive."

Source: Iversen, Leslie L., PhD, FRS, "The Science of Marijuana" (London, England: Oxford University Press, 2000), p. 178, citing House of Lords, Select Committee on Science and Technology, "Cannabis — The Scientific and Medical Evidence" (London, England: The Stationery Office, Parliament, 1998).

An exhaustive search of the literature finds no deaths induced by marijuana. The US Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) records instances of drug mentions in medical examiners' reports, and though marijuana is mentioned, it is usually in combination with alcohol or other drugs. Marijuana alone has not been shown to cause an overdose death.

Source: Source: Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN), available on the web at http://www.samhsa.gov/ ; also see Janet E. Joy, Stanley J. Watson, Jr., and John A. Benson, Jr., "Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base," Division of Neuroscience and Behavioral Research, Institute of Medicine (Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1999), available on the web at http://www.nap.edu/html/marimed/; and US Department of Justice, Drug Enforcement Administration, "In the Matter of Marijuana Rescheduling Petition" (Docket #86-22), September 6, 1988, p. 57.

4. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

me and a co-worker the other day at work were wondering how many people per year die from falling icicles..

5. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

this sounds awfully low for some reason..

6. Freedom_Man

Freedom_Man Senior Member

i am all for marijuana. thats the only substance i really honestly see no real problems coming from.

you get stoned you chill and think about stuff, enjoy music and movies and such. you smoke toom uch weed you get really stoned for a few h ours, or if wrose comes to worse you have panic attack.

people get a buzz on the alcohol and act loud and beligirent, you drink to much you die, or you act violent and hurt someone else or could kill them.

coke heroin alcohol all that stuff is BULLSHIT, to me.

smoke weed.

7. f(x)

f(x) Member

Smoking cannabis or anything for that matter does increase the chance of lung and other cancers. Don't think you can smoke every day for 20 years and be at less risk than someone who smoked cigs for the same time.

8. comfortablynumb90

comfortablynumb90 Member

idk but i heard on tv (i think it was manswers) that 3 ppl die each year from vending machines.....

what a shitty way to die

9. mustangman2424

mustangman2424 Member

Then vape. You don't have to smoke it. Or you can eat it.

10. thisisme5

thisisme5 Herbal enthusiast

Its proven one cig a day would do absolutely no damage to your lungs so even if you smoked a joint (approx same amount of tar as two cigs) you wouldnt be too bad off.. And if use a bong with water it will filter out alot of the tar from the smoke anyway... Besides only long term half pack or more a day smokers really get affected by cigs

11. Startreken

The jury is still out on this one. I have read information that it is different and not as bad and I have also read information that this is worse. Every once in a while I worry about it because my grandmother died of lung cancer but, I just love the weed. I have been moving more and more toward the need to get a vape.

12. marksup123

marksup123 I'm a girl!

this is something i'm surprised you of all people hasn't invested in yet! you definitely have the resources and you'll be saving a lot of $ in the long run. you should get a volcano with all the fixins.. that way i can be uber jealous :p

13. Startreken

Dispite the fact that I make very good money, I have expences. Keep in mind I have to pay my ex-wife 20% of my take home pay for child support and an additional $600.00 a month for the ex-wife in bitch support. I think of it as baby sitting money for my little girl. My ex-wife does not work and lives off of what I pay her and her social security money. She is on disability. She lives with her parents right now so does not have a lot of expences herself but the judge did not see it that way and still made me pay. My ex clears about $3,000.00 a month all told with very little expences other than her habbit of buying useless shit. Long story. Now, that being said, add on top of that a morgage, insurance so on and so on... So, I have expences.

Also, I just enjoy the smoke a little as well, I could do without the coughing but it's just more social. I made a vape once but it died and I did not want to make another. No, I am going to get one, just not for a bit.

14. f(x)

f(x) Member

Ya, there is definitely too much information out there. I recommend however reading only the information you find on pubmed. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ (although you'll need access to many of the articles).

How much did your grandmother smoke? Remember, there is a difference between a family history of cancer and a predisposition to cancer.

15. f(x)

f(x) Member

I don't know where you get this information from. You're probably right, one cigarette a day isn't terrible if that's all you do, but most people simply do not do this.

I read a paper a while ago that stated that one average joint (with an avg size zigzag paper) was roughly equivalent to 6 avg cigarettes in terms of tar. But you have to factor in that pot smokers inhale MUCH more deeply, hold it in longer and don't throw half a joint away half the time.

Bongs definitely are great and filter quite a bit of tars and particulates. I want to get a bubbler, great little mini bongs that are so effective (except for occasionally getting little bong water in your mouth).

16. f(x)

f(x) Member

Yup, couldn't agree more.

One thing I find confusing on websites is the lack of differentiation between the effects of smoking pot, and taking cannabis.

Cannabis itself has been shown to have all these great effects (some papers are showing anti cancer effects). But smoking negates most of these effects.

Smoking anything is just dreadful, your lungs are the most fragile of membranes, they rightly are much worse off when inondated with extremely hot, particulate laden smoke.

17. marksup123

marksup123 I'm a girl!

^ your username makes me hate you.

don't take it personally though :p

18. f(x)

f(x) Member

why, did you fail grade 10 math?