Ashrams in North India

Discussion in 'India' started by Rianna, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Rianna

Rianna Member

Good evening everyone !

Next week, I'm traveling to India for the first time and I haven't really prepared a lot....

....so I was wondering if anyone can give me some advise about ashrams? I'd love to stay in one to learn more about meditation & yoga but it seems so hard to find a good one. It would be so good to hear someone's personal experience.

And is there by any chance any of you lovely people traveling through North India as well this february...march...april? Or Nepal after that?

Hope to hear from you :)

peace & hugs from Amsterdam

2. sneakyharry

sneakyharry Member

hey Rianna,
    there are lot of ashrams in north india, depends on what kind you want to choose and practice what kind of yoga, to get into some of the monastaries, you may need special permit,
    try maha bodhi zendo center in kodai kanal to start off with,
    you can try bodhgaya in bihar, google root institute,
    if you need any more info email me at butlerbandit2002@yahoo.com
    iam based in india now and loving it.

3. GypsyAmy

GypsyAmy Guest

Hello Rianna!

For sure you will find a good ashram that suits you best, depends on your budget and what kind of yoga/meditation you are looking for. There are many ways to explore yoga and meditation, from what I' ve seen in North IndiaI would say:

-Rishikesh. You can stay in an ashram where you definitly have yoga and meditation. depends on the ashram, maybe you will have to eat there and won't be allowed to go out. The ashram I stayed allowed us to go out but we had to be back for 9 pm. Otherwise you can find a yoga class and stay in a guest house and just chill by the Ganges at night time...

-Bodghaya. A buddhist place where Buddha got enlighten under a tree. Very nice energy. Also it is quite close to Benares, a place you don't want to miss if you're interested in Indian culture.

-Dharamsala. You can do a 10 day meditation retreat with Tushita (branch of Root institute), set in such an incredible relaxing place in the mountain. Food is awesome:) you will not find ashram in Dharamsala but there are lots of yoga teacher.

-Everywhere in India, Vipassana (eveywhere on the planet also), intense 10 days meditation retreat. But make sure you're prepared before to do it, it is quite deep.

Wish you the best journey fullfilled with love, peace and beautiful vibration
    :sunny:

4. aalgoma

aalgoma Guest

5. music321

music321 Guest

Many of the better yoga centers are free. It might be worth while to rent a room, and attend classes at a nearby center by day. Granted, if you do this, you're not surrounded by people 24/7 who are on a quest to open their minds. Instead, you have to interact with those that are going to work, feeding their families, planning for retirement, etc. There will be less of an escape from "the world."

But maybe this will fit into your agenda just fine. After all, you won't be living at the ashram forever. You're trying to better yourself in the context of living "in the world." Do you think that you'll benefit your spirit more by living in an enclave with trust fund kids, or renting a room from a family that has been living as "real Indians" their whole lives?

6. kasi

kasi Member

Its good that you are going to India many superb places there like Island and Taj Mehal its famous for me because i also stay there in 2010 and i suggest to you must stay there and be aware of the pickpockets..