Artificial Intelligence, Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Artificial Intelligence (A.I.)' started by Mindgasm, May 15, 2010.

1. Mindgasm

Mindgasm Member

I'm studying software development and will go on to study artificial intelligence at university (maybe).

Is it possible to accomplish?, or is there something about our humanity (the spirit) which would be impossible to emulate? or are we simply biological machines that -can- be emulated by technology?.

2. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

No. I can't see how a computer can learn how to feel

to be happy, sad, angry, pensive.

I think AI is realistic when thinking of computers possibly thinking for themselves- but not anything more. It's all a process.

3. Wuji

Wuji Member

But it's a process for us too. If we repeat that process in a form that we ourselves have created, then I am certain we can achieve similar results.

4. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

It would be nice is someone could develop human intelligence first. ;)

5. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

Yes, it is a process for us. But then there's emotional intelligence. Computers do not have emotional intelligence, I will be amazed if they can replicate that part of the human mind.

6. DiscFour

DiscFour Member

One of the biggest problems in cognitive science is relevance realization. There is an infinite amount of potentially relevant information in the world, how does an artificial intelligence know what is or is not relevant when attempting to solve a problem it faces? Modern AI just looks at specific, pre-programmed variables and adjusts behaviour based on the state of those variables, but a true artificial intelligence is faced with an infinitude of variables it could investigate, and must determine which of those are helpful and which are not.

7. The Earth

The Earth Om Tare Tutare Ture Svaha

the human can be emulated by technology?
    The human cannot be replicated synthetically?

That is the question that has plagued mankind for centuries..

the very first attempts were crudely constructed forms made out of stones, grass, sticks, and mud..

but alas our forefathers would cry in passion, that, possibly we have discovered what can put the learning of a child on a computer chip...

Just maybe...