Artificial Intelligence closer than you think!

Discussion in 'Artificial Intelligence (A.I.)' started by AceK, Jun 17, 2014.

1. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/338/6111/1202.full

See link for full text.

Yes, scientists have been modeling neural networks in software. This article is quite interesting. Modeling the entire human brain including the limbic system which would give the model the ability to express emotions (feel them?) may not be too far off!

Absolutely amazing!

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

this is actually rather old "news". it is not the power of a neural network, though its requirement is a given, but the boot core of inquisitiveness, that facilitates the birth of anything resembling sentience.

developments do continue to advance, and some are quite impressive. but this is a long way from exhibiting any sort of mystical implications.

of course, mystical implications could be a fantasy themselves. but this is neither fish nor fowl of having to be or not be.

3. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

i think this article was from 2012, i realize it's old news but this is the first time that I actually read the real scientific papers on this sort of subject. Before I had only read about it from secondary sources.

Either way, it's quite interesting. I wonder about the moral implications of creating a "brain" that had emotions, and could feel things .. would that be considered cruelty to attach it to devices to allow its interaction with the outside world and subjecting it to these experiments.

I think it's pretty cruel to subject lab rats to the experiments that they do too, but it's a necessary evil I suppose. It's the only way to currently learn the things that can only be learned by experiments with a living subject.