Art or Vandalism?

Discussion in 'Art' started by MexicanFlowerChild, May 9, 2004.

1. MexicanFlowerChild

MexicanFlowerChild Member

Ive seen around the net of how many people argue about graffiti being art or vandalism...
    I see it as another way to show how u feel and your expresions of yourself... sure theres many people out there that just do it to get fame but ive also seen so many graffiti that has meaning to it...But that's just how i feel...
    Now i know that spray cans destroy our atmosphere but that's another topic and i just want to read about people's feelings about this art or vandalism (your choice)...

2. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

I think it really depends on what it is... If it's just someone spraying their name on a wall, its vandalism. But, when they get into the bigger, longer sayings or pictures-especially with different colors, then it's definitely art. Misplaced, but art, nevertheless... :)

3. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

i also think it depends.

4. Enron

Enron Member

Spray paint hurts the environment? i thought they fixed that.

5. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Member

I agree with everyone else--depends on what it looks like, where it is, etc.

6. Dolphin~Rider

Dolphin~Rider Member

Alot of it is beautiful and expressive. I definitely feel it is a legitimate art form; however, when it is drawn on someone else's property without their permission it is vandalism. How would you feel if you finally got the money together(thousands and thousands of dollars) to start and open your own business, only to find unwanted "art" all over it day after day. You remove it one day, it's back the next. People shy away from businesses with grafitti all over them, assuming that the neighborhood is unsafe. I think these artist should try to get permission to do murals instead of writing all over someone's property (or public property). But I do understand that I'm not from the age or cultural backround of the people doing the art work, so this is just my opinion. Not meant to start a fight, ya know?

7. mjoda

mjoda Member

I agree with Dolphin's comment.

But when I look around the streets, bombarded and littered with Gap, GM, Molson and other ads on billboards, benches, buses--basically everywhere--grafitti is a welcome form of original art in my eyes.

8. skybutterflygal

skybutterflygal Member

I might as well agree. it all depends on what it is... If it's just someone spraying their name on a wall, its vandalism outright... But, when they get into the bigger, longer sayings or pictures with different colors, (eg: murals), then it's art as long as it's either commissioned or after permission is sought.[​IMG]

9. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I saw some that said some guy was going to kill my mother. I don't go back to that place now.

Unless we're in a fight.... :) haha

10. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

I think some of the grafitti pictures are really neat and I wonder whoa how do they do that?! and sometimes when I see it in really high places or little overpasses i wonder 'how did they get up there?' but anyways, if its just on a blank wall or something, i think its art. i've seen some really awesome ones. if its trucks,people's business places or wherever, then i think its rude and vandilism(don't know how to spell that)!

11. sef

sef Member

umm i kinda agree. in germany they actually taught graffiti at this one art school, and the city gave them permission to do it on buildings and at certain places... it was nice

12. Megara

Megara Banned

its vandalism unless they get the permission of the owner of the building to do it....some graffiti is just a mess..others are awesome..art can be vandalism...but its vandalism if its doing it on someone elses property without their permission...

13. fugedaboudit

fugedaboudit Member

graffiti is art

14. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

I think there are two main questions that need to be raised to detemine if its art or vandalism.
    1)Was consent given to tag the building, sign whatever?
    This is the main question that pops out but then again, if someone tags under a bridge, what damage is done? I dont think spray painting drain trenches symbolises the fall of the free world, but if this is out on buildings it matters a lot. I know a convience store whose got an employee that used to tag stuff on the wall with the owners consent. Which brings me to the next point:
    2) Dose it have any expressive or artistic value? Spraying "TJ Rulez Bitches" isn't very artistic is it? It doesn't do much except for make TJ feel better about his wang. The convience store guy had a lot of cool stuff. He would take up the entire wall with one piece. I remember he did a Bruce Lee tribute once. That was awesome as hell. I've also seen poetry done real nice.

A lot of people say that it should just on a canvas if its real art, but I think street grafitii has a distinctive vibe about it that gives it more presence then your standard canvas. Spray can isn't your typical median as with brick as well. Some people have trouble assosiating art because its not behind a frame, in a book, or building. Art is everywhere. Now these people shouldnt tag everywhere. Find a sensible place to do it then spray on. There, my hat is in the ring.

15. JOsie

JOsie Member

it doesn't matter really...it was done to provoke a reaction...whatever that reaction was...so it's art...whatever it is...wherever it is...you might not agree with what it says...or where it is...but it's still art...

for example...if it was, as is really common around where i live, a swastika on a wall it's the same as if some guy who went thru art school did it on canvas and put it in a gallery...except the gallery piece would be acceptable because it's in a gallery and done by an "artist"...graffiti wherever it is is art...whatever it says or depicts...it is art...

16. Marlyn

Marlyn Member

well its both. I dont think that we should be putting our things on other peoples buildings, i just think it's rude. i think that if they want to that bad then they should ask permission or somethings. i do enjoy it tho, i Love grafitti, and luckily here they have a skate park where ppl are allowed to do grafitti and its gorgeous. personally i think we should have more stuff like that.

17. Dandelion_Blood

Dandelion_Blood Gremlin

i think that some graff can be refured to as art, because its just soooo amazingly done, there such a high level of skill gone into it it can't be refured to as anything but art. But i also think that some graff, is so shoddly done, so pointless that its purely in my eyes done for vandalism and nothing else...

Art is never vandalism..... vandalism is willful wanton and malicious destruction of the property of others. How can you say some of the great graff thats been done as wanton and malicous?

Hmmm. tricky question to answer.. ask the people that do it why they do it, what purpose does their graff serve and there lies your answer whether graff is art or vandalism

ttfn
    dandy

18. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

graffiti is art!!!

19. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

But what makes it such Wonka?

20. WaitingForTheSun

WaitingForTheSun Member

I have seen some graffetti(sp?) that is absolutely beautiful. There's obviously a large number of people who have a great talent with this trade. I mean making art with spray paint? I don't think I'd ever be able to do that. But at the same time, if I were to own a building or business or what not, I probably wouldn't want someone spray painting all over it. I suppose it can be art if it's done in the right places and in the right way, not just to mess up someone elses property.