Army Recruiters in public schools

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by dedhead95, Jan 25, 2005.

1. dedhead95

dedhead95 The Wizard of Rhythm

Today at my school there was a Army reserve recruiter at a booth, asking kids if they were thinking about the armed services after high school. This seems very wrong to me. Most of the kids don't even have a clue why we're even at war.
    Any other opinions?

2. Mui

Mui Senior Member

yeah it is evil... i hate army recruiters... grr.

3. thehipsterdufus

thehipsterdufus Member

military recruiters have been going to schools for YEARS

no big deal to me, just say no (or yes, or whatever)

4. element7

element7 Random fool

Well with a provision in the 'No Child Left Behind' towards schools being required to provide contact information, academic records, etc.. to the department of defense ... unless your parents signed 'no' on the permission slip that was supposedly distributed ... expect a few phone calls too. As far as opinions, I'd say counter them by distributing hard info on the war at the same time that they are there. Stage a die in. hell, dress like the classic Abu photo of the man on the box in the hood and stand next to em :X. They're asking you and your peers to go off and die for them so why shouldn't you be able to respond with a resoundingly clear HELL NO.

5. dedhead95

Maybe I'll do that, if they are there tomorrow.

6. kjhippielove88

kjhippielove88 color + rhyme

theyre always at my school giving out waterbottles and post-its:rolleyes:

7. lildeadheadash

lildeadheadash Member

Yup yup same here. We got them all at my school. I like the fact that they give out free candy.

8. Astaroth

Astaroth Banned

Expect to see more of them when draft is reinstated :)

9. Amanda's Shadow

Amanda's Shadow Flower Child

They are at my school everyday when I am waiting for my ride to my Performing Arts School. It is absolutely disgusting. They ven called my CELL PHONE!!! I think that is illegal. Also, I told one of them that I was a conscientious objector. He said, "oh yeah, a conscious onjecter." I honestly don't think he knew what that was.

One day, I saw one of them talking to my friend, Tim. The next day, Tim came in with his hair cut and said hed joined the marines. He said that they said that he would not have to go to Iraq. I would not beleive that though. Before they reinstate the draft, they are going to use up everyone.

Also, they take advantage of my school's low average income. I go to a poor, southern, mostly-minority, public school and they know that, Thanks to No-Child-Left-Behind, they are allowed to come in and convince all of these kids who have no money or future in college that they can help them. Unfortunately, they may all end up dying. It is DISGUSTING! Peace

10. dedhead95

That's sad :( Did he know what he was doing?

11. airforcedrew

airforcedrew Banned

Holy God.... If your friend joined the marines, then hes going to Iraq. The good thing about joining now though is that you have to have parental consent to join at 17. I don't get how they called your cell phone unless you gave them your number, or a friend did as a practical joke.

Anyways, recruiters have been at every school ive been to, all the way up to college. Its their job to do what they do, and its their "right."

12. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

They have every right to be in your school...it's public...stop bitching.

13. element7

element7 Random fool

LOL. So the recruiters have every right to be there but the students don't reserve the right to speak out about it? Is that what you're saying? That's right, kids, sit down, shut up , and do what you're told, the military has arrived. sheesh, some people.....

14. goldmund

goldmund Member

They don't have to be allowed in all schools, just ones that recieve federal funding under title 8, etc. In other words, the low income schools. It is definately exploitive, but the military is also a social ladder for many poor, rural, and minority kids.

Another thing I don't like is that JROTC classes are the only classes that can be taught by a teacher without a credential. I don't think they even have to have a degree.

15. Megara

Megara Banned

Pretty much.

What next, kids speaking out against teachers?

I know at my high school they sat in the corner of the cafeteria. Big deal. They might say hi when you walk by. At that age, if a kid cant think for himself then the military is probably his best option.

16. element7

element7 Random fool

OMG kids speaking out about/against teachers. Get real. It happens all the time. As far as not thinking for themself, it's not taught in school, and in many cases at home. It's up to their fellow students who have a clue to distribute the info and help educate their peers. But, obviously, some are against that.