Argh! Parents!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by velvet, Jan 9, 2005.

1. velvet

velvet Banned

*SIGH*

I'm having tears in my eyes out of pure frustration. I called my parents to ask if they would like it if I would come over someday with my new boyfriend and they started giving me a hard time.. because they wanted a 'break for all those guys'.. WTF?

I've known this guy for several years, this is the second time we're in a relationship together and this time it's going great and we're planning on moving in together soon.. before that I had only 3 major relationships that each lasted for several years and were very solid..

Argh! And it's so sad, because my bf would really like to meet my parents and is so kind when he talks about them.. and they are just giving him the cold shoulder.. 'nothing personal' they say.. yeah well..

Damnit..

*sigh*

Need a hug..

2. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Don't mind them, they'll come around I'm sure.

3. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

Hey Velvet... I hear ya... here's a hug! (((((((((big hug for Velvet)))))))))

4. hiro

hiro pursue it

(Hug) well velvet just bring him over anyway and they will see what a nice guy he is.

5. Ann-Akim

Ann-Akim Member

Netherlands rocks :)

6. moominmamma

moominmamma Member

I'm just wondering, if maybe your parents would like to see you more by yourself? I'm only thinking this because my son is in a happy long term relationship at the moment, and I really like his girlfriend, in fact she comes and visits us herself when he is away at university.....but I always see him with her, and just sometimes I would like to see him seperately?

Don't get me wrong I'm sorry that your parents don't want to meet your boyfriend, I think it's rather unwise of them as it may push you away from them if you know what I mean.......but I am just wondering if you spent some time with them by yourself first maybe it would help the situation.

7. Peanuts

Peanuts Nutz

Here's a hug for you Velvet.

Here's an idea. What if your boyfriend called your Mom and Dad and asked them out to dinner? The four of you could go out. He would be showing them just how much it means to him to meet your parents. They might respect him for making an effort.

Congratulations to you and your love finding love together again with each other. I wish you many years of happiness. :)

ps. My parents were skeptical of my husband before we got married. We had a very rocky relationship dating. My Dad told us he would believe the Wedding the day it happened. Today (after 9 years of marriage) my parents LOVE my husband. He has provided a wonderful life for our boys and me.

Give it time. Let him have a chance to prove himself to them.

8. hiro

hiro pursue it

Peanuts what do you boys look like?

9. Peanuts

Peanuts Nutz

My youngest (4) looks a lot like me. He has red hair and big blue eyes. He kinda looks like a very young Clay Aiken. My oldest (5) looks a lot like me and my husband. He has light brown/blondish hair and big green/hazel eyes. Some say he looks like James Dean. lol

I don't like to post pictures of them for safety reasons. I have in the past but now I am freaked out about it.

10. Love_N_it

Love_N_it Banned

just show up with him when you are ;passing through' their area,

and play hard to get if they like him and want you to bring him over again.

cheer up! at least it's your folks that your having a problem with... and not his.

11. velvet

velvet Banned

Yeah.. my dad called twice today with some lame excuse.. hehe.. his way of saying 'sorry' for being so harsh.. he told me they have trouble 'keeping up with me'..ahhw.. poor old folks ;)

As to his parents.. they are divorced and I haven't met his dad yet.. they (him and his bro) see their dad only ones or twice each year (if they have to) and he is kinda reluctant going over there.. which I totally understand, knowing their childhoodhistory. In fact, I think it would be hard to come face to face with the guy that caused them a lot of pain. Their mom however is ├╝ber-relaxed and has taken me up in the family again although I broke up with her boy the first time.. she's great.. she's 62 years but still working and full of spirit. She distrusts men but loves her two boys and I think she's happy that at least one of them has a pretty steady relationship now.. I'm glad she forgave me for breaking up with him (and that he has too!!)!

Thanks for the support people! :D

12. monosphere

monosphere Holly's Hubby

*HUGE HUG from the Sphere*

You never seem to get a break with the parental units, do ya? Do they know that you're dating someone you've dated before? IT might help if they know you already have a history with him, but I'm sure you've already told them. I honestly can't imagine anyone disliking your bf. I was skeptical at first considering how much I liked your previous bf, but the current one impressed me within the first hour of meeting him, just as I'm sure he'll win your parents hearts as well. He's a good man and it will show. Keep your chin up, k?

13. velvet

velvet Banned

Yeah they know.. but I reminded them again nonetheless ;) And yeah.. he's great *gloating*.. teehee