argg!!! patterns

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Berries, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Berries

Berries Member

Ugh! I am getting pretty irrattated with simplicity patterns. I just need to vent!
    So i decided to make a pair of corduroy pants, and i havent made pants in over 2 years so i got out the pattern to help me along(this patterns is also from 1972, so i thought that they didnt make crap back then like they do now). Now normaly with any other pattern company, the pieces of the patterns should fit well and one piece shouldnt be smaller then others, they should all fit right when sewn together. well i got almost all the way through the whole pattern and im up to makin the waist band which is the third to last step. pinned it all up and the waist band is to short on both sides. so im thinkin what the hell, not again! This isnt the first time i have had this problem with simplicity. i tryed repinning it in every which way and still no go. i decided that isntead of going out and buying another yard of fabric for one little piece, i will just add alittle to the ends and all should be well. WRONG! i broke the needle because the fabric go to thick where the extra seam was and i had to stitch rip the whole thing out after serging and everything. im not mad at them for that, that was my dumb fault for not just getting more fabric. but thats just it, i have to go out and get more fabric for a problem that shouldnt have been there in the first place. Its just very frustrating to me that when you cut out a pattern all the pieces should be the right size. i even checked over all the steps to make sure i didnt make any mistakes, like sew the seem to big or small. nope, did all correctly. so tomorrow i will be out buying more fabric, for one little piece. oh well. Also the last few times i tryed to make a top with simplicity patterns i had to redo many parts of the top and take in at least 5 inches or more becasue they made the pattern too big, the size i have always used in the past is now to big for me. measurments are still the same. I just dont think i will be using simplicity anymore. Sorry if i seem angry and bitchy, im usually not like this, just needed to vent out about my problems. if anyone else has had similar problems with simplicity please do tell..

2. Cre

Cre Senior Member

Patterns = Pain in the bum

I make my own. If I do follow a store bought one I always end up modifying the hell out of it to suit me. lol

3. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

yea i dont use pattern, i dont even make my own. I just get the scissors and cut right into the fabric :p see what comes out of it. I never plan my tops before i do them.

4. Cre

Cre Senior Member

ohh...fleassy..you so crazy! I am scared to just cut if the fabric rocks or is expensive!

5. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

Hehe yea i know that feeling. But i figure MEH why not :p i work it out in my head. sometimes draw it onto the fabric. the only thing i used a kind of pattern on lately was jaycees long sleeved top. what i did was take appart an old short sleeved button up shirt of his and used it as a vague pattern. but aside from that i dont really.

6. LostCove

LostCove Member

There's a great book out Modern Pattern Design and even though it's dated, the directions are really detailed and it helps if you want to draft your own patterns. Which is usually what you end up doing with paper patterns anywho bc/s they are usually screwed up.

7. Berries

Berries Member

yeah i usually dont use patterns too much either, but since i hadnt made pants in so long i figured id use it. The silly thing is there are 2 different pants on that pattern i used and i made the other pair the last time. this time i wanted to try the different one. shouldve stuck with the one that worked. oh well. Hey thanks for the link on the pattern info, once i get a chance to sit down and look it over i deffinatly will.