Are you ready for power outages?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Changeyourlatitude, May 9, 2004.

1. Changeyourlatitude

Changeyourlatitude Banned

DO NOT RUN OUT AND BUY A GENERATOR! Almost everyone tosses a lawnmower because the body rusted or for some other reason not associated with the engine. How about make your own PowerStation for power outages. It’s not too hard check out this link for step-by-step details. http://theepicenter.com/tow082099.html

Add a 12 Volt deep cycle battery and a power inverter and you can power nearly everything in the house, if the inverter is large enough. I bought a 500-Watt inverter for $10 at a flea market and it runs the aquarium, two TV’s, Game cube, VCR and the computer. To keep from running the homemade generator so often during power outages add more batteries.

Changeyourlatitude

2. hippietoad

hippietoad Member

Hummmmmmmm, now I'm thinking. This would be good for camping w/ the westie !!

3. morningsong347

morningsong347 Member

My boyfriend is on top of that!! We lost power in the house last year and I was bummed. Then he turned on his contraption... and we had power:D

We also take the house stereo outdoors on the weekends so we use it often!! Great investment;)

4. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

thanx for the info!

5. Midget

Midget Senior Member

That looks neato! I'm going to bookmark it, and read some more later when I have some more time. :)

6. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

so what do you do, charge up the battery, then use it on the inverter?

7. teepi

teepi living my dream

Yes the battery is the storage vehicle.
    You can also hook up a solar panel to the battery.
    Watch you amps on your appliances.
    Target sells 400 watt inverters for about 40 dollars. We use 2. The deep cycle batteries are what they use on golf carts. And can be bought for about 54 dollars each..we use 6.
    Solar panels can be bought used.
    Make sure you read up on all of this before attempting...the batteries hold a charge longer if they are held at a constant temp. and do not let them run down completly. Also if you are going to store them make sure you drain them first or they can bust.
    With the price of fuel... solar panels are great.

8. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

Awesome! Thanks for posting!