Are we neglecting our children?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by laughing-buddha, Jun 22, 2013.

1. laughing-buddha

laughing-buddha Relax and have fun

Rise in cases of depression among schoolchildren worries authorities

Abu Dhabi: Health authorities are worried about the alarming rise in the number of schoolchildren suffering from depression in UAE.

A recent study among school children in Dubai found one in five students showed symptoms of depression. Out of 1,289 students surveyed between the ages of 14 and 18, 17.5 per cent were diagnosed with advanced symptoms.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/g...-schoolchildren-worries-authorities-1.1199386

FYI PL

2. odonII

odonII O

She doesn't look like she is from Abu Dhabi :D

[​IMG]

Seriously...

Are we neglecting our children? I would imagine some of us are.

I would say It's probably not unusual that a proportion of 14-18 year olds are depressed, also a proportion of children sent to boarding schools feel resentment, too.

3. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I'm sure some people neglect their kids, but that's not new. Most of us were latch-key kids in the 80's.

4. laughing-buddha

But don't we plan something better for them?

"She doesn't look like she is from Abu Dhabi "

Yes, UAE has 80% expat population, mostly here for earning quick money,
    Squeezing themselves in matchbox apartments.

Everything is expensive and the only activity children can do is- video games and internet.No wonder, they are depressed.

Why people fail to realise the long term consequences, and blindly run after money? This I think is the root cause.

5. absentwithin

absentwithin Member

Maybe by wanting something better for them they need to try and earn money by working over seas? Who are we to judge what parents do to earn a living for their families? Being a teenager is often times depressing.. But really things are so expensive all the can do is play video game and prowl the internet? So getting together with friends isn't affordable? C'mon now most teenagers are depressed to one degree or another at one point or another in their teen years. Depression isn't uncommon actually it affects nearly 20-40% of teenagers yearly so the numbers are pretty much on point with what i seen above.. For reference http://www.teenhelp.com/teen-depression/depression-statistics.html
    It's pretty common place it happens to teens from all walks of life.. Pretty sure when i was a teen if they had these studies in place the numbers would've been pretty much the same to one degree or another.. Our parents just called it growing pains back then and we didn't have much for video games or the internet lol..

6. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Overall I think that our generation has done the most damage to our youth with the "me" phase.

We have bought into the "we" have to be happy, be content, be alright and if that means medications, then that is just fine as then we will be "happy" and life will be just great, looking through that pill bottle.

We do a great harm and it is one that we own. Life is not always happy and smooth and learning to deal with that is a lesson we should have had and passed on.

Those who have "real" medical conditions do need help and should have it. Those who want to float through life should not.

We have bought into the "happy" and that shows in that we medicate our kids. They encounter issues, lets take them and get them pills. Get them into therapy, have someone else take it on and give them a script.

There are those who need meds and therapy. That is not the majority who are on them or using those services who instead need family to tell them that yes, this is life and sometimes it sucks but if you want something to work find a way and it will.

Time most parent also put away the scripts.

I can tell this will be a popular opinion. ;)

7. odonII

odonII O

I was only joking on that particular point.

I've read it's 91% not 80%!
    That doesn't seem to be a factor in the study.
    Perhaps there is a connection between moving to a different society, and children being depressed.

As absentwithin has pointed out:
    'Depression isn't uncommon actually it affects nearly 20-40% of teenagers' yearly'
    'It's pretty commonplace it happens to teens from all walks of life.'

What does the article point out as causes:
    'Obesity and peer pressure to look good lead to anxiety and depression among teenagers.'
    'Teenage schoolchildren contemplate suicide when things don't go their way.'
    'It is mostly children who have issues with body weight or the way they look who show strong symptoms of depression.'
    'Problems could be as trivial as their best friend not talking to them or more serious issues like low self-esteem or bullying by other children.'

So is this indicative of living in the UAE? I doubt it.
    It seems to be a study in a country where these studies are not often carried out.
    It states that 17% of children are 'depressed' - which means 83% of the children are not.
    It also does not mention parental influences with regards to 'depression'.

If you were to ask any child anywhere are they happy with their parents, and they said: 'No, not all of the time.' - does that mean bad parenting is evident and/or the child is depressed? I would say no.

My point was: children are 'depressed' between certain ages of their lives.
    It also obvious some parents - wherever they are - neglect their children.
    It is more likely a child is neglected in a poor aspirational free family - than one that are chasing a dream (you may say money).

8. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Yeah I think it's pretty normal for teenagers to show signs of depression. Sadness is a normal human emotion, and is required for the "human experience." Too many people try to hide from it with medication. Pharm companies, therapists and other doctors will try to tell you otherwise.

"Oh, you're sad? Boyfriend dump you? Here take this pill. Lets get you nice and numb so you become dependent and never learn how to deal with life."

Like someone else said, I don't want to take anything away from those who need it. But I think that depression is one of many things that is over diagnosed. Part of being happy is being able to roll with the punches and fight through sadness, ignoring it and stuffing it down with a pill isn't healthy.

9. laughing-buddha

I find this discussion healthy and helpful.
    Many of the points I had not thought over in depth.

Meanwhile, I find this article today-

http://gulfnews.com/life-style/heal...nd-does-mental-illness-really-exist-1.1200627

Critics claim that the American Psychiatric Association’s increasingly voluminous manual will see millions of people unnecessarily categorised as having psychiatric disorders. For example, shyness in children, temper tantrums and depression following the death of a loved one could become medical problems, treatable with drugs. So could internet addiction.

Inevitably such claims have given ammunition to psychiatry’s critics, who believe that many of the conditions are simply inventions dreamed up for the benefit of pharmaceutical giants.

A disturbing picture emerges of mutual vested interests, of a psychiatric industry in cahoots with big pharma. As the writer, Jon Ronson, only half-joked in a recent TED talk: “Is it possible that the psychiatric profession has a strong desire to label things that are essential human behaviour as a disorder?”

FYI PL

10. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

I believe that a lot of emotions we feel with unknown cause as teenagers and adults stem from our first years of life. Babies, toddlers and preschoolers soak up everything they see, hear and do. For example, studies show that babies left in a room to cry alone (known as sleep training or cry it out), are more likely to have attachment and confidence issues in their adult lives, as well as anxiety and depression.

11. laughing-buddha

Yes,
    I think these are known as formative years.

The worst punishment for a child is- isolation/ locking up in a room
    or mama/ papa not talking to them.

But again, is it possible that pharma companies are "making mountain of a molehill" for selling their drugs, as mentioned in above article?

12. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Mama Peace,that's a good point. I know I couldn't bear to leave my kids in the crib to cry and cry. I just didn't see that that did any good. I usually picked them up and sat in a rocking chair and held them 'till they went nighty-night. I mean,what was I going to do--sit in the other room and read or something while my little ones cried for some companionship? No could do. My kids never seem to get depressed at their present ages,but I'm sure their teen years were like most others that went thru a split-up. I know mine was.

13. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

Yes I do think the medicinal industry does use the uprise of illnesses both physical and mental to their advantage, which I think causes a false sense of recovery for many and dependancy too. You can get pills for just about anything.

Along with the early years development, I also think the modern way of life - 9-5, technology dependancy, lack of time outdoors, also creates problems with depression. Many kids now don't have much chance to go outside and play or use imagination outside of school. Things like coimbing trees and building forts are becoming less common down to the introduction of games and technology as an everyday thing. Many children wont experience a childhood rich with bike rides, outdoors exploring and fun things like that due to being in school most of the time, having working parents who don't have time to take them out and to the amount of technology crap stuffed into each household.

Thats why I take my two year old and we visit places around the UK every week during my time off work. She has a bike seat up front inbtween my arms and we cycle and explore where we are then set uo camp for the night in our tent. We have everything we need for a few days on the back of the bike and never get bored, shes constantly smiling and so am I. No techno stuff involved other than my phone for photos and communication if needed.

14. odonII

odonII O

Have you any idea what are the differences? - how much bigger, what is in and what is out etc.

15. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

I suspect it's less of an actual rise in depression but more of a rise in diagnosis.

16. laughing-buddha

17. odonII

odonII O

It's a fair article, imho.

18. laughing-buddha

LOL.

IMHO- I had to look in urban dictionary. (I am little new to these terms)
    Also, English is not my first language, and I have to exert a bit, to grasp the meaning or understand the point.

I believe, this is little sarcasm?

Anyway, these are the things we get in news here, and have to read a lot between the lines.

19. laughing-buddha

Mamapeace,

This is exactly what we should be doing, and I think you are doing a good job.

I have thought of 3 questions we should always be asking ourselves-

1 Am I providing them enough opportunities for overall growth?
    2 Am I overprotecting/overproviding and making them dependent?
    3 Am I influencing too much and restricting their freedom to choose?

Is this enough? or do we need to add some more?

20. odonII

odonII O

It wasn't sarcasm. It was my humble opinion.

IMHO - I believe it brought out many of the arguments, and did not seem to give one voice more emphasis than another.

You chose to pick out of the article the parts you were drawn to - but the entire article was fair to the issue.

'Critics claim that the American Psychiatric Association’s increasingly voluminous manual will see millions of people unnecessarily categorised as having psychiatric disorders.'

'Inevitably such claims have given ammunition to psychiatry’s critics, who believe that many of the conditions are simply inventions dreamed up for the benefit of pharmaceutical giants.'

'Psychiatry’s supporters retort that such suggestions are clumsy, misguided and unhelpful, and complain that the much-hyped publication of the manual has become an excuse to reheat tired arguments to attack their profession.'

' “Psychiatric diagnosis is often presented as an objective statement of fact, but is, in essence, a clinical judgment based on observation and interpretation of behaviour and self-report, and thus subject to variation and bias.”'

'Psychiatrists say that such claims have been made many times before and ignore mountains of peer-reviewed papers about the importance that biological factors play in determining mental health, including significant work in the field of genetics. It also, they say, misrepresents psychiatry’s position by ignoring its emphasis on the impact of the social environment on mental health.
    Most psychiatrists concede that diagnosis of psychiatric disorder is not perfect. '

'mental health treatment would benefit from a “paradigm shift” so that it focused less on the biological aspects of mental health and more on the personal and the social.
    “In essence, instead of asking ‘What is wrong with you?’, we need to ask ‘What has happened to you?’,” Johnstone said. “Once we know that, we can draw on psychological evidence to show how life events and the sense that people make of them have led to the current difficulties.”'

'A recent article in the online edition of the British Medical Journal suggested “that only one in seven people actually benefits” from antidepressants and claimed that three-quarters of the experts who wrote the definitions of mental illness had links to drug companies.'

'This defence, which will be outlined at a major international conference on the impact of DSM-5, to be held at KCL at the beginning of June, is often lost in a shrill debate'

DSM-5 CONFERENCE
    http://www.kcl.ac.uk/iop/news/events/2013/june/DSM-5-Conference.aspx

'Sue Bailey, president of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, conceded that “many of the criticisms that are levelled at DSM” were valid but warned that the row was “distracting us from the real challenge, which is providing high-quality mental health services and treatment to patients and carers”.
    Bailey insisted the manual’s publication “won’t have any direct influence on the diagnosis of mental illness in the NHS”. But it will frame the wider debate about how people see mental health. As Wessely acknowledged, psychiatry’s critics will seize on the manual’s “daft” new categories of mental disorder to bolster claims that the profession is “medicalising normality”.'