are the hippies on the left or right side of this pic?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by cynthy160, Aug 14, 2013.

1. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

The classic definition of 60's hippies is that they were peace-loving pacifists that embraced flowers instead of guns. More recent alternative assessments say that they were actually gun rights activists, embracing a philosophy like that of White Separatist groups, and armed to the teeth.

[​IMG]

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Didn't hippies spit on troops and stuff?
    Yeah, real nice folk.

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Guess the obvious is true after all and they were just a bunch of people with individual mindsets who happened to share the same subculture.

4. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

I was a kid in the 60s , its too far back to remember how I thought .

5. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What's your source for this?

6. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

As best as I can remember the hippies were more interested in " dropping out' "tunning out", " doing there own thing " " getting high" , ect. than gun rites .

7. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

hippie's sucha broad term that it probably encompassed a whole heap of differing ideological stances.

but given that there was so much political activism at the time, its pretty unlikely that they were all entirely peaceful

8. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Those who started the movement that became known as hippies were political activists. They were not particularly peaceful when mentoring a cause. The image of flower power and peace came far later.

9. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

[​IMG]

"When American Beauty came out, there was a photograph to go on the back which showed the band with pistols. They were getting into guns at the time, going over to Mickey's ranch, target shooting...they were just enjoying shooting pistols. (For example, we got a gold record and went and shot it up.)
    I saw that photo, and that was one of the few times I ever really asserted myself with the band and said 'No - no picture of the band with guns on the back cover.' These were incendiary and revolutionary times, and I did not want this band to be making that statement. I wanted us to counter the rousing violence of that time. I knew that we had a tool to do it, and we just didn't dare go the other way."

http://deadessays.blogspot.com/2010/10/jerry-garcia-looks-for-audience-tapers.html

10. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Released in 1976

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8egE4x9Djo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8egE4x9Djo

11. EL Tuna

EL Tuna Member

Id say its a mixed. Just because they were holding firearms and in uniform don't mean they feel what they are doing is right and if they were not their in uniform, They could be there in dashiki tripping balls licking schnaz berrys packing .45's.