Are humans special creatures

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by jonny2mad, Apr 23, 2007.

1. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

many religions seem to think that humans are special creatures created in the image of god are we ?

Could you see other animals develop the ability to talk , do they already? if you have apes that have already been seen starting to make weapons ....start writing books and talking how would this effect the way we see other animals .

now to me there is no reason that another species couldnt develop so that they spoke if dogs were able to speak or cats or cows or pigs what do you think they would say .

if animals could speak would that effect whether we could breed them for meat and surely they must be aware that they are being taken to be slaughtered now and feel distress

2. dapablo

dapablo redefining

I believe the religions don't prescribe souls for animals, hence the mindset of animals as food "they are there for you use".

That seemed like common sense for humanity up until, when, say the start of the twentieth century, give or take a year or two. :)

3. lithium

lithium frogboy

Origin of Species - 1859. It once made sense to imagine that mankind was special because we could imagine no other way in which humans could have come about other than being designed for a purpose. Darwin exploded that by showing us precisely how we could develop from single cell organisms by gradual steps guided entirely by blind natural processes.

Other animals do communicate, just not with complex languages like us. Apes use tools, have complex social structures, exhibit altruism and xenophobia. No, we're not special:D

4. jonny2mad

jonny2mad Senior Member

so do you see other animals developing speech and how would that effect things

5. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

I believe animals have souls. There are a lot of stories about animals as ghosts. And I believe animals are equal to man. we are all residents of Earth. unfortunately we have a food chain. I rarely eat pork and rarely eat lamb.

6. lithium

lithium frogboy

Well if you're talking about humanlike speech, then no, no other animals will develop humanlike speech, since it came about as a consequence of a very specific alignment of physiology, complex social groups and a requirement for large brains. It's conceivable that there may be another humanlike offshoot species from apes within a few tens of thousands of years capable of complex languages like ours, but that kind of speculation is somewhat absurd!

What is interesting is the different kinds of languages other species use, there are examples of quite involved communication by scent, dance, touch etc, as well as the other animals who use different sounds. Our fellow mammals dolphins of course communicate with a complicated variety of whistles and clicks which could evolve into a far more complex system of language comparable to our own. It depends on the physiological capability of creating a wide enough variety of sounds, the presence of complex enough language and reasoning centres in the brain and the value of communicating highly complicated messages as an aid to survival or reproduction.

7. J0hn

J0hn Phantom

I used to have this african grey, called Alfie. He sadly died but he used to say a few words of human language. he used to like saying hello. Guess he felt ignored sometimes.

8. razy

razy Fazed and Contused

I think it's far more probable that man has created God from his own image.

If there is a god, it will most likely bear no relation to man, and exist in an alternate reality or dimension.

I do think that we are special creatures in that our cognitive abilities are far beyond other animals, but we also have primeval instincts and urges.

We have the ability to think and behave rationally, though obviously we don't always do so.