Are hippies better off today?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by newo, May 31, 2007.

1. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What I’m asking specifically is, are hippies better off than they were in the 60s because their lifestyle isn’t as popular? Think about it, in 1965 & ‘66, Haight-Ashbury was a hippie utopia. There was free food provided to those who needed it, free clothing, free medicine and free places to sleep. Then a lot of publicity generated by the public outcry against the hippies caused a huge rush of people crowding into the Haight in the summer of ‘67. They came from all over the country for a piece of the action. Suddenly the system was overwhelmed and there weren’t enough free services to go around. People ended up begging for spare change and sleeping in the streets, hungry and sick. Many who came weren’t really into the hippie philosophy and just wanted to get in on the free sex and drugs. Some of the original hippies left, disgusted with the way things had fallen apart. At the end of summer people cleared out, but some of those who stayed behind were junkies and bums while others were just a drain on the system, thus the Haight could never be the way it was again.

Real hippies don’t care if being a hippie is trendy, they choose it because it suits them, no matter if it doesn’t suit most people. But are hippies better off if they’re not trendy? Apparently the hippie lifestyle can only support so many people. Is it best if only a few participate because it means each person gets more?

BTW, no I wasn’t there at the time, I was 13 and living in Massachusetts, and San Francisco might as well have been on the dark side of the moon, though some kids my age ran away and went there. But from everyone and every source I’ve ever heard from this is the way it was in the Haight.

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Are hippies better off today?

Probably... most are in retirement homes right now as it is.

3. Forget me not

Forget me not Member

I think it depends on how you look at it. For young hippies like me who are looking for like-minded individuals probably not, as in the 60's hippies were everywhere. I'd have liked that, peace and love everywhere. However, I've heard that the police were very prejudiced against hippies in the 60's which they're not now...I think. I've not really had a lot of experiance with either the police or the 60's!
    Peace and love wished to all.

4. lovejanisandgrace

lovejanisandgrace Estimated Prophet

But do we have as much support within our kind? You don't see us walking down the street in droves, and we must resort to connecting on a forum. And nothing now is free.

5. The_Walrus

The_Walrus Sgt. Pepper

Yeah, I basically agree with you.

I think that, in some ways, it was easier back in the '60s because it was a much more popular thing...in fact, it was a whole movement. Because it was so popular, it was way easier for like-minded folks to find each other in gatherings.

These days it's harder to find those who would be considered "hippies" because it is no longer a movement. Sure, there are still plenty of hippies (both old and new), but it's not as big of a deal anymore, so it's harder to gather.

But in some ways, maybe it was harder back in the '60s...because, as the original poster said, it could get frustrating...as there were plenty of people who were just in it for the sex and drugs and didn't actually care about anything with substance.

Who knows...
    I guess it depends on how you want to look at it.
    For the sole purpose of gathering, it was easier in the '60s, but I think that the typical philosophies of hippies and whatnot are more accepted these days.

6. Skeeebop

Skeeebop Member

We have a Winner!
    We are all better off today. Still lots, I think hippies are everywhere they just don't want to go by the old outdated cliche title (hippie) or the over the top, now it's turned into a halloween costume (tie die, long hair, circular glasses, sandals and mandals lol) clothing style.

And i like it better that way because we can't spend the present jacking off to what was and not what is to become....BURN YOUR WOODSTOCK DVD PHUCKERS! AND GO TO AN OF MONTREAL or FLAMING LIPS SHOW INSTEAD!

7. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You're right Skeeebop, people shouldn't live in the past, but there's no harm in visiting it now and then. Hold on to that Woodstock DVD, but get out and about in today's world!

Back to my original question, it's been pointed out that it's harder for hippies to gather nowadays. So it seems there are both advantages and disadvantages to the hippie lifestyle being popular. Maybe someday we'll reach a happy medium.

8. Forget me not

Forget me not Member

I wish there were still loads of hippie gatherings nowadays! If there were I'd probably be living in a field right now! Still, it's nice to have a dream.

Peace and love to all

9. pianoperson60

pianoperson60 Senior Member

I agree with Skeebop! Go to Of Montreal concerts!
    I think we have it good these days, I feel like people are qwuite open-minded in my generation, my town has always been known tho as being pretty liberal...but I think we do have something great today, and we just need to be part of it, rather than hanging onto the past: i mean, of course i love listening to old music and shit like that, but theres also a movement goin today.

10. mortes

mortes Senior Member

hell no! These fake ass neo-hippies are nothing compared to the 60s. It'd be different if they were just copying an old trend, but that's all they're doing.

11. crazylegs

crazylegs Member

Well, if you want to sing out, sing out
    And if you want to be free, be free
    ’cause there’s a million things to be
    You know that there are

And if you want to live high, live high
    And if you want to live low, live low
    ’cause there’s a million ways to go
    You know that there are

You can do what you want
    The opportunity’s on
    And if you can find a new way
    You can do it today
    You can make it all true
    And you can make it undo
    You see ah ah ah
    Its easy ah ah ah
    You only need to know

Well if you want to say yes, say yes
    And if you want to say no, say no
    ’cause there’s a million ways to go
    You know that there are

And if you want to be me, be me
    And if you want to be you, be you
    ’cause there’s a million things to do
    You know that there are

Well, if you want to sing out, sing out
    And if you want to be free, be free
    ’cause there’s a million things to be
    You know that there are
    You know that there are
    You know that there are
    You know that there are
    You know that there are

12. pianoperson60

pianoperson60 Senior Member

go Cat Stevens!!!!!!!!! ^

13. Skeeebop

Skeeebop Member

Pianoperson has it kickin'
    New Hope is like the Hippie capital of the Northeast hahahah.

But hellyeah Piano there is some cool scenes going on today,
    And yeah OP i was a little over the top and its obviously totally cool to
    listen to old music watch dvds and shit i still do, but you know what i was trying to say. Just don't become over obsessed and dwell on it ya know.

14. Faye

Faye Member

I don't know if its was easier in the 60's I wasn't alive so I can't tell you what it was like! I think a think some young people especially the young people in my hometown thing that all of the hippies died a long time ago from drug OD's when that is totally untrue. They think that the sixtes was all about drugs. That was a part of it yes, but there was more to it then that, it was about phisophy and living simply and changin the world. In fact, thats still what its about. I think that it was always be hard for the true hippie because a lot of people just don't understand. And they don't seem to want to. The hip-hop culture is big where I live and that is the polar oposite of what I live for and belive. I don't have a lot of friends. I spend a lot of time when Iam on my own when Iam home from college. I have a few friends at college who have similar beliefs. But thoses who don't are open to learning more about mine. As far as the cops go I can't say that I have had much experience with them on a one one level but I have experinced their persence at festival,gatherings, and protest and they are usally very wary of what we are doing our very move. I understand that this is supposed to be for our own beneift but I don't like feeling like I am under a microscope.
    I except and embrace the fact that Iam different. I know that this means that life is going to be harder for me but this will only make me stronger person. So my point is I can only speak from own experince which is that is hard but in a way thats a good thing.

15. VegOut024

VegOut024 Member

Yes and No
    Yes because It's not as popular, but No because now instead of the adults looking down on us like in the 60's, kids our age make fun of us because of stuff they've been brainwashed by like alot of the crap they put on TV, and this hurts substantially more, because they don't even know anything about hippie lifestyle

This is just IMO, which can only be taken half sriously because I wasn't alive in the 60's

16. lifelovefun

lifelovefun Member

Hippies will be alright no matter where they are or when it is. It's whether the society accepts people with these beliefs.