Appalachian Trail

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by siriussnowcat, Jun 11, 2006.

1. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Compared to the CDT the Trail is easy.However Compared to hiking in the Ozarks the AT is difficult. It is not technically challenging except for the rock scramble through Mahoosuc Notch even that one isn't that bad. Some sections like the Mahoosuc Range in ME is quite rugged while the Shenandoah National Park section in VA is relatively flat wityh lots of long ridgelines. The AT never gets easier but never easy.

Don't worry about being lonely out there. You'll met lots of wonderful folks out there.Like I said we're a family everyone watches out for each other.

The Challenge of hiking the AT is only 10 % physical and 90 % mental. All the distarations and bullsh*t of society is stripped away and you many times left alone with you thoughts. Eventually you come face to face with who and what you truly are. Some folks can't handle this and end up going home. Those that stick it out end up being changed for life. Before the Trail I was an unhappy, bitter, insecure person that hated life.All of those negative things slowly melted away and I became happy,confident and contented with life. All the hikers I've met experienced a positive change in their lives.

check out www.whiteblaze.net Some the folks on there are close firends of mine from years back.

You can purchase maps from the Appalachian Trail Conference or ask around on www.whiteblaze.net if your looking for free maps.i'd send you mine but they are really out of date. Comne to think of it I think my brother has them. You really don't need maps for most of the Trail but you will need a guidebook and Data Book which you can purchase from the ATC.

for great deals on gear wwww.campmor.com also check out www.trailjournals.com Backpacker magizine can be handy but I usually only get the annual gear review issue.

The ALDHA (Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association) will hold The Gathering at Concord College in WVA in Oct. They have workshops an clinics on hiking plus you'll met many highly experienced hikers that can give you tons of advice.

Feel free to pm me if you'd like to know more.

Happy Hikin'

BooBoo Georgia to Maine 1998 (Hence my screename)[​IMG]

October 13, 1998

Yours truly at The Baxter Peak of Katahdin. Northern Terminus of The Appalachian Trail.

2. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

Everyone who hikes the AT needs to stop at the Upper Goose Pond cabin in western Massachusetts! It's run by volunteers from the Applachian Mountain Club who dote on through-hikers. In the morning, the pancakes won't stop coming. Don't confuse it with the huts in the White Mountains, also run by the AMC but on a much more commercial basis (though the hut crews may let you sleep in an attic or basement for next to no money if you do a few chores).

Upper Goose Pond last year:
    http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/7070/breakfast7fn.jpg

3. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Upper Goose Pond Cabin ROCKS!!!! AMC sucks... AMC really stands for.....

All
    My
    Cash

Appalachian
    Money
    Club

4. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

BooBoo, what do you think of Ultra-lighters?

5. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

[​IMG]Some folks over do it. (15 lb pack food and water included) Most of Ray Jardine's Golite gear is quite impractical unless you plan on having a bug and rain free hike. Me I liike having my Whisperlite a real tent and sleeping bag when its 35 degrees and raining. Ultalight is best left for summer hiking.

Many of Ultralighters are obessed with doing big mile days (25miles or more perday). I believe that this kind of mind set detracts from the whole wilderness experience.

My early spring/fall pack weight runs about 35 lbs. Summer around 30 lbs.

Above all I believe in doing what works for you personally.

Hike your own hike I say.

6. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

I only ask because I have arthritis in my lower back and I've wanted to do this my entire life. Rainmaker has hiked every major trail in North America with his bad back and neck, and he started when he was a year older than I am now. So I have to figure going minimalist and ultralight will make the difference. Yeah, I couldn't do it the "Ray Way" either. I don't like the taste of DEET that much...

7. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

There's two schools of thought when it comes to Ultralight hiking...

There's the Ray Way then there's the practical way.

If you follow the practical way you can keep your packweight at 28-35 lbs but still have what you truly need. Do your research and you can find lots of pratical,high quility lightweight gear. There's been HUGH advances in hiking gear since my first hike. Ultralight hiking was in its infancy in '98 and therefore ultralight hikers were the exception and not the rule. I was amazed and the new gear I saw on my 03 section hike. I felt like a dinosaur with my 40 lb pack and full grain leather stompers.

Feel free to pm me with any questions you may have about the Trail or hiking in general.

Also check out www.whiteblaze.net There's tons of hikers on there that will be more than willing to give you advice and help you plan your hike.

Oh yes I allmost forgot!!!! ALDHA (Appalachian Long Distance Hiker Association ) will be holding The Gathering Oct. 13-15 at Concord College in Athens WVa. This event is chockfull of talks,workshops and presentations on all aspects of hiking. You'll met many former,futureand current hikers(some fresh off the Trail) at this wonderful event. (not to mention the gear extravaganza) This event is an absolute goldmine of info for those seeking to learn about hiking. I highly reccomend checking it out. You'll met lots of really cool people many of whom are good friends of mine.

Athen is about 5 hr drive where I used to live in Harpers Ferry Wva. I'm not sure how far it is from Glen Burnie MD it can't be to far.

8. PlaceboAddikt

PlaceboAddikt Paranoia!

this is *definitely* something i'm looking to do, hopefully before college (i'm only 16 now...) i've been hiking ever since i could walk, my dad was always really into it. i love it soooo much, being so far away from cities... i'm the kind of person who either likes to be way out in the mountains or in a huge city. suburbs or small towns dont flatter me. i've grown up in southern Virginia, and i've never been away from the Appalachians. :) Wonderful, and good luck finding a companion.

9. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

[​IMG]Southern VA huh? How far are you from Damascus VA? Damascus is the location of the annual hiker festival known as Trail Days. Trai Days is a time for reuniting with old hiker friends and meeting cool new ones. Approx 4,000-8,000 of us take over this tiny little town(pop 800-1,000) for the weekend. There's the talent show,Hiker Parade drum circles and just general partyin' our butts off!

Trail Days is usually the third weekend in May.

Go to www.whiteblaze.net to learn abou the Trail and met the wonderful folks in the hiking community.

To get agander at some Trail Days pics go to aforementioned site click on photos scroll down to Get Togethers and click on Trail Days.

Placeboaddikt keep on planning your hike. Fix the hike idea in you mind. Do the hike, you'll be glad that you did.....

10. PlaceboAddikt

PlaceboAddikt Paranoia!

I plan on it :)
    I've been going a lot of places this summer, North Carolina, Northern Va, Tennessee, and Kentucky, and everywhere i go i see these damn signs for Damascus and i always wonder what is there, lmao. So I'm guessing i live about 2 hours from there.... I'll try to make it there next May, it sounds *very* cool. :)

11. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Take Exit 19 off of I-81. Follow the signs to Damascus

12. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

no, I don't know those people...errr i may know them if I see a face, but most likely not. chain smoking and hiking? that's insane!

13. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

If you had met Jack or Jester you'd remember them! They're pretty memorable people. lol

Fellow Hipforums members Personface and Dirtybongwater both live in Philly. They're good kynd folks so go look them up and tell Personface I said hi.