Appalachian Trail

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by siriussnowcat, Jun 11, 2006.

1. siriussnowcat

siriussnowcat Member

Anybody here in to hiking the AT in April 2008?

Planning a thru hike and looking for a female to join me in the experience.

2. free2fly

free2fly Members

sounds great ... but why 2008? haha

3. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

probably because it does take time to plan and get funds etc in order,,,, aint quite like ya just decide to go for a nice lil walk in the woods :)

4. free2fly

free2fly Members

...or maybe assuming it would take that long to find an ideal "female" for the experience... :rolleyes:

5. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

i was watching something on tv lastnight about the AT. looks like fun and hard work at the same time. they say it takes about 6 months to walk from maine to georgia. something i might like to do someday. they also said to get an AT guide book, lots of good tips in it.

6. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

odd fact about that.... tis like 60% of those who begin the trail together do not finish it together....

the AT is one of my goals at some point in the future

7. siriussnowcat

siriussnowcat Member

Yes, it will be no walk in the park......

I have hike 650+ miles of the "AT"...

These boots have section hiked the Great Smokies into Va. (my biggest longest trip to date,)(5 weeks,+ 450 miles)....
    and most of Northern Va. into PA.

Each trip just makes me want to do it more and more...
    It is always hard to get off the trail after a week or more in the woods...

Yes lots of hikers set out each year to walk over 2000 miles... some make it and many do not....

It takes dedication and planning... and the biggie is 6 months of your time and energy to do it...

So I have been planning since 2000...And hiking all over on weekend or week long trips....

I have all the gear I need....I Just keep hiking to keep in shape until I can be free from the civiliezed world 6 months comes along...2008 is the year..!!

Finding the "ideal" female to do it with....Yes, that will take a special person to take on the adventure...and experience....

But you never know...

It will be an awsome six months..

The plan as of now, is 4/01/08 stepping off from Springer Mountain, North Bound...

In the mean time I will keep up my research and planning....and the awsome trips along the trail...!!!!

One Life~
    One World~
    One Hike~
    One Love~

8. free2fly

free2fly Members

I guess my point is ... why does it have to be a female, at all? If you just want a hiking companion it could be anyone experienced in hiking, plenty of guys are around here who are experienced hikers...... seems like someone wanting to go hiking would be happy to have some hiking buddies along male or female.....

But thats not the case right?

So ... why not just simply say your hoping to have someone to be romantically involved with along the trail? Cuz thats basically what it looks like its saying, and if thats the case...... then why dont u just search for a girlfriend thats into hiking, and then go from there? ... or maybe a girlfriend isnt what your seeking, so then maybe its just a 6 month f*** buddy thing? ....

Im sorry, Im sounding critical I know... but please dont take this the wrong way. Im not trying to pick on you :) Im just wondering. And of course your free to search any way you like ... lol ... its just that this isnt the first time Ive seen a guy post something like this.... Ive seen other guys posting very similar posts on here and digihitch and other places, and ... I guess it just seemed weird to me. The way it was worded in the first post.

"looking for a female to join me" ..... it just reminded me of a caveman!

... hehe, sorry.. I know... Im picking Im picking ...I'll shut up now! *ducks and hides*

9. Bumble

Bumble Senior Member

i hiked part of it in 2001. I would love to do the whole thing. I met the craziest people along that trail.

10. SLammon420

SLammon420 Senior Member

Well, I mean you can't blame the guy for wanting to have a little sex over 6 months of being in the woods.

This thread has inspired me to look into the AT and I bought a book called "Long Distance Hiking-Lessons from the Appalachian Trail". I really would love to do a thru-hike when I'm older.

11. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

My '98 thru hike of the Appalachian Trail was one of the moset wonderful experiences of my entire life. You'll have a great time hiking and you'll met and get to know some the most wonderful people ever. Best of all you come out truely knowing yourself.
    The Northern Terminus of the Appalachian Trail is at a windworn, weatherbeaten sign atop Baxter Peak on Mt. Katahdin in Maine.
    You could take all the drugs you've ever done and all the times you been high,tripping,rolling etc. and it won't even come close to the feeling you get when you kiss that sign at the end of your first thru hike.

Here's some great hiker related websites.

www.whiteblaze.net
    www.trailjournals.com

for great deals on gear: www.campmor.com

If ya wanna talk trail or would like advice on planning a hike gimme a holler.

BooBoo

12. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

[​IMG]

The end of the Trail Oct.13 1998

Yes we hikers are a bit insane. Ya do met wonderful folks out there. Did you ever met this one hiker named Baltimore Jack that sipped Jim Beam and chained smoked all day while hiking?

My hiker friends Jester ('00) and Tricks live in Philly as do my friends and fellow Hipforum members Personface and Dirtybongwater.

13. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

I'm planning a jump off at Springer around March 15th, 2008. Most reading I've done on the subject says hiking partners simply don't work unless you train together and have the same pace/gait. And that supposes that one suffers no injuries/illnesses.

I'll be doing section hikes both north and south of Harper's Ferry until 03/08. Hope to see some of you there.

14. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

I hiked with my older brother Yogi who is bigger and taller so he was faster than me at the begining. Sometimes we would hike near eachother than other times we would hike separately but would plan to met at certain places throughout the day. Yogi and I are among the few sibilings that have hiked the whole Trail together.

More than a few couples met and "hook up" on the trail. I know more than a few couples that are still together and some have even gotten married.

Remember: If you hike with your significant other one of two things will happen.

1. You'll split up and end up hating eachother
    2. You'll form a close bond that will never be broken.

The Trail will make or break a realtionship,Ive seen it happen many times.

15. George

George Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

buble i want you ;-) and dudet freefly, every guy who was born with a penis wants a girl romancer to hike with because then he can really take in all the sites if he knows the "find a girl" issue is resolved for the moment. Takes a strong man not to have a desire while alone hiking cause what's always been the mans role in life? (find woman) not (be found by woman) but (find woman) yep. No woman around means "fairly constant" (find woman) state of mind and that just ruins a trip. If only we could be the ones to sit back and wait to be found by you girls then every guy with a penis would have climbed all the mountains he wanted to and'd be sit'n with a beer in his hand down on some carribean beach strum'n the guitar he learned to play because of all his free (nonfindwoman) time take'n nap after nap only waking when his beer dried up or the fishing line he's sitting next to went zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. hope that clears things up for you, we've talked before eheh ;-)
    later

16. free2fly

free2fly Members

lol ... well ... thats totally understandable, which is why I said find a damn woman who loves hiking .... but if he just wanted one for the trip, well that would be kind of shitty, but thats just my opinion ...... :)

17. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Find your happiness being single and then your more likely to find a good woman. I'd concentrate on planning your hike and enjoying each day while hiking and perhaps you may just might find the woman of your dreams out on the AT.

Remember there's no such thing as a bad say on the Trail. Some days are just better than others.

18. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

I plan on hiking the AP by 2008 at the latest. I still might try this year. I have been camping and hiking since I was a kid but I have never gone on a long term hike (for months) and I am looking forward to the challenge.

However, I do see where you are coming from. I think a long distance hike would be kind of lonely without having friends with you to share in the experience.

I am going to try and get a group of people together for the trip.

19. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

You'll met plenty of wonderful people out there on the AT. The Hiking Community is kinda like a subculture complete with its own terms, jargon, etc.

ie. " I pulled a 25 from Siler Bald to NOC in one day then took 5 zeroes and yellowblazed to Fontana Dam to get my drop for the Smokies."

20. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

AT98BooBoo
    How difficult is the AT? I have visited a bunch of forums on the topic and there seems to be a lot of differing opinions on the issue. Some say it is a piece of cake. While others describe it as deceptively difficult. They say, people think the AT is easy because everything is well marked, there are lots of towns to stop at and re supply, and the trail has structures to sleep in. However, some claim that parts of the trail were near impossible to get through.

On another topic:

Do you know where I can get some good free maps of the AT? Lots of web sites sell maps, but I have not found any free maps yet.