anyone...?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by schatzi, May 15, 2004.

1. schatzi

schatzi Member

Anyone ever been to Austria? If not, you should. It's gorgeous there.

~C

2. Penny

Penny Supermoderaginaire

Never been there but I believe that it is gorgeous -

3. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I always wanted to go, but we couldn't afford it. But now my mom is taking my sister to Paris for two weeks. I think she was just lying to me because she's cheap and she hates me... :)

But I'm the one picking out the nursing home.....

4. schatzi

schatzi Member

lol, you should all go and visit me there. yay!

5. borut16

borut16 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

where are you from in Austria? :) I've been there like 5,6 times already, coz we live so close to Austria(ever been to Slovenia??;))! It's quite nice there even though it looks a lot like Austria here in my town(i live close to Alps) and the part of Slovenia I'm living in was under Habsburg(spelling?) empire for hundreds of years. Hhee but it indeed is a nice country, Austria.

6. acid*rain~bow

acid*rain~bow Member

i live (t)here. and i just feel......................alienated.

of course the nature is great...in every part of the world where it still exists and i love the rocks and trees and meadows in the places i grew up...and i love my friends, the many faces i have met...
    but apart from personal experience & nature i really don´t see much that keeps me here. i just sense other places have much more to offer for me and that i can develop other/bigger parts of my personality much better there..my parents are from different countries and although i was even born here, i never considered myself austrian..not that that would be important but i never felt like..i BELONGED? here..i´ll leave the country as soon as possible.​

(but please remember..this is just a VERY personal/subjective point of view...i know many people will disagree with me and i also understand why..it´s not meant to spoil the opinions you have about it)

7. Flowerian

Flowerian Senior Member

Well, nice country, lots of Germans spend their holidays in the mountains there, the Austrians have a very funny accent and way of life (Nicht böse sein, liebe Ösis :D), but AUstria isn't THAT wonderful :confused:

8. schatzi

schatzi Member

A lot of Austrians feel that way. That they just want to leave. I live/grew up in a big city (DC) and I go back to Austria every summer. Trust me, it's a lot nicer there. The people are so much more friendly there than they are here. I think if you leave Austria you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Flowerian or whatever your name is, I'm guessing you're German, by the pure arrogance of your words. I'd never say something like that about anyother person's country. Especially to someone from that country.

~C

9. Flowerchild

Flowerchild Member

I think Austria is a beautiful country and I love going there, summer or winter! Flowerian, I think we as Germans should be very grateful for Austria being there since a lot of Germans go there every winter like you said and leave our trash there, get drunk, behave horribly, just behave like pigs. To the accent: I love Austrian accent, I think it sounds really, really cute and it always reminds me of home since I'm from bavaria. I don't agree that Austrians have a funny way of life, I think it's the same way of life Germans have, whether funny or not - it is both arguable.
    Schatzi, I think it's mean to say "I'm guessing you're German, by the pure arrogance of your words" because I don't think Germans are particularly arrogant. Maybe it is because I am German, I don't know, but there are arrogant people in every country and I don't think one should be prejudiced against any country's people because living in a certain country doesn't make you a certain way!
    I just wanted to express my opinion about this because I felt sad that Flowerian makes people think that way about my country and I wanted to defend it because I know Germany "isn't THAT wonderful" but it's still pretty nice there!

10. Flowerchild

Flowerchild Member

P.S.: Sorry for using "I think" so often!! :)

11. moominmamma

moominmamma Member

I have never been to Austria, but a good friend of mine , a German woman living rather unhappily in England, is hopefully moving to Gratz(hope I spelled that right) this year. Can't wait, at last I will have a friend to visit in Europe!

12. Flowerian

Flowerian Senior Member

Hey hey hey, calm down a little everybody, OK? ;) There's been a LITTLE irony in my words for those of didn't find it... I didn't want to hurt anyones national feelings, OK? :)

13. borut16

that's quite close to me, you've spelt it right! Many Slovenes live there, but the Haider's under command(he's horrible:S) there

14. skywhirl

skywhirl Member

Hey Flowerian!
    Wanna fight, wanna fight? ggggrrrr......hehe;) (growl from my friend Timberwolf as well by the way!!)
    I'm from Austria! Bin in Niederoesterreich und Wien aufgewachsen. Lebe jetzt aber in Quebec, Canada. Ich gehe auch alle paar Jahre zurueck, meine Familie lebt schliesslich noch dort....
    So Schatzi, what are you up to? What brought you to the States?

15. moominmamma

moominmamma Member

16. migle

migle Senior Member

I don' know it very well, but Haider is someone like the gobernor of one part of Austria, he is ultra nacionalist, for me he's a nazi, but i don't know the very actual situation there in that part of Austria.
    Explain to us borut, or the Austrian people if you know all this better could explain the politic situation now in Austria.

17. Timberwolf

Timberwolf Member

Haider is the leader of the Freedom Party of Austria, the (FPO) had actually resigned, but is back and popular again. It's very sad, cauz he is pro-nazi and very big on anti-semitism. He was governor of Carinthia, resigned there too, but is back since March 7, I think.

18. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Ooh, I love Austria. :) I've been there many many times, mostly in the Alps tho. It's such a beautiful country. And snowboarding in the Alps... now that's what I call HEAVEN. :D

19. borut16

Yea...like for example; quite few Slovenes live there(first slovene country; around year 900 or something was there) and they wanted these two-language schools and signs(like names of towns JUST in that part of Austria) to be in German and Slovene language but he doesn't agree 'cause of some reason.
    Nazi, in my opinion.

20. Flowerian

Flowerian Senior Member

Well, I wouldn't say Haider is a Nazi... he's an ultra right poltician but Nazi is too strong. At the moment, he doesn't have very much to say in politics