Anyone watch silent movies?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Kandahar, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Kandahar

Kandahar Banned

Does anyone here enjoy the old silent movies from the 1910s and 1920s? I've only seen a few, but I love them. I've seen Nosferatu, Phantom of the Opera, and The Birth of a Nation and think that they're all terrific. Does anyone have any silent movie recommendations?

2. syd

syd Banned

I dont watch silent movies, but i did see Mel brook's Silent Movie, that was good.

3. Skelter

Skelter Helter

yes i love silent movies, i've got these on dvd:

The Gold Rush
    City Lights
    The Birth Of A Nation
    The Cabinet Of Dr.Caligari
    Nosferatu
    The Phantom Of The Opera
    Battleship Potemkin
    Metropolis
    The Last Laugh
    Sunrise
    The Golem
    + A couple of Buster Keaton Dvds

you might want check out this list: http://www.silentera.com/info/top100.html

4. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

Just Nosferatu... But its awsome

5. m6m

m6m Member

I've seen all of the great Charlie Chaplin's films.

There is a humanity in his films that is as rare as moon-dust.

Starring while also directing these films without any written script, rather creating the story as you film it. That's spontaneous genius!

That's Picasso on celluloid.

6. famousblueraincoat

famousblueraincoat Member

as i have said somewhere here before, i see all kinds of movies. ;)

start with the really old 1/2/3/ mins of the early period 1895-1910 - films of the Lumieres and all. then go on to watch some of George Melies's films. they are awesome. they were also prodused round about the 1896/97 timeline. and... they are in colour, i mean they manually coloured the entire film stalk! next ... someone here has posted a really nice list of movies to start with. but i'd have to add a few must-views :

1. some of the earliest films of the Lumiere brothers, George Melies, R.W. Paul and so on.
    2. The Passion of Joan of Arc - Carl Dreyer, amazing film - Gaudard quotes this brilliantly in Vivre Sa Vie.
    3. Strike - Sergei Eisenstein (apart from Battleship Potemkin of course) - Eisenstein was a god!
    4. The Man With the Movie Camera - Dziga Vertov; talk of experimentation, see what the legend achieved in the 20s only.
    5. Raja Harishchandra - Dadasaheb Phalke; this is how it all started in India.
    6. probably all the Chaplin shorts.
    7. Broken Blossoms, The Lone Dale Operator, Intolerance - D.W. Griffith (apart from The Birth of a Nation) - you'll see the rudiments of the classical 30s-50s Westerns emerging in Griffith, esp. The Lone Dale Operator; and more generally, classical Hollywood realism taking shape.
    8. i think someone has already mentioned The Cabinet of Dr. Calligari and Nosferatu, brilliant films both of them.

so i think these should be good enuff for starters... tho' getting hold of a lot of them can be a prob. our university film studies dept. has a huge archive, so i manage to get hold of practically everything. but especially the early films are rare...

7. Acorn

Acorn Member

i bought a super cheap dvd with like 6 charlie chaplin movies. quite cool. i like the music on them too.

8. Ole_Goat

Ole_Goat Member

"The General" by Buster Keaton (1926)
    "Steamboat Bill Jr."by Buster Keaton (1928) - if only for the front of the house falling around him during the hurricane scene.

"Modern Times" by Charlie Chaplin (1936)
    All of Laurel and Hardy Shorts

9. Skelter

Skelter Helter

I have a lot of trouble finding silent movies. I have to order them from the internet. Some movies are only released in the US or aren't released at all.

10. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I've watched a couple... they're pretty good actually... silent and black/white films are so great...

11. purplemoonbeams

purplemoonbeams Member

I love silent movies! Silents, and early comedies such as the Marx Brothers, Charlie Chaplin, aka the good stuff!