Anyone remember HBO's Oz?

Discussion in 'TV Dramas' started by Sinead 1965, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

OZ is one of the best shows ever put out. I watched it when it originally aired.There just wasn't anything on TV like it. Loved it. It was sad that after a while The Sopranos (another great show) got the lions share off the attention and Oz was treated like a red headed stepchild. Oz was brilliant drama though. Oz was HBO's very first ongoing show I think.

I think the public could grasp onto the concept of the Sopranos more easliy, due to all the gangster movies it took inspiration from(Goodfellas mainly of course, Scorsese being in the pilot ep, as well as casting Spider). A lot of the time when I would ask people if they watched Oz I would get mad looks from them, like, 'why would i want to watch a show about a bunch of guys getting bummed in prison and stabbed in prison while getting bummed and stabbed in prison?'
    But when you found someone who actually watched the show, they would be like, 'Yeah!' and you would immediately get into a really good conversation with them, even if they were people you had only just met. Because it was like being part of some secret club. This was due to the nature of the show, a lot of people not liking to watch such brutal characters or situations. I wish there would be more OZ fans in here, the show was amazing in its time (still is great tbh )

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

yes

and im reminded of it during commercials when i see the gay nazi guy selling insurance for farmers

and that brother guy ryan oreily ,,,also selling insurance

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

creepy network is creepy..

[​IMG]

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

lol meloni

i forgot about him...probably why i dont watch law and order

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

law and order is obsessed with rape.. makes me wonder wtf if going on inside that creepo network..

6. Sinead 1965

Sinead 1965 Members

All the characters were unique and great, I loved Toby Beecher's development! Schillinger was an interesting character: he was unrepentently evil, but his was a structured, orderly evil that was easy for the viewer to relate to. He wasn't some unpredictable psycho serial killer cannibal that would suddenly bite out your eye for no reason; it's as if he was the CEO of his own company, admittedly a company that was basically Nazi skinheads. It was interesting to see Schillinger finally get his. But even he wasn't a totally black and white character. I felt some sympathy for him when his sons died. Its that path to redemption many of the characters were on. He was on it at some point too but like so many characters on Oz he didn't stay on it. He tried to bury the hatched with Beecher but in the end in a ironic twist they didn't get to move on and it wasn't their fault. But maybe in a way it was. Everything that they did before put them on that path.