Anyone into making Asian food?

Discussion in 'Munchie Recipes' started by Mui, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Mui

Mui Senior Member

Its kinda a hobby of mine to cook pretty elaborate asian food recipes.. anyone else been trying to cook things like this??

So far I can make a damn good General Tso's Chicken... sweet and sour chicken... beef & brocolli, spicy chicken sticky rice balls... szechuan chicken.. cashew chicken...

today I'm making me some vegetable spring rolls w/ some vietnamese dipping sauce and sticky rice... Cant wait till it's done...

I make sticky rice like a mutha... it is the best rice ever to grace my mouth. :D

2. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

i like trying new recipes...asian or anything else.....there's just something so satisfying about making something really complicated and having it come out DELICIOUS.....

.....i nearly drooled all over my screen when i read what you were making tonight....i LOVE spring rolls....and sticky rice.....

have you ever tried making your own sushi?

3. Mui

Mui Senior Member

Nope, i dont really care for shushi really, i tried it once and the seaweed flavor just kind of got to me. It'd probably be better if I made it myself i'de imagine though.

4. scarlettchasingroses

ever make steamed dumplings? or pad thai?

.....mmm....i love steamed dumplings......and pad thai, when made correctly of course.....

5. Mui

Mui Senior Member

mm ive never made em but i love pad thai too... maybe someday ;)

6. scarlettchasingroses

this is the best recipe i've come across for pad thai....it comes from america's test kitchen, which is a GREAT cooking show on pbs.....

2 tablespoons tamarind paste or substitute
    ¾ cup boiling water
    3 tablespoons fish sauce
    1 tablespoon rice vinegar
    3 tablespoons sugar
    ¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    4 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
    8 ounces dried rice stick noodles, about 1/8 inch wide (the width of linguine)
    2 large eggs
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    12 ounces medium (31/35 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined, if desired
    3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 tablespoon)
    1 medium shallot, minced (about 3 tablespoons)
    2 tablespoons dried shrimp, chopped fine (optional)
    2 tablespoons chopped Thai salted preserved radish (optional)
    6 tablespoons chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
    3 cups (6 ounces) bean sprouts
    5 medium scallions, green parts only, sliced thin on a sharp diagonal
    ¼ cup loosely packed cilantro leaves (optional)
    Lime wedges

1. Rehydrate the tamarind paste in boiling water. Stir the fish sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, cayenne, and 2 tablespoons oil into the tamarind liquid and set aside.

2. Cover the rice sticks with hot tap water in a large bowl; soak until softened, pliable, and limp but not fully tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the noodles and set aside. Beat the eggs and 1/8 teaspoon of the salt in a small bowl; set aside.

3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch skillet (preferably nonstick) over high heat until just beginning to smoke. Add the shrimp and sprinkle with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook, tossing occasionally, until the shrimp are opaque and browned about the edges, about 3 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a plate and set aside.

4. Off heat, add the remaining tablespoon oil to the skillet and swirl to coat; add the garlic and shallot, set the skillet over medium heat, and cook, stirring constantly, until light golden brown, about 1½ minutes; add the eggs to the skillet and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until scrambled and barely moist, about 20 seconds. Add the noodles and the dried shrimp and salted radish (if using) to the eggs; toss with 2 wooden spoons to combine. Pour the fish sauce mixture over the noodles, increase the heat to high, and cook, tossing constantly, until the noodles are evenly coated. Scatter ¼ cup peanuts, bean sprouts, all but ¼ cup scallions, and cooked shrimp over the noodles; continue to cook, tossing constantly, until the noodles are tender, about 2½ minutes (if not yet tender add 2 tablespoons water to the skillet and continue to cook until tender).

5. Transfer the noodles to a serving platter, sprinkle with the remaining scallions, 2 tablespoons peanuts, and cilantro; serve immediately, passing lime wedges separately.

7. Mui

Mui Senior Member

Yeah that sounds really good :D

8. scarlettchasingroses

care to share your recipe for sticky rice? or spring rolls?

9. scarlettchasingroses

or any recipes?.....if you don't want to post them in here....you could always pm them to me......

.....or are you one of those cooks who doesn't want to share recipes?

10. Mui

Mui Senior Member

Certainly... there is no recipe for sticky rice, unless you want the crazy ish.. sticky rice is a type of rice (glutinous rice)... some sticky rice is black (or more purplish) and it tastes better... sticky rice needs to be steamed instead of boiled.. you basically get the rice, wash it, soak it, and cook it...

let me getcha the spring roll recipe. :D

Chinese Crispy Spring Rolls :D
    makes about 40!
    you can replace mushrooms with chicken or pork... and substitute shrimp for the carrots, if you like.

Ingredients
    1 cup bean sprouts
    1 bunch scallions
    2 carrots
    2/3 cup bamboo shoots, sliced
    1 1/2 cup white mushrooms
    3-4 tblspns vegetable oil
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp light brown sugar
    1 tablespoon light soy sauce
    1 tablespoon chinese rice wine or dry sherry
    about 40 spring roll wrappers
    1 tablespoon cornstarch paste
    flour, for dusting
    oil, for deep frying
    soy sauce, if desired! (Spring rolls taste a whole lot better with sweet and sour sauce or a sweet chili sauce...)

1. Cut all the vetables into thin shreds, roughly the same size and shape as the bean sprouts

2. Heat the oil in a wok(or whatever) and stir fry the vegetables for about 1 minute. Add the salt, sugar, soy sauce, and rice wine or sherry and stir fry for 1 1/2-2 minutes. Remove and drain the excess liquid, then let cool.

3. To make the spring rolls, cut each wrapper in half diagonally, then place about tablespoon of the vegetable mixture one-third of the way down on the wrapper, with the triangle pointing away from you.

4. Lift the lower flap over the filling and roll it up once

5. Fold in both ends and roll once more, then brush the upper edge with a little cornstarch paste and roll into a neat package. Lightly dust a baking sheet with flour and place the spring rolls on the baking sheet with the flap side down.

6. To cook, heat the oil in a wok until hot, then reduce the heat to low. Deep fry the spring rolls in batches (about 8-10 at a time) for 2 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp, then remove and drain. Serve the spring rolls hot with soy sauce, if desired. (or use the vietnamese dipping sauce ^^)

Vietnamese Dipping Sauce

ingredients
    1-2 small fresh red chilies, seeded and finely chopped
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1 tablespoon roasted peanuts
    4 tablespoon coconut milk
    2 tablespoons fish sauce
    juice of 1 lime
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro

1. pound the chili or chilies with the garlic in a mortar with a pestle.

2. add the peanuts and pound until crushed. Add the coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and cilantro. Mix well. Enjoy ;)

11. Mui

Mui Senior Member

And I always love spreading the gospel of sticky rice... I have the cooking set listed on this website im about to give you.. also has directions to make sticky rice and basically tells you what its all about.

http://importfood.com/stickyrice.html

12. Mui

Mui Senior Member

if you try any of this, tell me how it turns out.
    :D

13. scarlettchasingroses

oooo....thank you for the recipe.....

....knew about sticky rice....just wondered if you had any special tricks.....

14. scarlettchasingroses

i will definetly let you know how things turn out....

just today i found an AMAZING grocery store with an AMAZING selection of asian food and ethnic food in general.....i fell in love with the grocery store...hehe.....

15. Mui

Mui Senior Member

Maybe ill post the chicken sticky rice ball recipe... mm.

16. scarlettchasingroses

you are making me rather hungry over here......

17. Mui

Mui Senior Member

im really hungry too... and the worst part is I have to wait another hour before I can start wrapping the spring rolls... we dont have the bean sprouts or bamboo shoots right now... waiting for my dad to come home w/ the car so I can pick some up ! :D

18. Mui

Mui Senior Member

the spring rolls were pretty good, my only complaint is that they were a little too greasy, perhaps i should have waited longer before eating them... i think they will be better once i reheat them... as for the vietnamese sauce, its pretty good... but ide recommend a little less lime.

19. scarlettchasingroses

they probably will be better once you reheat them....things only get better once the flavors meld together as well....

i'll have to try the dipping sauce....

20. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Most of what I make is Asian food

pulled pork gua bao
    [​IMG]

Thai inspired green curry chicken with vegetables
    [​IMG]

yakiniku udon
    [​IMG]

karaage
    [​IMG]

mapo tofu before I really got the hang of it (forget the Japanese inspired miso version. you got to take this dish to its Schizuan roots)
    [​IMG]

A simple Japanese breakfast with rice, natto, negi, and an egg
    [​IMG]

Teriyaki seasame salmon with miso soup, rice and gyoza
    [​IMG]

A really horrible picture of tonkatsu
    [​IMG]

Yakisoba with salmon
    [​IMG]

Tororo soba back when I had my cheap phone with a horrible camera
    [​IMG]