Anyone good at desserts?? I need advice!

Discussion in 'Food Allergies' started by sea of grass, Feb 3, 2008.

1. sea of grass

sea of grass Member

So, I've been wanting to create some kind of cheesecake-like cake that's free of dairy or soy, something kind of custardy and creamy...I was thinking maybe coconut cream mixed with rice milk or something of that nature (with spices like cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg, or swirled with fruit jam or something like that), kind of made into a "custard" type thing and held together with fruit pectin? I'm not sure where to even begin...usually I'm really good at coming up with recipes on-the-fly, but this one is challenging...I wanted to pick the HipForum-ers' brains and see if anyone has worked with pectin (not gelatin...my intent is for my Jewish roomie to be able to eat this as well, and gelatin ain't Kosher) and has some advice with how to make it jell, or how it works...I'm for once at kind of a loss...

2. SucculentFlower

SucculentFlower earthfirst!

hey well agar is a sea weed "gelatin" that is animal free and is very firm/solid.

I make something very similar to what you are talking about, but it doesn't have that cheese cake thing going on, it's more like a custard or a gelatin. It a recipe that dates be to the middle ages and has modified through time as ingredients have been discovered. THis was called "blanc mange" as white foods back then were really rare. Now it's evolved into vanilla pudding. But I make it like this:

1 of those aseptic containers of almond milk, or hazelnut milk, or rice milk anything that suits your fancy.

a package of powdered agar prepared to package directions. Usually its about 1/2 cup of this water/agar mixture to the container of nut milk

Mix in all your lovely ingredients you've though about, I like adding a mixture of chopped nuts, and dried fruit (cranberries) flaked coconut.

Set in fridge til firm

Optional second part ( I did this by accident once as I didn't add enough agar and it set loosely)

1 can of coconut milk mixed with 1/2 agar/water mixture, add flaked coconut, set to a semi-thickened sauce, serve over solid blanc mange.

We love this recipe but it's not as heavy as cheese cake.

I've made a tofu/silken cheese cake with agar, added a little lemon juice and used a sunflower seed crust. But I don't have that recipe anymore.

3. Nivekian

Nivekian Member

This may sound odd...
    Avocado!
    Though it'll only work if you make it chocolate. I made a chocolate avocado moose crepe cake with mango and strawberry. It set really nice, firm and silky at the same time. It's easy to make too, just add chocolate powder until it doesn't taste like avocado.

---------------- Now playing: Lycia - You Can Never Go Home Again via FoxyTunes

4. SucculentFlower

SucculentFlower earthfirst!

**Hey well I have made chocolate/avocado pies, and they are yummy. I make 'em with a chocolate cookie crumb crust, one can use a nut meat crust.

My new thing: tapioca & coconut milk parfaits with fresh fruit & honey. Easy, cool & fresh!