Anyone else old enough to remember Michael Bentine ???

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Vladimir Illich, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

2. Bicaptain My Captain

Bicaptain My Captain Members

3. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Just about.

4. Vladimir Illich

Alright, lets try something a little more simple - who else remembers Shirley ???

The8thdwarfe likes this.
  5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'm old enough to remember when there was someone named vladimere illich, who was actually famous for something, i think he was some kind of piano player,
    or was it violin, i think he was some kind of composer too. i don't mean he lived at the same time as me. didn't he compose something called the rite of spring?
    i think that was one of the segments in disney's fantasia. or am i getting him mixed up with some russian politician. no i think he was the music guy.

when i was in the second grade, i guess that would have made me, i guess seven years old, we had a neighbor named shirley august.
    she was very pretty and frequently wore very little.

i would imagine people from different parts of the world might have better memories for different celebraties.
    i remember captain cangaroo, william sears, fred rogers, and a different rogers, ginger rogers, i even remember the andrews sisters were still alive.
    and so was benny goodman, and satchmo, and all four of the rat pack, arlo of course, and arlo's dad, woodie and the travilling willberries.

cucla, fran and ollie? but after i got into science fiction in the 80s, i sort of stopped paying very much attention to entertainers who weren't writers,
    other then relatively unheard of filkers, like cyntia mcquillan and jordan kare.

6. Vladimir Illich

Seems your memory is failing matey, Igor Stravinsky wrote 'The Rite of Spring' !!!

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Never heard of her.

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i do get them mixed up, i know tchicoski wrote something, and yah, i don't remember how to spell any of them either.

9. Barry Thrift

Barry Thrift Members

I remember him doing an act with the back of a chair, it was brilliant and would love to see it again.

You try it, I think I his lasted around 10 to15 minutes.

And he was part of The Goons, The Goons can be found on You Tube.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  10. Bicaptain My Captain

Bicaptain My Captain Members

I don't remember either one of them. Putting my brain back to 1963 (I was 17) I can see how the Bentine clip was entertaining. I think Themnax's recollections might be an LSD flashback. Wasn't Vlad's last name Lenin? As I recall, he had something to do with Russia.

11. Barry Thrift

Barry Thrift Members

Vladimir Lenin was a Russian communist revolutionary, his tomb is a bit famous and is in Red Square.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

verrry silly me, having a major senior brain fart.