anybody experienced at installing flooring?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by hummblebee, Jul 4, 2006.

1. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

That is why I chose laminate wood flooring, just snaps together floats over a pad, looks nice and if there is ever any damage, just pull it up and insert new piece, lol :D

2. HippyLandscaper

HippyLandscaper learning a new way

Pretty much, you can get it as a powder, then just mix it with water, and it would work for your srew holes and everything. You want to add the water a little at a time, so as to not make it too runny cause then it is really hard to work with.

3. kissya

kissya Head Mistress

Cool, I will be going through Nashville later in July .....for vacation...to St. Louis.

4. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Okay, I'll finish scrubbing then, and hit home depot when bf gets home fro work! Thanks again, all!

5. HippyLandscaper

Not a problem, happy to help

6. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Okay, I've got another question for you geniuses! ;)
    The residue of the paper-ish layer under the linoleum is hard to get off! it doesn't want to just scrape of with the tool I have (and I really don't have much for tools, or money!), but random chunks are coming up in different places. and where I try to scrub where it seems firmly placed, it's just coming up in wet wormy pieces. It's like trying to scrub through a thick layer of construction paper. Is there any cleaning agent or anything that would help get this stuff up easier?

7. HippyLandscaper

Hydrochloric acid will take that stuff right up. Just kidding. If you have a heat gun, or a hair dryer, you could try heating it up and scraping it off

8. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

If anyone's still listening or available, I have another question!

I'm filling in the cracks just fine, it seems (due to appliances/lack of space, I'm doing half first, then I'll move everything and do the other half - since tile was down before I know how it'll all fit already)- and it's coming out quite level. The biggest problem I forsee now is that I never was able to get all the paper-ish residue off the wood. I'm concerned that the self-adhesive tile won't stick uniforlmly to the three surfaces I have: wood, paper, and floor prep/leveler.

It occured to me that I have some extra wall paint leftover. I was thinking it might work better if I put a coat of that down between the leveler and tile. In my mind, it seems like it would be a somewhat "cleaner" surface, and stick better, but I can't find anything anywhere about affixing the tile to paint. Will it stick allright, or is there something about wall paint that would make that a bad idea?

It's just a regular medium-grade wall paint, from Wal-Mart.

Thanks again for all the help!

9. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

would be better off getting contact cement, spread on the floor then spread on back of tile and let set for a bit then stick, shit will be there forever.

10. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

I can't afford it, though... Even getting re-imbursed out of rent (don't even get me started on that one, I might have to talk the landlord into re-imbursing me for my time too - we're so hopelessly broke right now...) We just don't have any cash for anything else. I was hoping to be able to manage with the supplies I got last night... :(

11. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

okay you got the peel and stick 1x1 squares then right??

12. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

13. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

would not waste the paint, just put it down, if it peels up later then you can just stick it back down. Im sure it whoud be fine no matter what but the nice part about those peel and sticks is a can of spray adhesive will fix it quick.

14. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

Hey, good idea! Thanks, you rock! :)

15. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

too kind but anytime.

16. Tree-Hugger

Tree-Hugger The Chainsaw

I've put those sticky vinyl tiles down before. They stick better if you go ahead and buy the linoleum (sp?) glue and put it on the tiles with a tiny paint roller. If the seams don't match up you can fill them with caulking that way you know that when you mop the floor they won't peel up.

I've put down all kinds of floors and helped to build a subfloor. Basically I've done it all.