Anybody ever eat Wild Garlic?

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by Tsurugi_Oni, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Tsurugi_Oni

Tsurugi_Oni Member

Today me and my mom foraged wild garlic in the Metroparks near Cleveland,Ohio. Anybody else here ever forage it?

My mom is a Korean hillbilly and has been gettin the stuff since she was a little kid, but I'm always wary about eating wild foods. This plant literally carpets the forest floors, and grows in patches. Each "unit" has two leaves, the bulb being held together by a fibrous slimy material. Smells a little green onions/garlic, and when you bite it you get an extreme burn for a couple seconds.

Can anyone attest to this plant?

2. Holy Ancient Megumi

Holy Ancient Megumi Member

yah they are called Ramps in west virginia , ramps are the wild garlic of the hills they are potent and also yummy

3. PennadianGoose

PennadianGoose Member

Shes right we have them in PA also. Many people in my area collect these for consumption. I really like ramps as long as they are cooked. I like to stuff fresh trout with them and cook that over a fire. absolutely delicous

4. Tsurugi_Oni

Tsurugi_Oni Member

Wow that's a great idea with a trout. Do you just gut and stuff the fish, or do you do some type of fillet roll? And what seasonings?

5. Spirit Wynd

Spirit Wynd Member

Yeah man, also try a plant called, Garlic-mustard, which grows just about any place moist. One good sized leaf has the potency of a clove of regular garlic. It grows year round and can be used anytime, though its in season in the winter, which means more tender leaves, but no matter if cooked.

A note on wild onions, make sure each one you pick has a strong onion scent... if it has no scent, but looks like an onion, leave it alone!!!
    That is Death Camas, and will kill you.

6. WalkerInTheWoods

WalkerInTheWoods Member

Wild garlic/onions are good and I don't know why more don't eat them. They are usually there free for the taking in most people's yards. Chicory and dandelion greens are also good free eating.

7. Tsurugi_Oni

Tsurugi_Oni Member

Noo what I'm talking about is Wild Garlic. Each unit has only two leaves, and they're very broad. The bottom of it is usually whitish or a maroon color, and the bulbs are wrapped together by a thin weaved slimy fiber. They grow in clusters too.

8. Spirit Wynd

Spirit Wynd Member

Actually, the larger plants can have more than two sword like leaves called "blades". And yes, may also grow in clusters like the wild onion.

Also, make sure it has a strong garlic scent... it too has a very poisonous look-a-like called "Fly Poison", it looks almost the same except has a different flower head that grows in vertical clusters along the stem. It's so toxic, just touching it then touching your mouth after will make you sick.

Wild onion and wild garlic are great but please read up on the poisonous look-a-likes:
    Death Camas
    Fly Poison
    Star of Bethlehem

Safety first!!!

9. trippinwestoutahere

trippinwestoutahere Member

we have some here garlic in KY I looked them up and they were brought over from africa and planted here not native the property here has a lot of plants from there overgrowing the yard Wild Garlic
    Allium vineale[​IMG]
    Wild garlic is native to Europe, north Africa, and western Asia. Its bulbs are hard to eliminate, making infestations difficult to control.

10. Tinkertiger

Tinkertiger Member

wild garlic is excellent.
    both the bulb and the leaves can be eaten, either in salads or cooked with other foods or soups or made into a pesto.
    it's also got great health giving properties, possibly better than cultivated garlic many believe.
    the juice is a good antiseptic and the leaves have a higher concentration of allicin which is good for reducing blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
    good to eat and healthy for you too. :)

a lot regard it as a very invasive weed though, because it spreads like wildfire!!

11. Sehc

Sehc Members

The plant with wide leaves is Ramp. There is a wild garlic with thin leaves that is also very common.

12. humanbeaing

humanbeaing see you in paradise! HipForums Supporter

Lots of wild onions, but no wild garlic. Sounds good though

13. Varmint

Varmint Member

trippinwestoutahere wrote, in relevant part:
    "Its bulbs are hard to eliminate, making infestations difficult to control."

My reply:
    Interesting. My opinion is that the wild garlic/onion is the desired plant, while everything ELSE is the infestation. But that is only my opinion.

This plant makes a great addition to any fish you just caught, especially if mixed with some other wild greens such as nettle or dandelion. If you found more greens than fish, then make soup. A good meal, either way. Always take at least one of the little cloves off the bulb and re-plant it. They'll grow back and give you more for years. If the plant is flowering, leave it alone and allow the tiny bulblets to drop or replant them. We want to enjoy this, not exterminate it.

14. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Wild garlic was rampant in N WI and the UP...I still have garlic breath from eating it in 1969.