Any yoga suggestions?

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by Wrameses, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Wrameses

Wrameses Members

Any yoga suggestions for the morning? I’m trying to look for yoga that you can do right after you get out of bed.

2. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I think "Sun Salutations" are called that because they are intended as a morning practice. There's youtube videos showing you how to do them.

JonJRR88 and ~Zen~ like this.
  3. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

There was a time when that was my morning routine. I must get back to that now that there is space to do so here.

newbie-one likes this.
  4. JonJRR88

JonJRR88 Members

yes, Salutation to the Sun is recommended. But, I would not just "pop" out of bed. We can get into some odder positions while sleeping and contract certain muscle groups. Probably better to start with a nice warm shower. Warm up the muscles. Then hydrate with a glass of water. And then maybe go for a short walk, get the blood pumping a tiny bit, before going into the Yoga itself.

Also, while Yoga is wonderful, if you have certain injuries or muscular weaknesses, an asana that is generally great might not be indicated for you.

So, you know, go over your general health issues and if you have concerns, ask your regular doctor or a Holistic MD, if certain exercises are good for you.

Salutation to the Sun is basically a complete exercise form. In the West we tend to always strive for more, more, more. So, we take Yoga and try to do the most difficult positions possible.

This is pretty much the exact opposite of what Yoga is supposed to be. Those difficult postures have very specific purposes…for various illnesses, conditions, etc. They don’t necessarily have purpose outside of that.

Yoga is supposed to be done in a calm and relaxed mood. You can have a bit of strain, but pain is not supposed to be part of a session. That means you are pushing too hard and maybe even moving towards injury.

The entire idea is the health of the body and peace of mind.

~Zen~ likes this.
  5. JonJRR88

JonJRR88 Members

another early morning Yoga routine is very simple and related to general health and also specifically to colon health.

Very simply, drink a little lemon water.

from Yoga Journal...

Self-Care Tip: Drink Warm Lemon Water

"In Ayurveda, we are advised to start each day by drinking lukewarm lemon water, in order to stimulate the gastrointestinal tract and peristalsis."

(and lemon is also a liver cleanser). Simply one of the best things we can do for our body. I would recommend organic lemons if you can get them and some truly pure water, not just stuff out of the tap.

After drinking the lemon water, it is advised not to eat anything for a full hour.

~Zen~ likes this.
  6. ~Zen~

Much more sensible that gulping down some sugary orange juice from a tin.

Thank you for your wisdom... I need to get back into more yoga, now that I have almost recovered from that Omicron variant.

7. JonJRR88

JonJRR88 Members

OJ is fine. Even store bought stuff. Lemon water is better, but OJ has a similar effect. Milder, but similar. Maybe why that is why it has become part of the culture. That and, you know, the corporate machine pushing products from Florida and California, I guess.

I would be quite cautious about going into exercise work, just after recovering from Omicron or any COVID. I would go super slow for at least a month, making sure that
    you don't pick up any side effects from it.

COVID is pretty weird stuff and they are still a long way from figuring out all that it does to a body.

Biggest thing in recovery from anything, including COVID is huge volumes of sleep. 7 or 8 hours daily, every single day. That is your best shot at maximum recovery. Hydrate tons. Eat well. Do not diet. Let yourself eat a bit extra, grab some extra nutrients, protein...will help you recover and help to avoid some side effects.

~Zen~ likes this.
  8. ~Zen~

As an aside...
    I heard the last orange groves in California were cut down years ago... Orange county is urban sprawl now!

9. JonJRR88

JonJRR88 Members

figures, I guess...

I think the guys who founded McDonald's started out with a stand that sold fresh squeezed OJ...pretty sure....

10. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My favorites for morning are any of the number of Two Birds yoga videos. You'll find several on YouTube. I like the 60-minute ones, but there are some shorter ones as well. The Two Birds instructors and studio are in Australia, so expect narration with a corresponding accent.

Captain Scarlet likes this.
  11. Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet Lifetime Supporter

Your right about the accent . That is a deep one :)