Any Suggestions for a Beginner Mandolin Player?

Discussion in 'Performing Arts' started by wrine420, Jan 9, 2005.

1. wrine420

wrine420 Member

I am thinking about picking up the Mandolin once my first check of the year comes in. Does anyone have anyt sugesstions as to what to get or how to learn? I've played drums for a couple years, and I also have a djembe and some congos, but I really like the idea of playing mandolin, kinda seems like my style. Anyway, any and all tips would be appreciated.

BTW, this is the mandolin I am thinking about getting http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/510460/

2. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

The fenders are pretty good... Michael Kelly, Regal, and Kentucky are good bets too. Just look up chords and such on the internet or buy some chord/lesson books and noodle around on it... I picked up on it just from when I worked at a guitar shop for a few months apprenticing a tech and helping out here and there... I'd go into the acoustic room and mess with the banjos and mandolins if nobody needed help.

3. rainbowkid

rainbowkid Member

As far as I know the Mandolin chords are the same as a guitar but you play it backwards so it's as if you're right - handed and you're playing a left - handed guitar with the strings on th left - handed way. Sorry, if that doesn't make any sense that's just waht I've been told.

4. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Basically, it's just tuned upside down... kinda like a violin, I believe.