Any Plastic Bag Solutions?

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by frexprsn, Feb 1, 2005.

1. frexprsn

frexprsn Member

Hey guys and girls! I have a pantry full of plastic bags from the grocery store. Do anyone have any ideas of how to recycle them into a craft project. Please email or leave me a PM with your ideas. Thanks!

2. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

3. plainjanepatchwork

plainjanepatchwork Member

You can cut them up into strips then knit or crochet with them.

A good crafty project to keep you from getting those plastic bags in the first place is to buy canvas bags and decorate them. I always bring my own canvas bags to the store. I have about 10 of them so when I go grocery shopping I can fit the whole weeks worth of groceries in the bags. I like to decorate my canvas bags so when I get to the counter the checker knows they are my bags and that I am not buying them. Every once in a while the checker looks at me like I am strange. It is an easy thing to do to save tons of waste over your life time. Some stores even take a few cents off your purchase! In California they are considering taxing bags and charging the customer for them so save your pennies and the environment all in one :)

4. phishcourtney04

phishcourtney04 Member

the bags2riches website has some really awesome stuff on it--i'd love to learn how to recycle plastic bags and other scrap materials and make them into jewelry. i'd never even thought about it before...

5. barefoot hippie

barefoot hippie Member

well i dont know any crafty ways to recycle them but what i do is donate them to the salvation army cause they tend to need bags so giving them to a thrift store of charity that needs them is one idea
    ~peace

6. Acorn

Acorn Member

you can crochet a bag with them. if you dont know how to crochet maybe you can learn, it isnt too hard once you get the hang of it.

http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/bag%20cutting%20instructions.html
    that shows how to cut the bags into "yarn" and then click on the link at the bottom and it gives the directions to this cool bag made from the "yarn".
    [​IMG]

7. Shineoncrazydiamond

Shineoncrazydiamond Member

I remember when I was a kid I knew this 80 somethin year old lady who crochet'ed with plastic bags. She made a hat- and get this....a plastic bag holder! lol
    I thought it was clever.

8. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

You could always make pillows out of them.. using the plastic as stuffing.... Lots of cool big throw pillows aroung a room would be cool.... Or you could ... mmm i dont know what else...

9. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

10. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

that looks so cool.. i started last night cutting up my millions of millions of bags. i had my own cloth-net bags that someone stoled from me! and i hate getting more and more and more and more plastic bags to shove into the cabinet with the rest of them.
    i have enough i could probably make a few bags and possibly a hat.. hhmm..:p

11. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

ahhah my gramma makes hats like you guys are talking about.....but....she's really strange.. and the style she makes is just really horrible haha...she makes like gob hats with them.......

12. purplemoonbeams

purplemoonbeams Member

Outside of stores like Albertsons, they usually have bins just for plastic bags.
    When you're finished with all the plastic bags, go get a canvas bag for your shopping, that way, it'll last forever and is reusable.

13. Unkle_John

Unkle_John Member

my wife and I use our plastic bags (when we endup getting them) we use them in trash cans, reuse them during garage sales, hold alum cans for recycling, even cover the outside pipes with them in the wintertime.

14. tree

tree Member

Hi! You can also cut them into strips, connect them like you would for the crocheted bag and then braid them into rag rugs...or 'bag' rugs. These are especially good for putting outside to wipe your feet on.
    here is a link i found http://tn.essortment.com/crochetrugs_rzje.htm However, if that's hard to follow. Just look up rag rug directions and use your ball of 'plastic yarn' instead of rag scraps.
    Blessings,
    ~tree

15. HighBlueSkies

HighBlueSkies Member

I know this isn't a "crafty" solution:

I use my plastic bags from the grocery store for poop-scooping. I have two cats, each with their own litterbox. I poop-scoop daily, using one plastic bag a day to carry their waste from the litterbox to the trash bin outside. I also use them to carry my lunch to work, but those are brought back home to become poop receptacles =)

16. artful_dodger

artful_dodger Member

Semi-crafty: I bring mine to the ceramics studio at the local community college. They use them to store wet clay and half-finished projects.

17. jamaica

jamaica Member

i like the pillow idea

18. frexprsn

frexprsn Member

Thanks guys (and gals) for the overwhelming response! I went ahead and tried the 'pillow stuffing' idea, so I'll post the photo of my pillow as soon I replace the batteries in my digital camera. I have used plastic bags in trash cans, to wrap wet clay,and dispose of cat poop, but I can't wait to attempt crochet with plastic bags. Thanks again for all the ideas!