Any old Volker Park folks?

Discussion in 'Back to the Garden' started by hippiestead, Aug 23, 2005.

1. hippiestead

hippiestead Ms.Cinnamon

Kansas City, concerts every weekend, hippies packed in clear up the the art gallery; turned so many folks on, where'd they all go?

2. leftuncheckd

leftuncheckd Guest

Yes, those were the days. Remember the Sweetwater concert(s) pretty cool.
    And some good blues acts. Funny, I can't remember the names of the bands. Professor Sparks is about the only local name I remember, and I think he was from Topeka.

I would be curious about what happened to Dennis(Mother Love). The purveyor of the free music Volker Park Experience.

Tell me, when you attended, where you one of the up front group or the under the trees group or the main audience on the grass north of the fountain group?

Sad thing though, I came back to KC area in 2006 and could not find absolutely one old friend from back in those days. Most are dead, especially the heavier druggies. Maybe some just moved on or my search methods weren't ept enough, but I heard that many did die. And I was amazed that they were stoned to the last moment. (I gave most of that up by the end of the 70s.) Too bad.

But I had fun back then. I'm a full tilt Reincarnationist now, so I know I'll be back to relive those same good times again. Maybe next time I'll know to keep a little better track of old acquaintances...probably not...but I can hope.

Thanks for posting the "call out"

BTW I was one of wanderers of the Volker Park events. If you had known of me back then it may have been by the handle of "Big Mike'. I'm 6'8" tall. and mostly hung out over by the trees.

3. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator Super Moderator

Cinnamon Has Pasted Away

4. kate50

kate50 Guest

I was there from 1967-69. What a fabulous experience !!

Have looked around for those folks I knew to no avail. Papa Paul, Mama, Shorty, Dusty, Rabbit, Lora, Stan File, Julie Oliver, Patty Queen and then there was a meth addict known only as Pickle Man.....

The concerts were quite a show. I remember Sweetwater too...with a crazy flute soloist....

Awwww....those were the days......

5. kate50

kate50 Guest

Yeah, I remember Sweetwater......a funky flute....hung out everywhere.....trees, in front of Sunday's bands, and then there was a happening at dawn on the stairs of the Nelson Art Gallery involving a burnt out motorcycle.....anyone there ?

6. 15atvolker

15atvolker Members

I'm about 40 years late to find and to reply to this site. I was a 15 year old runaway and remember dearly some of those named above: plus Sunshine, Pluto, Rus Handy, who was my friend but later I understand was committed to an institution. I also remember Dusty , Pickle Man, who I spent long hours rapping with late at night at an all night diner on the plaza I can't remember, Mike the biker who I was told died in a motercycle accident, LaDonna, Tom and Gwen Cassidy (I was told Tom died of a drug overdose), Steve the song-writer, Greg the book writer, and many more. I lived there the summers of 68 and 69, or was it 67 and 68. I moved to the east coast

Those memories and people have long haunted me and I would love to find any of that tribe. Does anyone have information of the whereabouts or what became of any of these people.