Any Libertarians?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by KBlaze, May 20, 2004.

1. KBlaze

KBlaze Member

When I was regestering to vote last year, I wondered what party I'd choose. I looked at lp.org and saw the Libertarian party matched my views of freedom and such. I don't know too many other people in this party, and I'd like to know why, because, at least this is how I see it, they make the most sense. I'd think this would be the number 1 party in the U.S. We'd be a lot better off with libertarians in office and their policies being used than the failing ways of republicans and democrats. Chck em out and see what's up.

2. Atlas

Atlas Member

I'm a libertarian philosophically, but not politically. Unfortunately, they have no more chance than the greens do of making any impact on US policies. The two major parties are too well entrenched.

-Atlas

3. Mui

Mui Senior Member

libertarianism is dead.

4. KBlaze

KBlaze Member

nooooooooo

5. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

I'm with the Libertarians halfway, I totally agree with their social policies but disagree with their laissez-faire attitude towards business. That's why I'm more of a Green.

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I am a Libertarian in philosophical and political terms, but I am an independent voter.

7. thespeez

thespeez Member

Nice to see another Libertarian here! In case you didn't know, the national convention will be held in Atlanta during Memorial Day weekend when the nominations for president and national officers will take place. Unfortunately, I may not be able to attend.

You're right in that the Libertarians have excellent ideas for turning this country around. Unfortunately, because of media blackout, excessive ballot access laws and-until more recently-lackluster activism, Libertarians have had difficulty getting their message out.

A few of the problems include the following:
    Many party activists tend to be loners and don't go outside their own circles. They tend not to do outreach to potential prospects (or what I'll call 'real people').

Many in the party don't know how to how to communicate their ideas to the public. They feel that almost any message will get them the necessary publicity. While there have been exceptions, many campaigns in the past have been a bit disorganized. Many Libertarians pontificate and fail to address key problems in a clear, concise fashion. A good number are also not as well educated on certain affairs. An example is corporatism and/or corporate welfare, and how big government and big business tend to go hand-in-hand.

Fortunately, many of the aforementioned problems are now less true due in part to an influx of newer and better activists and candidates. Regardless, the media still tries to ignore us as much as possible.

Being a Marylander, I know little about the situation in California, but I'll provide you with some links that I hope will be of use. I hope you'll find a strong activist core near you. Good luck!
    http://www.ca.lp.org
    http://www.lp.org
    Libertarian Presidential candidates:
    http://www.garynolan.com
    http://www.russoforpresident.com
    http://www.badnarik.org

8. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

Like those who posted before me, I am a libertarian in terms of philosophy. There are some issues where I think that the Libertarian party misapplies that philosophy though.

There are also a few instances where a strict libertarian doctrine would not be practical, so in those cases I would tend to advocate a small local government solution rather than a massive one-size-fits-all federal one.

9. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

n, n, n, not the libertarian thing again, Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

10. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

Oh yeah, for all the new people, if you mention the 'L' word, Balbus goes into an apoplectic fit.

If you persist, he'll argue about you with it for 20 pages.

Consider yourself warned ;)

11. Mui

Mui Senior Member

makes me go into a fit too... damn capitalist swine... a libertarian is a person who has their head on straight...e xcept they are blind to the torture capitalism puts through the world....

thats my interpretation

PEACE and love and things similar to that..
    Mui

12. Professor Jumbo

Professor Jumbo Mr. Smarty Pants

The only reason that I am not a libertarian is that (despite what the party stands for in principle) the Libertarian party leadership has been taken over by a bunch of radical conservatives and would-be fascists.

13. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

Yes yes,

A libertarian is a person with no heart or compassion
    A communist is a person with a lousy grasp of history and human nature

14. Mui

Mui Senior Member

LMAO!!!!!!!

comeon boosh i thought u were smarter than that...

Who is to determine what is human nature? We are so far off from human nature, that its impossible to tellw hat human nature is... its people that claim they can tell what "human nature" is that really get on my nerves... and libertarians have lots of compassion, at least they arent the ultra conservative capitalist swine... but they are still capitalist swine... its a failure to see the horrible atrocities and human rights violations capitalism has caused the world...

and as a matter of fact boosh, i think im going to college to become a history teacher...

i know my history

15. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

LOL,
    If there is one thing I've learned in the last year or two, it's how to push your buttons Mui. :p

If you become a history major, please don't just stick to the PC version of history that is often taught in the classroom. I found it to be simply amazing how much history my professors didn't know, although I did have some pretty good arguments in the classroom.

16. KBlaze

KBlaze Member

What are the problems with capitalism? Like pure, no-government capitalism? (Not trying to start something, I'd actually like to know cuz I can't think of any) The best economic system, I think, would be some way where there is no money and no rich or poor, everyone just gets their share, but I don't know of anything like that. And I'm one of the most compassionate, thoughtful people I know(dont know too many) who said we don't have a heart? (sorry balbus i didnt know this was discussed before, but id love to see those 20 pages)

17. xaosflux

xaosflux Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I find myself most alligned with the Libertarians. I vote for candiates based on what they say they will done, or shown they can do...not on their party line though. I am not registered LP though, my state has closed primaries that I dont liek to be excluded from.

18. Tamee

Tamee naked

I went to that lp.org site and took that test thing to see which party I was for, and it came up Libertarian with Greens right behind. Seems about right.

19. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Yes boo

It’s sad 20 pages even more and most ‘L’s are still not able to get beyond slogans.

See your ;) and raise you a :D

20. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

Not gonna do it today old friend.

I need to clear my schedule for at least a month before I get into THAT discussion again. Plus, you haven't given the libertarians enough time to come up with more slogans for me to use to argue againsts you. I used up all the old ones already.