Any interpretors?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Super_Grrl, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

I'm looking to talk to someone(s) about being a sign language interpretor. I'm pretty sure this is what I want to do, but I'm interested in hearing about people's experiences in this line of work. Anyhoo...anyone out there? :cool:

2. AutumnAuburn

AutumnAuburn Senior Member

Talk to a counselor at the local JC, they should be able to help you with the demographics of it. I was looking into doing that myself, several years ago... I found that in my area, those jobs were few and far between. But, in your area, it might fine. :)

3. teepi

teepi living my dream

Most community colleges offer classes and point you int he direction of state certification.
    I am fluent in sign as I lived with a totally deafperson for 7 years and was told by alot of deafies I should become certified...
    however now I live in a very rural area.
    But once you are certified you can register with the state and make anywhere from 35-85 dollars an hour, mostly working in the court system, police dept. and hospitals.
    You would be on call and put on a registry, when a deaf person is in need of someone to say...go to a doctors appt. or to court you would be called to see if you are available. The more jobs you accept the more you will be called.
    I also thought about getting a clown costume and doing parties for deaf children or going to schools for the deaf and entertaining.

You could also go to deaf happenings in your community (there are churches that have services for the deaf) and meeting the interpreters who are working there.
    Deaf people are extremly friendly and helpful and take great joy in hearing people who are interested in being friends and working with them.
    teepi

4. OceanLily

OceanLily Member

HI there....from your comment... I'd suggest you to look up few schools in your area ..they may provide sign language classes..and that would lead you from there..

by the way where r u from?

5. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

Hi oceanlily...I'm currently in Niagara but I'll be moving back to Toronto soon enough!

I'm actually taking sign already, and did all summer in Toronto at the Rumball Centre...and I'm looking into a job at the Canadian Hearing Society :)