Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by Kittymoose*, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Kittymoose*

Kittymoose* Member

I've got a bit of a decor dilemma. My room is 9x12, with only one electrical socket, as well as a closet on one wall, with a window adjacent to it. My walls are a cream/eggshell colour, and my carpet is a sand colour. My curtains and bed are both red. I'd like to keep those colors, but as it stands, my room is very plain. I can't really arrange the furniture very easily, because of space restraints. I'm kind of at a loss for decorating ideas, as well as a way to brighten things up a bit (the view from my window is my neighbor's kitchen). Does anybody have any suggestions? Any would be much appreciated.

2. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

oh! I know the answer to this one! Tissue paper! Using flour and water (and salt to aviod rot) stick pieces of ripped up tissue paper to your windows! Use the brightest colours you can find! It will wash off with warm water and a mild soap when you are done with it...

(we did this to our patio doors in an old apartment I had in university... looked really cool and glow-y)

3. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

A flower box outside the window.

4. Tree-Hugger

Tree-Hugger The Chainsaw

If you had pictures it would be easier to give advice. One thing that makes rooms look better is a use of different textures.

5. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

You could add some different colors by throwing some sarongs around, ya know drape them over your bed or furniture or use them as curtains.

Get a surge suppressor so you can have more lights.

[​IMG]

6. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

mirrors always make a room appear larger.

7. icedteapriestess

Just a side note: It really drives me crazy when people ask for input/advice and then apparently ignore the entire thread once people start giving input/advice. Why ask if you aren't going to participate in any dialogue created by your initial inquiry?

8. TARABELLE

Well, I'M going to try your tissue paper idea somewhere. It sounds COOL! [​IMG]

9. icedteapriestess

lol... thanks!

I was a little tense/testy yesterday, and am afraid it sort of trickled over into my posts.. hahah. Oh well.. hormones are a little wonky this late into pregnancy I hear, so I am blaming my husband.. lol!

10. wyldwynd

I tried this on my nieces window and it looks soo cool!! i will take pictures and post them ~thank you icedteaprincess for posting this idea~

11. TARABELLE

Please, please, please post pictures!

12. TARABELLE

oops, double post!

13. wyldwynd

you cant see all the colors the red and blue overlapped made a really cool purple color,,,,and the purple didnt show in the pic,,,,,but here it is~
    [​IMG]

14. TARABELLE

Wow Wee! That looks awesome![​IMG]

15. icedteapriestess

I am glad it worked out for you! Thats so awesome!

16. wyldwynd

thanx for the idea icedteaprincess :) and thank you too tarabelle for the wow weee,,,lol,,it was alot of fun to do~ Peace

17. Kittymoose*

Kittymoose* Member

Just a side note: It really drives me crazy when people ask for input/advice and then apparently ignore the entire thread once people start giving input/advice. Why ask if you aren't going to participate in any dialogue created by your initial inquiry?

Sorry, I know I haven't replied much, I've been sidetracked. Work, ugh.

But anyways, thank you all for wonderful advice, I'm trying the tissue paper idea on my window with a rainbow of colours. I also bought a tye dye sheet/tapestry thing that I hung on the barest wall. I'd love to post pictures, but I don't own a camera (not even the regular kind!) :( I'd also like to try painting my bookshelf and dresser orange. I'm really liking that colour.