Any fellow Aspergers/Autistic folks here ?

Discussion in 'The Autism Spectrum' started by bugsboner, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Girls are better at mimicking social behavior so their symptoms are often missed

I've wondered the same before : p

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Johann Asperger, the guy the condition is named after sent worse case autistic kids to get euthanized at the Am Spiegelgrund clinic in WWII

i.e he was a Nazi

Am Spiegelgrund clinic - Wikipedia

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

That helps a lot, thanks. :worried:

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Dont mention it ;)

5. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I hope you get a lot more one day young padawan

Yes, ADD meds were given out like candy when I was a kid. I'm not sure why you think I would lie about something like that. I had to take them every day until I was 11 and at the time I just trusted doctors and never put 2 and 2 together as to why I felt the way I did.

Like what would I gain by lying? As you can see a few posts and you have made rude comments. It's not like it makes me popular. I posted in the hopes maybe a lurker will see and feel good. Depression and isolation is so common for autistic people.

I'm also a poor speller and lazy when it comes to online causal discussions. Whatever helps you put others down. I assure you I am not dyslexic.

YouFreeMe likes this.
  6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Not sure if I should be taking offense to this or not. I do not think my learning capabilities are affected by anything, I'm quite capable of learning.

I've really just taken my own path in the last few years, I no longer see things the same way as I used to and I no longer really believe anything I used to either.

I know a lot of my ideas clash with others, but I do not think that is a condition of a disease or anything really too much wrong with me lol. I did get tested for ADD when I was younger because I did peculiar things. I remember the eye tests and hearing tests etc. I was never on drugs so I must have been okay, man I haven't thought about that in a very very long time.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

What was the name of the medication you were taking at 11?

9. unfocusedanakin

Ritalin

Autism is not an inability to learn. Asberger's people tend to be very smart when it comes to topics they have an interest in.

10. Don't pretend you know everything. You don't.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Oh that's pretty much me in a nutshell. :) maybe I do have something.

12. You can have learning disabilities with it. It's all about sensory processing disorder where the brain can't process the information that well.

13. unfocusedanakin

That's true but I don't think that is in inability to learn. You are just not as good as some things like most people are.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

what if you are pretty awesome at everything you do?

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Why would you take offense? I meant i've wondered the same thing about myself before lol, not about you

And thats one of the things i've read when I researched it, that girls often go misdiagnosed because they can mimick social cues and no one notices

Autism isnt a learning disability, particuarly in mild cases its more to do with how you function socially

I'm really introverted but I can fake it until I make it mostly because I do mimick what "normal" people do lol. And I have some sensory issues ...i'm super sensitive to sound and if two people talk to me at once it makes me crazy. Plus i have these ocd tendencies which i've heard can go hand in hand with it.

But if I am on the spectrum it would just be a really mild case, it wouldnt change my life to get a diagnosis but it would explain some things about my childhood that everyone wrote off as just being super shy and quirky. But i cant really see myself mentioning it to a healthcare professional or seeking a diagnosis so it is what it is

Driftrue and GLENGLEN like this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I read it as, you've wandered that about me before. :p Sorry.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Lol noooooo

But you're a fellow weird girl, I know that much :p and I like it

18. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Irm Weird.....???.....Wash Your Mouth Out With Soap And Water Young Lady...... :D

Cheers Glen.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

i remember going through HS in year 11 and I knew I wanted to do my degree and I did well in those classes but not so well in others so the teachers brought in my parents and I just said, well im just not interested in those subjects so I guess i don't learn from them, they just don't interest me.

20. Having autism doesn't make you weird. It makes you unique.
    There are those that don't have autism who's ignorance shows up by going around making rude comments about others.

Whilst you have some of us who are on the spectrum who will take everything seriously even when you are trying to be sarcastic.
    We don't have the ability to read between the lines.