Any college bound looking at Oberlin?

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by solargarlic, Jan 6, 2005.

1. solargarlic

solargarlic Member

I got accepted to Oberlin College a few weeks ago (early decision) and now I'm waiting on a financial aid package. If I get a good deal, I'll be enrolling in the fall. Anybody else looking at Oberlin?

2. SamIam

SamIam Member

I'm not going there, but I have several friends who currently do and absolutely love it! I'm sure you'll have a great time there! By everything they've told me, oberlin is an awesome school.

good luck in whatever you do,
    Peace,
    Sam

3. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I keep hearing about all these little colleges I've never heard of and they seem really cool. :p I used to think about Berklee in Boston as far as music goes... but, as far as atmosphere and everything, Boston seems like a nice place, but the college seems kind of commericial and uptight... my mom is a nurse and her patient's son went there and tried to get in there four times, but gave up, went to UVA instead, if I recall... now he's a studio musician... specializes in jazz and blues. He said the toughest thing he's ever done was go to school for music. I really am just interested in studio things like production, mastering, stage performance etc... all of which can be learned without a little piece of paper that says I studied it. I've been wanting to apply to Berklee for three years now... but I've yet to finish homeschooling. :p I've been thinking about switching back to public if we ever move, for senior year. I really can't stand the education system, especially around here...

My friend's parents said he threatened to kill himself and I know he ran off and lived at his grandparents house because he wanted to get out of the public school here. So now we're helping and aiding each other in homeschool. I also considered Santa Cruz... but, I don't like huge schools, although the university of california is said to have the best campus. I also considered USF. California is just insanely expensive, and I don't care for the hustle and bustle of it all, unless I was in Northern CA. It's more pristine up there.

My mom keeps wanting me to go into geology at Virginia Tech or Biology/Marine Science with the Virginia Institute of Marine Science (Vims) and William and Mary. She has connections there... :p on top of that, my neighbors are doing both. I was just jamming with one of them during a party a few weeks ago and they were talking about it. The older brother of the two is taking a couple semesters off and is renting a sailboat. He sailed here from nova scotia this christmas... he's been studying up there and he's off to England now with a professor... weird.

Anywho...

4. solargarlic

solargarlic Member

Well, if you end up applying to school for music, Oberlin is the place to go. It has the second best music conservatory in the nation next to Berklee. I applied to the College despite my musical interests (I'd rather study english), but the environment there is amazing. I went and visited for two days and saw three free performances. There's so much music on campus. Most of the college students play instruments too. It's not just the con.

5. Orsino2

Hmm... I shall consider it. :p

6. drbeaker

drbeaker Member

Ooh! Ooh! I Go To Oberlin!!!! Come Here Its Fun Here!!!!

7. drbeaker

drbeaker Member

Send me a private message or something if you come to visit and I'll show you a good time, oberlin is the place to be if you enjoy one or more of the following: music, marijuana, homosexuality, left-wing politics, oh and high quality liberal arts education too ;) We party like state school students and study like ivy league students, we just never sleep.

8. Orsino2

ooooh... brownie seasoning, gay sex, and left-winginism all tied together.

9. neoteny

neoteny Member

I currently go to Oberlin and know some kids from Ossining, I wonder if they are your friends.
    Aside from that, I love this place. It's great fun and great learning. Also, if you do end up coming here, I would seriously suggest looking into OSCA (the co-op association). It is one of the best aspects of the school.