anxiety.panic attack meds?

Discussion in 'Health' started by stranger, Jan 29, 2005.

1. stranger

stranger Member

do they work??? how well? bad side effects? will i be anxiety/panic free if i take them for 2 months and then stop??????

or does anyone know breathing techniques? i googled them and found a lot of things people were selling that supposedly cured them right away. http://www.anxietypanic.com all of them are under treatment, different sites with different stuff, wondering if anyones tried any?

2. They do work well and I haven't had any bad side effects from the medication I take (Zoloft) for anxiety and depression. I doubt you will be symptom free after two months, especially after you stop. Sometimes it can take up to a year for you to experience the full effect of the medication. And please don't forget about other forms of treatment as well. Anything from meditation to herbal medicine to counseling to aromatherapy, all these things can work. Taking medication for these types of problems is a long-term commitment, not a quick fix. And I don't believe medication can solve all of these problems alone. It helps to cure, but it takes more to heal. And remember, these are just my opinions and I am not a doctor. Please ask a doctor or other health care provider before making any decisions.
    Best of luck to you,
    ~*~Laura~*~

3. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

There is no panic meds that will cure you straight away. I have anxiety disorder and on average most people need to take about 20 mg a day for a year or so then SLOWLY cut down the intake over a period of 6 months. Dont EVER just stop taking them cold turkey, the anxiety will only come back and be more persistant.... trust me. Talk to your doctor and organise a treatment plan. The doctor is the one who knows what you need to be taking and when you should cut down your treatment.... thats why we have doctors!

4. Moonjava

Moonjava Senior Member

please do not resort to meds right away. I used to suffer with cronic panic disorder, but i know that there are better (and safer) alternatives. First of all, how long have you been suffering with panic attacks? And do you know what may have triggered them? I found that time was the best medicine for me (and lots of prayer!) Go to your local health food store (or search engine for that matter) and look up 5-htp. It is a vitamin that boosts the level of seratonin in the brain. I found this to be helpful. It is kind of expensive (like $35 a bottle) but it is well worth it. And it's cheaper than a doctor's visit/perscription, too! Also, start taking B-6 and Magnesium as well as Zinc. I found a vitamin which combined all of these at wal-mart. Another thing, avoid smoking anything, drugs (esp. psychodelics) and alcohol. They trigger panic. There are also natural remedies at http://www.nativeremedies.com I never tried these personally, but I think they would be worth a shot before getting on psychotrophic drugs. They're NOT good for you! Also, a web-site that helped me understand my disorder, and then defeat it for the most part, was http://www.linden-method.com. I didn't buy this guys' program, but I found his information very helpful! I hope these suggestions work for you. I've been there, honey! Don't lose hope because you WILL get better!

5. deadonceagain

deadonceagain mankind is a plague

i realy wouldnt take meds ive had anxiety disorder for about 5months i havent tooken any meds at all, im doing realy well and getting better everyday working through your problem and talking to someone i think is better then takeing some pill, pills wont fix your problem only you can, pilsl might help but your the one who will have to get through your problems

6. Moonjava

Moonjava Senior Member

Exactly! That was the exact case with me.. I got better and better everyday. It was bad for a while, though, but now the anxiety/panic hardly exists. Mine started in March, and by August I had improved a great deal.

Also, if you happen to order the 5-htps, you may want to consider taking them before you go to bed. They always seemed to make me really drowsey during the day. When you take them at night, you can still feel the effects of them the next day just so ya know....

hugs & healing
    MJ