Anti-Windpower group

Discussion in 'Alternative Technologies' started by Unkle_John, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Unkle_John

Unkle_John Member

While I was surfing around I found this site: http://www.nortexwind.org/index.htm

What do you all think?

I personally think the site is BS and grown up in the area, I think they need to worry about urbanites moving in to destroy their landscape than a few towers out there creating power.

2. Pronatalist

Pronatalist Banned

Well I didn't check that website, as my time is limited and I need to find that link again to the "The Great Global Warming Swindol" and get that video going before my internet time is up.

But I have seen stuff in the news about people who claim that windmills or wind energy turbines are "unsightly" or "spoil the view" or whatever nonsense, and want to set height restrictions on them. How stupid can people get? Are these morons going to pay to replace my refrigerator food on some hot summer day when everybody cranks on their air conditioners? Do they think that electricity "grows on trees?" Everybody wants their electric gadgets to work, but nobody wants to produce any electricity in any place or way that might have the slightest detectable impact? If wind energy turbines are a practical and cost-effective portion of the needed electricity capacity, that can stretch fuel and such during those times when the wind actually is blowing, then I am all for them.

I like technology, and I like to see technology. I like to see even imaginary technology, like all those pipes and mechanical hallways in movies and video games. Even that pipe in Star Trek 5 I think it was with the letters on it "GNDN." Which they explain in the commentary or something stands for, "Goes Nowhere Does Nothing." Yeah, such "inside jokes" that don't spoil the movie, are cute too. And of course that nice humming sound coming from some pipes in the nuclear reactor of the Playstation 2 game "Half-Life," are just a facade, but I did rather like the scenery and sound effects, and would like to tour any power plant or factory that I had the opportunity, if they offer tours.

So as I see it, wind energy turbines can be a rather scenic part of nature, as long as they are largely functional and not made to be ugly "art." I like to use electricity, so I don't mind seeing its production. It's far better than being an "environmental" hypocrite.

I also welcome urbanites to move into rural areas too, just so long as they are well-behaved and don't bring stupidity like Rap-is-crap, especially if made necessary due to the natural increase of the human population, as all those precious darling babies of so many people, need some place to live. And there's lots of "empty" places all around that can absorb quite a lot more people, as or if need be. Neither one necessary "spoils" the scenery, but it's all a "natural" part of the scenery, as people and their technology, need their place too.

3. bigtex11

bigtex11 Member

I do agree with that, but as the number of windturbines increase, more and more people will be wanting to urbanize a place where there is free energy.

I live in a town that has a population of a little less than 1,000 people, and everyday I hear more and more complaits about the noise and the nausia some people get just looking at them.

A long time friend of mine owns, a what use to be, beautiful 10,000 acre ranch that has been in his family for generations. About a year ago, he agreed to let a company put wind turbines on his ranch. To this day, he regrets ever letting them put them on his ranch. He said the noise was unbearable to listen to 24/7.

4. aleCcowaN

aleCcowaN Member

Some captions in that website:

It devalues our property
    It stops in-migration and hurts the local economy

another caption in the home page

We Live in a Beautiful Area of Undisturbed Woodlands

"...
    In recent years, it has been discovered by retiring and relocating urban dwellers, attracted by its more-natural, less-altered beauty, and its quiet, rural character. Land prices in the area have more than tripled over the past five years, as a steady stream of relatively affluent buyers purchased old farmsteads and constructed their country retirement homes." Source

Almost all the rest is tailored to align with these "environmental" needs I quoted. Obviously, there are some issues about windmills that technology should face, but assertions as "
    It squanders our capital on a false promise" (another caption) are not done in good faith because the people who wrote this should know well that unless a coal or natural gas electric power plant there are no cost of fuel involved and that's why the cost per kilowatt seems to be so "high" for an energy which is not available plenty on demand.

All arguments can be refuted one by one, but there'll be a need for 1 billion human beings to refute all the twisted things the other 5 billions can say when they hold a hidden interest.

[You're welcome to correct my English]

5. hipsage88

hipsage88 Member

what do people have against wind powered tech? its the safest and cleanest next to hydro and solar powered tech. are people so shallow theatend by change they cant think outside the box?

6. D351

D351 Member

I'm sure they would be unpleasant to live by... a good reason to put them a good way away from homes, but if there's any places far enough out that they won't be heard, I think the aesthetic argument is crap. Non-oil energy is more important than your precious and perfect view.

7. Irish Drunkard

Irish Drunkard Member

It definitely is. Wind turbines are far more pleasing to the eye than smokestacks or a coal mining operation. At least in my opinion. I don't understand where the anti-wind energy arguments come from either. Most of the are quite flimsy and come from a perspective of not wanting to change the status quo, and because they see wind energy as not being sufficient to serve their own energy demands (parallels the arguments against solo commuting in a small car).

People argue against wind power for aesthetic reasons, but also want us to start drilling for oil and natural gas on public land despite what the landscape will look like then. And guess which one is in finite supply.

8. Drakes

Drakes Member

They're building a wind farm right north of my rural town of 100 people starting this fall. I am worried about how it will change life here due to the noise and appearance, but I feel it is our duty to support their construction because they are so much better than other power generation systems. I will keep this forum posted on how it turns out!

9. Ludicrous

Ludicrous Member

They think wind turbines are messing up their view? They should see what the coal industry is doing. And the people who's views are being messed up (read: totally destroyed) by coal do not have the money or clout to do anything about it. Mountaintop removal, anyone? I grew up with my landscapes riddled with oil drills. You get used to it, and even begin to see them as something beautiful (and wind turbines would be even better because you know they are clean!) I live next to some of the largest refineries in the United States (I can see them from my front yard). I would much rather look out and see a field of wind turbines than what I see now. They should consider themselves lucky.

10. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

:DI live right in a large wind farm. Im just acorss the road from a lot of towers. I like to look at them. They are not noisy, theres a little wooshing sound come from them. At night they have a red light on top. Looks pretty cool. I dont find them to be unsightly at all, kinda a modernistic/futurisitc perhaps look.. I especially like the fact they are not spewing smoke nor will I get nuked if one breaks down. All the bad you are hearing about them is simply propaganda from the coal industry and of course their bunkmates the Right Wing.
    Now the coal industry was deregulated under the Bush administration and that went into effect last year. but also a lot of the coal plants and nuk e plants are outdated and need a lot of work wich costs bucks Huge bucks. Consumers will be paying for that in increased rates but they will blame alternative energy for it.:mad: Sadly enough people will buy into this. I quick listening to my television. The coal industry ran so much propaganda this summer about how everybody was going to loose thier job to alternative energy it was unbelivable. Now that the climate bill is officially dead I don't know if that is still going on or not.