Anti gmo

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Carlfloydfan, May 22, 2013.

1. Carlfloydfan

Carlfloydfan Travel lover

Apparently "Chiptole" now labels their food "GMO-Free" and states such as Vermont and Connecticut are currently mulling over making it a requirement to label GMO food. Food is so toxic these days and GMO is a part of that reason (though there are other factors that are being ignored). What do you think?

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Yes, it is really a disgrace that people have let this happen, because even in China it is required for them to label GMO and GMO-containing foods as such. Go figure, a country that markets melamine-tainted baby formula and all sorts of lead-tainted garbage people here buy for their kids to put in their mouths. But here in the US, the obesity capital of the world, the majority of people couldn't give a shit less what they cram down their gullet as long as it tastes good. And thanks to that treasonous, vile piece of shit Obama, that corporate criminal puppet, Monsanto has more power than ever to poison our food supply with their toxic waste, without people being able to do a damn thing about it. It truly infuriates me when I think about it.

Odon, the "vegetarian," will be here shortly to defend Monsanto and tell us how GMO food really isn't bad for us.

No hard feelings, Matty... you know I am just fucking with you. Even if it's true. ;)

3. lode

lode Banned

I don't have any problem with GMO food from a food safety stand point, and any evidence that proves otherwise is incidental. I don't like patents on food though, and the stuff should be labeled so people who don't want to eat it should be able (not) to.

4. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Please provide RELIABLE sources for this.
    Then I will form an opinion based on facts.

5. Pressed_Rat

But you want sources that support only what you want to believe, which is that the food marketed to the public is healthy and safe. Just go to Monsanto's website if you want to hear how great their roundup-ready corn sprayed with chemicals (which you then injest into your body) is.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I've read a lot of conflicting evidence on the safety of GMOs but I don't touch the stuff, or I try not to the best of my ability.

I think it would be a real shock to Americans if GM food was labeled. Probably like 95% of food in the supermarket would have to carry the label.

7. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I think people worry to much about food and whatnot. Eat what you want and don't eat what you don't want, it's very simple.

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

But if there's no label, how do you know which package is filled full of stuff that you don't want?

9. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Get fresh things.

10. Pressed_Rat

But there's tons of "fresh" things that are GM, too. Avoiding processed foods is a start, though.

11. Pressed_Rat

The thing is, you cannot trust the information the FDA puts out, since they're essentially an arm of corporations like Monsanto. However, there have been plenty of studies done abroad that show GMO foods are not only unhealthy, but dangerous, and that they cause blood and organ abnormalities in mice.

When corporations have the stranglehold they do over not only the food supply, but also the flow of information regarding the safety of said food supply, how can they be trusted, especially when there is ample evidence showing their food to not be safe?

12. odonII

odonII O

Is it the same as this in China?:

(EC) No. 1829/2003

In the EU, if a food contains or consists of genetically modified organisms (GMOs), or contains ingredients produced from GMOs, this must be indicated on the label. For GM products sold 'loose', information must be displayed immediately next to the food to indicate that it is GM.

This means products such as flour, oils and glucose syrups have to be labelled as GM if they are from a GM source.
    Products produced with GM technology (cheese produced with GM enzymes, for example) do not have to be labelled.

http://www.food.gov.uk/policy-advice/gm/gm_labelling#anchor_1

13. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

14. Pressed_Rat

15. odonII

odonII O

I thought this thread was about food labeling? : /

16. Pressed_Rat

Monsanto definitely ties in with it, since they're responsible for most of the GMO crap that's in the food people eat.

17. odonII

odonII O

Well, what's their position on labeling? And: Is it the same as this in China?

18. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Is that what I said???

I absolutely fucking love the fact that SOOOOO many people here have such a problem when confronted with someone such as myself who approaches topics from a truly neutral stance. You guys just NEED me to be on one side of the fence or the other don't you? Guess it makes it easier to pigeon hole people into arbitrarily concocted categories.
    I love it!!!:devil:

No, I want links to the actual research studies stating that GMO products are harmful or safe.
    I am intelligent enough to read and understand the research and form an educated opinion on the topic.
    I'm not going to blindly except Monsato's rhetoric, nor will I blindly except yours.

Could you please provide links or some way I could readily find this info.

PR you have claimed elsewhere on the site that you possess an IQ of 140, sorry, I just am not seeing it evidenced in your communications here. :(

Why not use your above average intelligent to construct sound arguments with real science and statistics to back up and validate your positions??? For somebody of your intelligence that should be a snap.

I will say that the most beneficial classes I ever took were Logic and Critical Thinking and Experimental Psychology.
    From those two I learned how to frame, construct, conduct, evaluate and draw conclusions from scientific experimentation and research.
    Logic and Critical Thinking provided me with the tools to more precisely understand and dissect research, problems and communications in general.

Armed with that I quickly recognize junk science, errors in methodology and errors in logic concerning the interpretation of results.

I think a lot of HF members would greatly benefit from the same curriculum. ;)

19. odonII

odonII O

20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Thanks Odon, but that is still just providing me with someones interpretation of the results, not the actual research and data.
    I like looking at the original research whenever possible.
    I will view the video(s) when I have more time, maybe I can glean some actual research sources from there.

and again, just to be clear, I am truly neutral on the topic at this point. I can see valid points on both sides, but it is the hard science that will persuade me more than hyperbole.