anti-depresants?

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by Hipkatmeow, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Hipkatmeow

Hipkatmeow Member

Hi Ladies... I wasnt quite sure where to post this but I figured maybe you would be able to help me out. I recently started taking anti-depresants again... I took them for like three years and never had any problems with them even in the begining I had no side effects what so ever. Then I stopped taking them with permesion from my doctor. But Ive been really depressed for the last year and have tried everything short of medication but nothing was working so I decided to give in and agree to go back on it... They put me on lexapro which I have never taken before... I started taking it 3 days ago... and I constantly feel like i have a hangover and I cant hold my hands still because they keep shaking... and I just feel so awful all I want to do is stay in bed.... I called my doctor and he said it was normal... I guess I was just wondering if anyone has had similar problems . Also I was wondering if anyone has ever taken lexapro before and if it works.... Thanks.

2. Co0kiezGurl

Co0kiezGurl Banned

When I was put on zoloft the only side affects I experienced was extreme fatigue (took my first one in the morning before work and nearly fell over asleep at the register all freakin day). I just started taking them at night and everything was fine after that. The side affects you're having would freak me out...maybe mention to your doc that you'd rather try something else to see if you could find something that doesn't have annoying side affects? I can't tell ya anything about lexapro since I've only ever been on zoloft. What were you taking before? If those worked for you I'd ask to switch back to them instead.

Anyway, good luck hon :). I hope you find what works for you and get all better.

3. barefoot hippie

barefoot hippie Member

i just started taking antidepresants on tuesday but theyre called something different im not sure what theyre called but not that
    i read the pamphlet thing and those sympotoms were some of the side effects along with nausea listed in the pamphlet
    i felt a little sick the first day but ever since then ive been alright
    have you taken any alcohol cause with mine im not supposed to however my dads meds are alright with drinking so maybe thats the problem
    talk to your doctor again if it doesnt go away or if it gets worse
    hope you feel better
    ~love and peace

4. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

Maybe you should ask your doc if you can go back on the anti-depressants that you had previously been on? If they were effective and you didn't have sideaffects, I don't see any issues with switching back to them (unless they're far more expensive, which can always be a concern)

Personally, I'd be really freaked out by those side affects. I still get a little weirded out of my super-moodiness in the few days around my depo shot, and it's actually pretty mild compared to what it can do to people, or what other medications can do.

5. Piper82

Piper82 Member

I took Lexapro and it helped me immensely. I do remember having a lot of shaking and light-headedness the first few days that I took it and also the first few days that I was off of it. I took myself off of it suddenly though, so as long as you follow a doctor's advice you should be fine. You should not have any side effects after a week or so, so if you are still feeling all of this after that long, I would talk to your doctor again. Best of luck- if you need any more information, feel free to ask!

6. Mui

Mui Senior Member

kat i think your doctors a moron... i say tell him you want to go off lexapro and on prozac or zoloft or something.

7. greeneyedbaby

greeneyedbaby Member

I'm on zoloft, and I haven't really had any major side-effects, just a slight headache and dizzyness in the beginning.

8. Hipkatmeow

Hipkatmeow Member

Thanks for all the responces guys... I told my doctor I couldnt take it anymore because I kept throwing up shaking and I couldnt stand up because I was so dizzy... and my heart was beating increadbly fast I was really really sick... so he said we would try something else... I was on zoloft for a logn time but it never really did anything for me... So the doctor said I could try prozac. So we will see...

9. greeneyedbaby

greeneyedbaby Member

it's good that you've worked things out.
    Hope prozac will be working well with you!

10. David54

David54 Member

Do these discussions alarm anyone besides me?

Especially you, Barefoot Hippie. You're putting a qsychoactive drug in your body, and you don't even remember what it's called!

11. anastasia

anastasia Member

my friend takes that and her hands alays shake- its hard for her bc shes a painter- anyway the hangove thing goes away its just the nausea of getting used to new chemicals- i think antidepressants are a bad idea bc they alter the brain chemistry- my friend just recently went off all of her antis bc she decided that shed eben on them long enough and she didnt want to be on them her whole life and she wnated to learn how to be happy w/o chemicals and for a while she was more depressed than ever but lately i think shes been feeling really happy- so its an option for you if you want to stick it out- whatever you decide, good luck!

12. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

I've been on and off anti depressants since I was 17 or so. Thing about them is that they act different for everyone. I tried 4 different ones until I found the one that I am on now. It is completely different from the others (it works on a different part of the brain). I take Welbutrin. I have not had any side effects and I really do believe they have helped to save my life.

Also, taking antidepressants don't cure you. They help, but you really should have the help of a professional so you can work on the underlying issues that are making you feel depressed.

Go on google and search different kinds of anti depressants and their side effects and see what the good and the bad things are. I have heard some really bad things about certain ones and I would never in a million years take them even if they were the only ones on earth.

Good luck and if you ever want to talk just feel free to private message me.

13. cutelildeadbear

I hope you are going to take a biology class. Your brain is made from chemicals. Not having the right amount is what causes depression. I too thought that taking a pill for "happiness" was wrong. I now realize that is not why I'm taking it at all I'm taking it so I don't kill myself of someone around me which I have come very close to doing. Don't judge until you have some facts. You obviously haven't done much research on the subject. Do I sound like a bitch? Yeah I haven't taken my afternoon pill yet.

14. anastasia

anastasia Member

i apologize if i sounded judgemental and your right i probably should do some research on it. although this year my doctor tried to prescribe me to wellbutrin but i asked if there were natural ways of taking antidepressants and she said there were. thats almost all i know about it. but i do realize that some people have imbalances and need them because they have severe mood swings, suicidal tendncies, etc. so sprry if i offended you

15. celtgrrl

celtgrrl batty woman

exactly. it's a matter of brain chemistry. i am bipolar, and i am not in therapy. i take meds because i have to--if i didn't i would be suicidal at times, and i would be have a horrible temper at times, and i would go out and charge my credit cards up at other times.
    i've tried therapy. while talking to somebody can be helpful, it really doesn't have any bearing on my being bipolar. i prefer talking to close friends.
    and i'm always going to be bipolar. do i wish i could go off my meds? you betcha. but i don't want to hurt my kid or myself, i don't want to be arrested, i want to be able to live my life without dealing with those horrible mood swings. i've heard of some people trying other things, like vitamins, etc...but i am afraid i'll hurt my kid...she's a difficult child being bipolar too...and so i keep taking them. maybe someday, in the future, i'll try living without them again. but i know it's tough, i was unmedicated and undiagnosed for a long time, and life is MUCH easier now for me.
    before i had been dx'd bipolar i took a few anti depressants (now i take mood stabilizers). i took prozac, zoloft. prozac made me DEATHLY ill. the thing about these meds is that everyone reacts differently to them...everyone's body chemistry is a little different. so if one doesn't work and you think you need one, try another.

16. cutelildeadbear

Its ok, you didn't offend me personally, I just wanted to make sure that people do know what depression is. People are still being judged in this day and age regarding this illness. And it really is an illness. I used to be one of the people who said, oh you don't need drugs (this is when I was off the medication) you can exercise and eat fucking oranges and go out in the sunshine (all of which you can do, and it does help, but not if you are severely depressed like most people on meds). Then the depression came back. I don't know why I have it sometimes and why other times I don't (no I'm not bi polar, I have talked to doctors about that). The medicine that I take is right for me right now. I doubt I will be on it forever, the goal is to take it now and to go to therapy and work out my issues and coping skills, that way the next time something bad happens to me, I can deal with it appropriately instead of feeling like I should kill myself. It is not meant to be a cure all or a quick fix, I really hate it when people use it as such because it makes people misunderstand the disease and the drugs that have helped so many people.

And I'd be really careful of any natural remedies because they can be very dangerous.

17. Peace Attack

Peace Attack Make War

Why do doctors prescibed these pills like its nothing?

Yeah I'm on them too.

18. PrincessJewel

PrincessJewel Member

This isn't related to anti-depressants, but i forgot to take my BC pill last nite. should i take it during today and the next one tonight, or just take the one i should take tonight and don't worry bout the one i missed