Anthropology

Discussion in 'Higher Ed' started by JavaJade, Jun 21, 2006.

1. JavaJade

JavaJade Member

Is there anyone here majoring in anthropology? It would be interesting to have someone to discuss the subject with.

2. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

I'm in grad school for anthropology. What sort of topics are you looking to discuss? Which subfield are you interested in?

3. JavaJade

JavaJade Member

I was thinking about psychology, but I'm not so sure. I would like to travel. I couls get into archeaology, but I don't know if I like the idea of sleeping with spiders. Digging up bones isn't too appealing either. I'm just so interested in the way people live in other countries!

And what about you? What subfield are you studying?

4. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

I'm doing my BA in anthropology and development studies. One year left. After that, I've been thinking of doing my MA in either medical or forensic anthropology.

5. JavaJade

JavaJade Member

I've thought of that. Sounds cool.

6. dawn_sky

dawn_sky Senior Member

I study cultural anthropology. I will be working with an indigenous ethnic group in Indonesia, looking at the way that social changes related to globalization are affecting the local practice of their traditional religion. I'm also interested in economic and ecological anthropology, which may or may not fit neatly into my dissertation research.

To the question about good colleges... First, it is far less of an issue when you are looking at a school for undergrad. I recommend a good, well-rounded university, because most undergrads change majors a couple of times. Also, I recommend a university that provides ample opportunities for student-faculty interaction and undergraduate research. Whether you stick with anthropology or switch to something else, this will give you a far better college experience and research experience will look much better (than just having taken classes) when applying for jobs or for grad school.

I can't offer any specific recommendations about schools without knowing your theoretical preference (I would have changed majors away from anthropology if I had been somewhere like U-California at Berkely, which is very post-modern, but those who prefer a po-mo approach would have hated the place where I did my undergrad -- they're VERY different approaches to asking questions and deciding how to find answers), subfield (cultural, linguistic, physical, or archaeology), and area of interest (North America, MesoAmerica, SouthEast Asia, East Asia, etc.).

Basically, I don't know anyone who is even a freshman in college, muchless still in high school, who can answer those questions. The most highly rated anthropology program may be a bad place for you if you don't like their approach. Some program at a small school that is not even a blip on the map for most anthropologists might be the perfect place for you.