Another university police experience

Discussion in 'Cannabis Legal and Security Issues' started by LeMonte, Nov 25, 2012.

1. LeMonte

LeMonte Member

I was looking for some advice on being caught for smoking in my friend's dorm. We had finished smoking, and a awhile later the cops knocked on the door. We found our weed and threw it out the window. We answered the door and they told us they smelled it. They wrote down our school ID's and things like that. I may have seen the cop write down my ID number wrong because I looked and at that moment it was written wrong, but he may have corrected it. They never searched the room, because it was so messy. I don't know how bad this is for me. I was thinking at most I was just going to get a school slap on the wrist and let go, not kicked out or anything. So in essence, besides it smelling like weed, they have no proof we actually had anything. That may still be enough to get my friend kicked out of the dorm, but I was unsure of what consequences this may have for me. Could you guys please give me some advice?

Also I was wondering if they would some how contact my parents? They are very anti weed and pay for my tuition, so I am hoping that they are not sent an email or letter or something like that. When they asked for a phone number to call, I just gave them mine. I'm just worried about losing my tuition. I don't think any legal consquence will come of this, just school punishment. Thanks for your time.

2. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

If all they have is smell, you have nothing to worry about. Smell can not be brought to a courtroom. You looked nervous so they went ahead and wrote down your info. The main thing a cop is looking for is for you to get nervous when they question you. It's hard because their training is ment to make you uneasy but do not be intimidated by them. If you stand your ground there is little they can do.

In the future when a cop says he smells weed simply say "I think you are mistaken officer" and "I do not consent to any searches". I am betting you had to give verbal consent for your room to be searched. No matter what a cop tells you they can not search or enter your home/ vehicle without either A. your consent B. a warrant

I have done this and the cop will get very angry, they will claim it does not matter. You have to stand up to them and keep repeating only those things to them.

Did he say something like "I am going to search your room". When you say ok you are consenting to wave your rights. But the question is worded in a way that you think you have no choice. This is done on purpose, cops are under no obligation to tell you the truth, in fact lieing to meet their end is encouraged in training.

They may try to make you nervous and threaten you with expulsion, but they will do it in the hopes you admit to something. That school is making allot of money from your tuition, they are not going to expel you and no longer receive that money, that is the main thing for them.

3. PhotoDude

PhotoDude Member

unfocusedanakin is right. If they have no proof, they can't do anything. And even if they do report something to the school, then the school can't do anything since there was no proof.

4. LeMonte

LeMonte Member

That's what I was worried about. Real courts may not use smell, but I do not know about the school. Even if they tried, they have no proof, and we can easily claim we just came back from a party or something similar. I believe I am fine, but I will keep you updated. Mostly I am still worried because I read about a similar event, and the person that it had happened to got an email months later saying that they had to go before their student board or whatever it is called. I don't think this will happen however.

5. indydude

indydude Senior Member

Good thinking getting the goods out of the room. I usually stash down my drawers which i thought was always cop proof but have been hearing about cops fishing down there these days. wtf!
    Toke up outside. Light incense. Dont open the door with out a warrant. Or exit and lock. Find out who narked and psychologically fuck w/him for the rest of the year.
    Times are hardcore now. Back in the early 90's everyones dorm smelled like weed. lol

6. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

this is true.

but it is NOT true for a dorm room. that's the university property and the university police can enter whenever they like.

as for the original question, i'm pretty sure they aren't gonna kick you out for smelling like weed. even if you admitted to smoking it (i'm not saying to do this).
    they would likely only kick you out if you were selling it.

7. odonII

odonII O

Are you/your parents paying for you to go to uni'?

8. LeMonte

LeMonte Member

It is a scholarship, but my parents pay what the tuition does not cover. Regardless, I doubt they would ever find out. This is not highschool. I'm not worried about getting kicked out, just losing my scholarship. Also, if the police want to enter a non school related apartment, then can I not open the door until they have a warrant?

9. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

It's like paying rent, the landlord can not enter in that case without advance notice. Same thing applies here, he is paying for it, so they can not come in when they please, his money buys privacy I am pretty sure. Maybe I am wrong, I am not 100% up to date on dorm policy.

10. odonII

odonII O

Agh, fair enough.

11. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

i think if the police are knocking, you sort of have to open the door. the best thing to do would be to open the door to exit the apt. and then close the door behind you. if you leave it open they will probably see a young person drinking or something else (or make it up) and then just come in.

i don't think anyone in the thread is a lawyer though ;)

i'm pretty sure at a private university you don't have those type of rights anymore