another roadside attraction

Discussion in 'Humor Books' started by wandering spirit, Mar 19, 2005.

1. wandering spirit

wandering spirit Banned

it's an easy ride. a fun book by tom robbins from the early 70's. i think it might actually be his first.

2. lawngirl

lawngirl Member

^ that's an awesome book.

3. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

i LOVE all of tom robbins books.....

skinny legs and all was my own personal favorite by him.....

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

It is his first. and an awesome read.

5. Kione

Kione Member

Wow! This is awsome I was just came on to start a thread about this book and lo and behold there is one here! I love Tom Robbins books. I'm in the porcess of getting skinny legs and all from the library.

6. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

I love his books. My favorites are "Jitterbug Perfume" and "Still-life with Woodpecker".

7. hippibillie

hippibillie Member

Tom Robbins rocks! they did a sucky job tryin to turn his book(s) into movie tho.....You just gotta love all that Hippi-ness. i think 'Roadside attraction is my fav but it's hard to pick i wanted to be that girl! and now i am heeheee or mabe im just the crazy chinese guy in even cowgirls get the blues.......i dont know its been ajwhile since i reread them, guess ill have to make a trip to the local bookseller and my dealer too!

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I saw a lot of my relationship with my sweetie in John Paul and Amanda.
    I also giggle when suddenly it isn't Tom's characters but Terrence McKenna's characters jabbering away.
    Tom R makes me think outside the rigors of standard research in spirituality or mere anectdotal bits.

9. Kione

Kione Member

Out of all his books is there one in particular that one *must* read?

10. scarlettchasingroses

they are all must reads.....

in my opinion anyway.....

11. Lotus Butterfly

Lotus Butterfly Member

I agree with Scarlettchasingroses in that they are all must reads ( it's easy to do, he only has written under 10 books.) Before "Villa Incognito" came out, I was fiending because I had already read all his books and I wanted more!!! He is my favorite author. I would have to say that "Skinny Legs and All" is probably my favorite and that it's an important read especially with what is going on in the world right now.

12. scarlettchasingroses

he has eight books.....

hehe....i own/have read them all.....

13. Kione

Kione Member

Gah! The Library doesn't have Skinny legs and all and Still life with woodpecker. I feel cheated.

14. scarlettchasingroses

can't you order them?

i don't know how the library system in canada works, but in the u.s., most states have all their libraries connected, so if you go to the library, and they don't have a book, you can order it from another library.....

15. Kione

Kione Member

Usually you can but the librarian fed me this crap about not being able to do it for the next six weeks because the central library was moving. But the central library has nothing to do with the branch here. I think she's just mad at life.

16. TarHead

TarHead Member

Of the Robbins books I have read, Another Roadside Attraction is by and large my favorite from an "Ideas" perspective. I love its bold critique of Christian culture, and the "sacrosanct" ways of the Catholic Church, coupled with the thuggish reality that is unveiled as pages are turned.

I love the direct clash of these critical ideas about the Church with the backdrop of seedy American mercantilism that the "roadside attraction" represents. And then there's Amanda, who conceives a child in a lightning storm and maintains something of an exotic mystery even as the "narrator" covets her and strives to possess her, when she is loves everyone freely and without attachments.

And then there's Mon Cul...

The chimp that's so cool he knows the one word that rhymes with "Orange." "Problem is, he's not telling anyone..."

Classic Robbins here...

The analogy that comes to fruition in the ending is adventurous and fun...

Love this book...

17. Kione

Kione Member

I liked how Marx Marvelous came about his name.

18. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

i love him as well. i dig another roadside attraction alot, it was the first one that i read. but my favourites are skinny legs and all and jitterbug perfume. the man is brilliant and a poet...i love how far out the stories are but yet completely covered with philosophical meanderings

19. raven23

raven23 Member

I think Jitterbug Perfume is my fav. When oh when will the next book come out? It's not fair that Steven King can be so prolific and Tom Robbins have only eight books. I want more!!!

20. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

you know though, i don't like Stephen King's books that much, or i can i haven't liked them that much....but the Dark Tower series is absolutely amazing...