Another public apology from an actor regarding harassment

Discussion in 'The Media' started by Deidre, May 24, 2018.

1. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Am I the only one who enjoys being complimented at work these days?

2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I know, talk to me about basketball...punk rock...hip hop...Remarque...sharks...beer...your favorite restaurants...the weather...hockey...surfing...goddamn traffic...wine...politics...King Kong...

I have a lot of interests that should appeal to people of both genders. But no. If, "you're hot!" is off the table, I'm impossible to talk to.

*Shrug* Oh well...if I need a male perspective on anything, I have brothers, a brother-in-law (I guess still a brother) and McFuddy.

3. Noserider

You're doing a wonderful job at work. Keep it up.

beachbum86 and Deidre like this.
  4. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

We like compliments just not solely on our looks.

5. quark

quark Parts Unknown

That's not true.

I know.

6. Noserider

Fuck it. I tried.

7. quark

quark Parts Unknown

The funniest part is that's what always happens at work. I can never accept a compliment... Even though I just said I enjoy being complimented...

8. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

The thing is, a lot of people (both genders) see it as harmless.. Like, they're just calling you pretty, what's the big deal? But girls get told this all their lives and it teaches them that being pretty is their goal. Boys might get told they're strong, brave, clever.. Girls hear those things too, but less frequently than praise of their appearance.

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You didnt cure male selective blindness in a couple of posts? Thats so surprising ;)

Do you want me to tell you there is a female version of the same thing?

10. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

You look nice today.

11. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

We all know there is.

12. Work harder, comrade

13. FrostyDog

FrostyDog Official Ol' Geezer

Nice post! I am afraid that you will be in the minority though. A lot of women probably want some kind of "revenge" against men.....and that could be very bad.

14. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I didn't read the link so this is a general answer that will insert his name in. Jason Bateman may treat 12 women all the same. One may be offended by what 11 others aren't. It unfortunately isn't a set of rules where one set fits all people.

When that one states she's offended, he's pretty much effed nowadays. I saw where 2 women tried to skewer Morgan Freeman. He didn't know what he did, he just simply apologized. His endorsement contract he had with VISA was dropped by the end of that day. It was later revealed that they used his answers in an interview he was giving that they were not even involved in. Claiming he looked towards them when he answered. They converted that to sexual innuendo. That was the basis of their complaint. I believe if I remember right he sued them for lost revenues from VISA.

Morgan Freeman threatens to release video he says proves he didn't harass

It's the new age we live in.

15. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

It's one thing if it's just a compliment. But a straight guy will rarely call a woman pretty without wanting something from you. There have been times, if I don't respond the way a man wants me to, I'm automatically a bitch. Or stuck up.

I have male friends, and I'm not a man hater...But I'm just inclined to think men have no self control. If I see a pretty girl, I in no way think that entitles me to grab her tits or make her uncomfortable leering at her.

In fact, just knowing I'm making someone uncomfortable turns a switch in my mind off to the point I'm as dry as the Sahara. If you get turned on when women don't want you, there is something WRONG with you. Mentally, emotionally, whatever. Deal with it before women get tired of reporting assault and being ignored, and just start cutting off dicks instead.

16. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Don't genelarize too much. Some of what you say I absolutely agree happens. The problem with all of this is it's often situations that occur bewteen 2 people that have nobody else to rely on that can state what happened. So it becomes a he said she said too often. Or something starts out consensually, and then things go wrong and one party is no longer consensual.

Further some people will abuse anything and everything they can for personal gain.

17. la Principessa

That's the problem. How many people have an audience or a camera when they have sex? Or, rather, how many rapists attack where there are witnesses?

And I'm sorry, but with the way most of these situations go, I don't see what kind of personal gain these women are getting. Death threats, shamed, humiliated, accused of being lying whores. Most of the time the guy doesn't even see the inside of a jail cell, and they don't get a "Keep your mouth shut" check of a million dollars.

18. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Yes everyone should proceed through life carefully.

19. la Principessa

That's the thing though, isn't it. The men that do things like this are careful not to get caught. But women spend their lives being careful because of what men might do to them, and are accused of being reckless when something happens. I don't think we should have to claim any responsibility for what these men do because they can't keep their dicks in their pants.

Meliai likes this.
  20. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

It goes both ways. Some women will wrongly accuse men of things as I gave but one example of above. Some women will pursue men for various reasons.

There are no guarantees in life.

I totally agree that men have gotten away with things for far too long when it comes to things like this. Yet women that flock to men, to get their attention, as you well know also happens. They want to get close to them. They should not then expect it be easy to claim that it was his fault if something gets out of hand.

I have rejected the offer of being given oral sex by a date once. She went NUTS that I rejected her!!!! I mean nuts enough that I was fearing she was gonna get violent. The names she called me where astonishing. Should I have turned her in for sexual misconduct as a result? Me rejecting her advances is what caused her reaction. Does that make it my fault?

I just blew her off as a crazy b***ch and never ever made any contact with her again. Man she could have said I did something wrong and I would have been stuck trying to defend what happened. Would not have been easy to do.

Navigate carefully through life. You are always at risk to some extent no matter what. Any man is a potential threat to women. Any woman can be a threat to men.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    la Principessa likes this.